Ultegra 8000 lever goes all the way back

MudLark

Hi guys,

I recently had a bike frame repainted. I dropped it off at the company in question – the entire bike – and they did the whole job from end to end.

When I got the bike back, I noticed that my left brake – Ultegra 8000 – was spongy, taking low and then taking higher and higher as one pumped it. Because it is a fair distance from my house to the paint shop, I took the bike to my local bike shop took a quick look at it. They are a pretty reputable shop. They told me that they found there was too much fluid in the system and that they had removed some. I rode the bike a bit – maybe 50Ks or so - and in the morning found that the brake lever now goes all the way back to the handlebars. Back to the bike shop who tell me that they are concerned that the overfilling may have damaged the internals as there are no visible leaks. The paint shop of course is insisting that it must be just bubbles. But I can't see how bubbles, in the absence of any visible leaks, can result in a lever that goes all the way back to the handlebars. When you pump the lever, it does though take a bit higher – about half way up.

Any thoughts as to whether this can be "just bubbles"?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a proper bleed should be enough to sort this out. Have a look at the Shimano dealer manual for the full and proper process and make sure the dealer does it exactly the same way. Otherwise buy some Shimano oil and DIY. It is well worth being able to do it at home

How does a trip to the paint shop increase the fluid in the brake?  The internals are also pretty basic so if the lever or caliper is not sticking I doubt that there is damage.  Sounds like a good bleed needed to me.

Sounds like a proper bleed should be enough to sort this out. Have a look at the Shimano dealer manual for the full and proper process and make sure the dealer does it exactly the same way. Otherwise buy some Shimano oil and DIY. It is well worth being able to do it at home

Okay, thanks. I have read on the web that the internals can be damaged irretrievably by overfilling. But I don't really know. Which is why I was asking.

How does a trip to the paint shop increase the fluid in the brake?  The internals are also pretty basic so if the lever or caliper is not sticking I doubt that there is damage.  Sounds like a good bleed needed to me.

David, to answer your question, the entire bike is stripped down in order for the frame and fork and seatpost to be sanded and repainted. That entails stripping out the brake system as well. In respect of the rare break, the hose runs through the frame. So you basically have to dismantle the brake system entirely and rebuild it again afterwards. Not the components of the caliper and the lever but all the fluid is removed, the hose is removed, et cetera.

I'm trying to understand how the system can be overfilled.

I am also trying to figure that out.
it is not like a car where you have more volume for oil that what amount you need to put in

The whole idea with hydraulic brakes are that you fill all the space with fluid.

Hi guys,

I recently had a bike frame repainted. I dropped it off at the company in question – the entire bike – and they did the whole job from end to end.

When I got the bike back, I noticed that my left brake – Ultegra 8000 – was spongy, taking low and then taking higher and higher as one pumped it. Because it is a fair distance from my house to the paint shop, I took the bike to my local bike shop took a quick look at it. They are a pretty reputable shop. They told me that they found there was too much fluid in the system and that they had removed some. I rode the bike a bit – maybe 50Ks or so - and in the morning found that the brake lever now goes all the way back to the handlebars. Back to the bike shop who tell me that they are concerned that the overfilling may have damaged the internals as there are no visible leaks. The paint shop of course is insisting that it must be just bubbles. But I can't see how bubbles, in the absence of any visible leaks, can result in a lever that goes all the way back to the handlebars. When you pump the lever, it does though take a bit higher – about half way up.

Any thoughts as to whether this can be "just bubbles"?

Sounds like they stripped it and then just re-assembled it for the painting. IMO flush the system, bleed properly and then see where you land. If you are getting lever travel how new and thick are your brake pads? Maybe. anew set as well? It will crisp up your brakes.

David, to answer your question, the entire bike is stripped down in order for the frame and fork and seatpost to be sanded and repainted. That entails stripping out the brake system as well. In respect of the rare break, the hose runs through the frame. So you basically have to dismantle the brake system entirely and rebuild it again afterwards. Not the components of the caliper and the lever but all the fluid is removed, the hose is removed, et cetera.

needs a good bleed - the shimano bleed process doesn't have much risk of damage.

I'm trying to understand how the system can be overfilled.

The only way I can think of is if you push the lever without the wheel in until the pads meet then bleed the system then use a spreader to open the pads back to normal position....

The only way I can think of is if you push the lever without the wheel in until the pads meet then bleed the system then use a spreader to open the pads back to normal position....

You can break anything if you try hard enough I guess...

OP - to add to the chorus, get it properly bled.

Looks like a complete system flush with Shimano OEM oil and cleaning some fittings has solved the problem. Some weird red pinkish fluid was found in the system. Some strange substance used as a kind of sealant also found in one of the passageway entrances.

Looks like a complete system flush with Shimano OEM oil and cleaning some fittings has solved the problem. Some weird red pinkish fluid was found in the system. Some strange substance used as a kind of sealant also found in one of the passageway entrances.

Shimano mineral oil IS reddish pink.

Glad you got the problem solved without having to replace hardware!

I could understand the paint shop possibly butchering the rebuild, but how is it that the LBS got it so wrong too.?

Anyway, at least it's sorted without too much extra cost.

I'm surprised at your surprise.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/188771-cajees-strubens-valley-terrible-customer-service/

Lots of LBS's should be converted to Tops by the look of things.

That's a whole other story.! LOL

To quote the OP:

"I took the bike to my local bike shop took a quick look at it. They are a pretty reputable shop."

They are pretty reputable. Surely they can't be compared to the store in the other thread. LOL