Shimano Introduces New 'Linkglide' Drivetrain Technology with Bold Longevity Claims

BaGearA

p5pb20518644.jpg

Shimano introduces a new drivetrain technology today, Linkglide. It’s designed not to be the lightest weight but to prioritise durability and shift performance. It also represents something of a fork in the road for the brand’s drivetrains. There will still be Hyperglide+, and this will remain the lightweight fast shifting performance range, while Linkglide will sit alongside their current offerings, as opposed to replacing them.

Shimano claims that their testing shows that Linkglide cassettes are 300% more durable than prior Hyperglide cassettes, and three times less degradation to the cassette should mean fewer chain skips, more mileage, and better shifting long into the cassette’s lifespan.

p5pb20518647.jpg
p5pb20518646.jpg
Linkglide will be available in either 10 speed Deore (RD-M5130-SGS) or 11 speed Deore XT (RD-M8130-SGS).

Before we all celebrate too quickly, there is one small catch - the Linkglide technology, while introduced in Deore 1x10 or XT 1x11 speed as a highly durable option, is not cross compatible or retrofittable with current drivetrains due to different gear pitches. All Linkglide components will feature a logo to differentiate them from their stablemates.

p5pb20518645.jpg
p5pb20518643.jpg
A CS-LG600-11 11-50T XT cassette, pictured, weighs 780g. The CS-LG600-10 11-43T Deore cassette is slightly lighter at 634g.

The teeth of Linkglide cassettes are made from plated steel with a new shape to reduce wear and tear. The teeth feature a thicker and more robust construction to prevent wear in the areas that experience the most degradation over time. Linkglide cassette teeth are also taller and stronger towards the tips to prevent chain skipping and tooth deformation, even as the miles add up. Sprockets 11T, 13T, 15T of the cassettes are replaceable.

The Linkglide cassettes also feature a new shifting gate design and position, enabling the chain to move smoothly across the sprockets. These gates aim to reduce pedal shock or jumps during shifting, providing better pedaling fluidity and smoother pedaling performance.

p5pb20518649.jpg
p5pb20518648.jpg
The SL-M8130-R XT shifter; the SL-M5130-R Deore shifter is available with an optional shift window.

Two new shifters, again Deore and XT, are available. The XT has multiple clamping options whereas the Deore makes do with a simple band. The shifters use a different pull ratio to the rest of Shimano's range so are not compatible with non-Linkglide systems. They are, however, somewhat interchangeable with each other thanks to a linear pull ratio. That means an 11 speed shifter will work on a 10 speed derailleur.

Linkglide cassettes are compatible with standard HG freehubs. To accompany the new Linkglide cassettes, there are also new Deore XT and Deore derailleurs and shifters. The derailleurs feature Shimano’s Shadow RD+ low profile design and clutch mechanism.

All Linkglide drivetrains use a common chain design, regardless of the number of cogs on the cassette. Existing 11-speed Shimano chains are compatible with Linkglide drivetrains. It’s perhaps also worth noting that all Shimano 11-speed chains are currently e-bike rated or e-bike designed.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder two things: 

1. What sort of price range we'll be looking at for this shinny new kit?
  2. How much more miles will this deliver?

I mean, if you get let's say 10-15% more in terms of miles but the product is 25-30% more expensive then you get where I am heading  :whistling:

I wonder two things:

• What sort of price range we'll be looking at for this shinny new kit?
  • How much more miles will this deliver?
I mean, if you get let's say 10-15% more in terms of miles but the product is 25-30% more expensive then you get where I am heading :whistling:

I thi k it will be similar pricing, mostly steel construction

Those cassette weights are nogal crazy but there's a market for them

I wonder two things:

• What sort of price range we'll be looking at for this shinny new kit?
  • How much more miles will this deliver?
I mean, if you get let's say 10-15% more in terms of miles but the product is 25-30% more expensive then you get where I am heading :whistling:

It says 300% in the article...

300% more durable, I wonder how they measured that. I mean if a normal cassette gives you 5000km will this one then give 15000km? I mean I was being conservative, you may never need to replace the drivetrain  :clap:

It says 300% in the article...

300% more durable, I wonder how they measured that. I mean if a normal cassette gives you 5000km will this one then give 15000km? I mean I was being conservative, you may never need to replace the drivetrain :clap:

The theory sounds good (plated steel, thicker wear points etc).

Half their claim is conservative - 5% of the total is just criminal :-)

That said - I'm a bit of a Shimano fan boy so I'm definitely biased.

300% more durable, I wonder how they measured that. I mean if a normal cassette gives you 5000km will this one then give 15000km? I mean I was being conservative, you may never need to replace the drivetrain  :clap:

5 and 15k? You need to ride more.

So basically Shimano is launching more parts they can't deliver

Serious question...

Why do you hate Shimano? I'm genuinely interested as you seem to slate their products at every opportunity.

I mean, on a hardtail trail bike these make sense. I don't want a super light groupo. I want something that will last as it's a 3rd bike and built for hooning.

I am genuinely interested though in your hatred of Shimano