Ultegra 8000 lever goes all the way back

MudLark

So seeing as the OP’s issue is resolved, I was wondering if I could hijack the thread for a sec with a question. My mountain bike sleeps vertically on a wall hook. When i take it down the brake levers are all mush, and go right down to the handlbar. Takes a few pumps and then all is good, no issues at all. Except the other day just after porting up a very steep little hill, I had the same. No brakes, pump pump, and all good again. Does this mean that my brakes need to be bled?

Yes and you should not be hanging your mountain bike like that!

It should be sleeping comfortably somewhere safe inside beside your bedside ... [emoji12]

Seriously though I would suggest a brake bleed anyway.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys,

I recently had a bike frame repainted. I dropped it off at the company in question – the entire bike – and they did the whole job from end to end.

When I got the bike back, I noticed that my left brake – Ultegra 8000 – was spongy, taking low and then taking higher and higher as one pumped it. Because it is a fair distance from my house to the paint shop, I took the bike to my local bike shop took a quick look at it. They are a pretty reputable shop. They told me that they found there was too much fluid in the system and that they had removed some. I rode the bike a bit – maybe 50Ks or so - and in the morning found that the brake lever now goes all the way back to the handlebars. Back to the bike shop who tell me that they are concerned that the overfilling may have damaged the internals as there are no visible leaks. The paint shop of course is insisting that it must be just bubbles. But I can't see how bubbles, in the absence of any visible leaks, can result in a lever that goes all the way back to the handlebars. When you pump the lever, it does though take a bit higher – about half way up.

Any thoughts as to whether this can be "just bubbles"?

How was the paint job?

Who did the paintjob?

Would you recommend them to do other jobs?

Yes and you should not be hanging your mountain bike like that!

It should be sleeping comfortably somewhere safe inside beside your bedside ... [emoji12]

Seriously though I would suggest a brake bleed anyway.

Thanks Bennie!

We got bike apartheid in this house. Mountain bikes in the garage, road bikes molly coddled inside.[emoji3]

On 5/11/2021 at 6:01 AM, King_Crispy said:

How was the paint job?

Who did the paintjob?

Would you recommend them to do other jobs?

Unbelievably good.

XXXX.

Without any hesitation at all.

Edited by MudLark