Any hubbers can assist or advise on financing a new bike?

blinx

And to think you guys complain about the discussions in parliament.

Actually, thank goodness you guys are not in parliament.

Looking at their girths i strongly believe they dont cycle, but they should

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And to think you guys complain about the discussions in parliament.

Actually, thank goodness you guys are not in parliament.

Mr Speaker. Please would you take another look at the people actually in Parliament and re-evaluate your position on this. I feel we would do a better job.

In fact, I nominate ICM as Minister for Ice Cream. I would like to tender to supply. Its just that I don’t want those poor Cuban engineers to go home without a decent supply King Cone. Kit Kat flavour. (I will get finance at 75% from Ajay). This latter disclosure keeps this post on topic, I guess.

if the motivation is health/fitness then work out how much a gym contract will cost you per month vs how much a bike will cost per month.

I'd rather have a bike than a gym contract

THIS ^^^

Having done the gym thing on and off over the years I KNOW myself well enough to know that I am not the typical gym user ....

doing "noting" aint good either ... 

cycling is my addiction of choice, and works well to keep me active.  Though I have added in a good dose of daily walking.

YES - I have often replied on the "financial planning" side of taking a loan to pay for a bike .... as many other have done in the vast majority of replies to this thread.

HOWEVER, the OP is a long time member of the forum.  Clearly he HAS read the same financial planning comments on hundreds of similar threads ....  

None of our business as to "why" he "needs" to buy his next bike via a loan.  What he really needs is tips and advise on the BEST loan provider, and what pitfalls (contractual fine print) to look out for ....

Yes and no. I NEED my bicycle. I also need a house but I don't need to own one.

Also, financing a bike is hardly a sin. 

If you have steady income but can only 'save' R1000 a month, it will take 40 months to buy a 'decent' bike. But if you get it financed you can then pay off R1000 a month, have a bike and take 50 months to pay it off.

Which, in my books, is better than having no bike for 4 years.

I've checked a few times now but I still don't see bicycle on Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.

I've checked a few times now but I still don't see bicycle on Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.

maybe not in the bottom tiers ..... but it might well be very pertinent higher up the hierarchy  ;)   

Edited by EddieV

So how much is your health worth then?

Health is complex and has many facets.

If all you do is cycle then you'll be very fit but your relationship with your wife will be in tatters, you run the risk of being run over by a car, you are more like to get skin cancer at a later stage, etc.

So the price of my health is measured relative to something else.

The price of your health in my opinion is somewhat mutually exclusive and incurs diminishing marginal returns. Going away for a weekend or week is good for your health (if you can afford it). Going on holiday for 1 year or 5 years is arguably bad for your health.

It's there between Self Fulfillment and Health.

A bike may be an investment in your health, but do is a cheaper bike, a pair of tekkies, a set of dumbbells and a yoga mat.

I reckon the best way to finance a bike is to be ahead of your home loan enough to skim the amount from there. Otherwise maybe a personal loan. The thing is, the finance facilities offered by bike shops are close to loan shark territory.

Depends WHERE you look ....

The average weekend-warrior .... the bike is the same the as the brand of golf clubs on Maslow's system ...  surely a loan is the way to go to keep up appearances ....

Looking at that commuter that is cycling to work, nope, pushing his very old bike with a flat tire in the rain .... this is a country of utter extremes.  HOWEVER, this commuter wont qualify for a loan on a bike in any event ....

somewhere between these two extremes MANY use a loan to buy a bike, to actually cycle it .... 

just because I dont want to finance a bike is no reason for me to tell the next person how they should spend their money .....

Edited by ChrisF

The title heading and post seem a bit ambiguous? Like also requesting hubbers to assist you on financing?

Your post needs a bit more detail on what you're looking for.

As far as financing providers go there are a few and pretty much all of them are on offer at bike shops. Typically you're looking at Wesbank/FNB, Yonda etc
At the end of the day their rates and terms are much of a muchness, interest is generally in the range of 20%

Plenty good advice in the thread as well, among the Rich Dad Poor Dad discussion.

20% interest rate says who? I'm with Yonda and my rate was nowhere near that. Hate away, but I can afford my installment plus a little extra every now and again to shorten the term.

The keyword was generally in the range of, and there's a post on this very thread that uses a calculator from a cycle finance site.

Pointing out a simple fact isn't "hate" not sure how you read into that. Take a breath.

The keyword was generally in the range of, and there's a post on this very thread that uses a calculator from a cycle finance site.

Pointing out a simple fact isn't "hate" not sure how you read into that. Take a breath.

Sorry Dassie, not intended to rile you up. But the 20% figure is high in my experience. I'm just getting my flame suit ready for those who want to roast me for making a deal with the devil to get the bike I wanted

I don't even need to read this thread beyond page 1. Seen it all before, if you have to finance a bike, you can't afford that bike.

But it's not binary. There's more flavours than financed bike and walking.

Buy a bike in your budget range