Apple airtag

nathrix

It definitely not suitable for tracking something in excess of a range of say 100m

It’ll give you a location anywhere in the world as long as someone with an iPhone passes by it at some stage.

It’ll give you a location anywhere in the world as long as someone with an iPhone passes by it at some stage.

My understanding is that it doesn't have to be an iphone?

Voids your warranty, but this video shows you how to solve the problem of it beeping when stolen. Although from the other video posted, that might not even be an issue (might only beep when the thief gets home/to the chop shop).

I’m going to stick one under my road bike saddle. Never been worried about these but on our new house, bikes will be stored outside in the shed.

My understanding is that it doesn't have to be an iphone?

It does have to be a iPhone to report location. However if in “lost mode” any phone can “tap” the tag and get taken to a webpage that the owner can leave a message on. “Like if found, please call me on xxx” etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Any idea where the 3D printed housings mentioned in GPLama's video can be procured locally?

• 8 months later...

Anyone using these?

Not super impressed with local proximity tracking. You need to be really close before the directions are useful to locating the lost item. 

I want to place one on my keys for when we go riding. You never know when you drop them. I was hoping it would give a better idea of where you dropped them. 

Could also have been useful to track my riding partner when we split up on the trail. 

• 2 months later...

Bought the Laut Bike Tag Bottle Mount for AirTag

Sits on the bottle cage mounts. Hope my bottle still fits. Tight already.