Galaxy 29er ?

Malico

Hi Guys,

Does anyone here have any experience with the Galaxy mountain bike range?  I can get a Medium frame 29er with a 24 speed Shimano set and Disc brakes, I am looking to replace my son's Raleigh 4.2 Dual suspension with 26" wheels, as he is busy outgrowing it.

Input will be appreciated.

If the price fits within your budget then that's the one. The Galaxy brand has been around since 2013 and comes from China. (As does the majority of all other major brands). Everything on a bike can be replaced / upgraded if the base (frame) you slap the upgrades onto is compatible. Things like steerer and BB config can hamper your upgrade quest. It may then better to go for a more renowned brand

Hi Guys,

Does anyone here have any experience with the Galaxy mountain bike range? I can get a Medium frame 29er with a 24 speed Shimano set and Disc brakes, I am looking to replace my son's Raleigh 4.2 Dual suspension with 26" wheels, as he is busy outgrowing it.

Rather look for a gently used, better brand, better spec 29er HT. Even if you have to go up to about R6k - R7k.

You don't want to throw money into a cheap entry level base bike by upgrading it.

Besides, the sum of the parts are considerably more expensive than the sum of the whole - so cheaper to buy a better spec'd bike than to upgrade a low spec'd bike.

The galaxy will also have zero resale value should you want to upgrade at a later stage whilst a silverback or similar will probably sell 3rd hand for the same as what you'll pay 2nd hand.

Also, check if disc brakes are mechanical or hydraulic - opt rather for the latter.

Thank you very much for your input guys, I think  both of you just confirmed my gutt feel. 

My opinion, and note, this is my opinion: I would not go for 29er. I would opt for a 2nd hand 26er or 650B. The bigger wheels for your son will be too bulky and slow. 

29ers are great but for a smaller / shorter rider the bigger wheels add very little to no value. 

Last thing I want to add: Determine your budget and try to stick to it. You can easily go R500 higher for one bike and then see another for R500 higher than that and then before you know it you're sitting on R10k  :thumbup:. But again, this is just my views and I am quite conservative in my approach (sometimes  :devil:)

Hi Guys,

Does anyone here have any experience with the Galaxy mountain bike range?  I can get a Medium frame 29er with a 24 speed Shimano set and Disc brakes, I am looking to replace my son's Raleigh 4.2 Dual suspension with 26" wheels, as he is busy outgrowing it.

My opinion, and note, this is my opinion: I would not go for 29er. I would opt for a 2nd hand 26er or 650B. The bigger wheels for your son will be too bulky and slow. 

29ers are great but for a smaller / shorter rider the bigger wheels add very little to no value. 

I cannot believe after all these years people here are still spouting this nonsense.

Thank you Robert, I can get it for R4500 new?

Lots of them on FB market place for a lot less ZARs than that...

• 8 months later...