Seized alloy seatpost in a carbon frame

pietfiets

I have had success with a pinarello using lots of Q20 then boiling water. But have also been told that it could crack the carbon so maybe a last resort.

I have successfully removed a seat post from a carbon frame with a grinder and hand saw. It took about a week part time but no liquid in any form worked. The post was seized for more than 4 years

I have successfully removed a seat post from a carbon frame with a grinder and hand saw. It took about a week part time but no liquid in any form worked. The post was seized for more than 4 years

Lol..I was actually just about to post a pic of a grinder as a joke but you did it!

A mate of mine did it this way. Cut the seat post off and then very carefully cut a line down the seat post to compress it and then remove it.

Be patient and good luck. please post pics of the progress

I used a product from Wurth call Rostoff I think

Sprayed tons of it and then a day or 2 later put the bike on a vice seatpost first and then used the bike as leverage

It worked once and failed once

I removed steel post stuck into steel frame by soaking Q5 oil overnight into the post - frame area. Then gripping post with adjustable pipe wrench, turning it. Damaged the seat post a bit, frame was fine.

use a extinguisher with co2 around the frame where seatpost is stuck , it freezes the area and seatpost comes out quite quickly

The reason why I did not go for a cooling down option (I looked at using dry ice) on carbon is because I am not sure what the extreme cooling will do to the structural integrity of the carbon. I mean it is two completely different materials that expand and contract at different rates. But this is just my opinion though  :blink:

use a extinguisher with co2 around the frame where seatpost is stuck , it freezes the area and seatpost comes out quite quickly

sterkte... :ph34r:

galvanic corrosion  

With carbon and aluminium as the two things? Surely it can only ever happen between two metals?

Is this bloke's "carbon" frame one of those ones we see in the classifieds here with the welds on them?

How would an alloy seatpost get stuck in a carbon frame anyway?

With carbon and aluminium as the two things? Surely it can only ever happen between two metals?

Is this bloke's "carbon" frame one of those ones we see in the classifieds here with the welds on them?

How would an alloy seatpost get stuck in a carbon frame anyway?

I dont know anything about this, but from watching Mike Patey on youtube building a bush plane out of carbon fibre, he mentioned the corrosion a few times where he used Aluminium and as such he put and insulating layer between the carbon and aluminium so they are never in direct contact.