Garmin introduces the Rally power meters

News bot

Rigorously tested pedal series introduces compatibility with SHIMANO SPD-SL and SPD cleats for on- and off-road riding.

[center][attachment=1684207:Rally - Flatlay.jpg][/center]

View full article

this totally makes sense on a road bike to me, but the beating mtb cleats in particular take...i'm not so sure a 11-20k piece of kit seems like a good idea lol. They accuracy of any sensitve measuring device becomes questionable once  smashed against a rock a few times.

You know the FCC ID is precisely the same as the Vector 3–which means the internal electronics are the same as the Vector 3's and that what you're getting are the new battery doors and ther interoperability between the different cleat types.

Hopefully they have addressed all of the battery compartment issues that were present on the Vectors. I wouldn't touch these until there has been some real-world usage and testing.

Dof question time:

Will these off road spd type PM pedals work only with a Garmin computer... or can you use another make for example M460 Polar?

Uses a open protocol. Any head unit that supports PM will see it.

Dof question time:

Will these off road spd type PM pedals work only with a Garmin computer... or can you use another make for example M460 Polar?

Uses a open protocol. Any head unit that supports PM will see it.

Yeah these talk over ANT+ and BT so any head unit that's compatible with power,

However, the LOOK Exact + PC8 bundle is a similar price to the Rally + Edge 1030 and the PC8 is lot more reliable

You know the FCC ID is precisely the same as the Vector 3–which means the internal electronics are the same as the Vector 3's and that what you're getting are the new battery doors and ther interoperability between the different cleat types.

This I find very interesting, if the FCC ID is the same then as you say, the electronics are the same.

Werent there a bunch of issues with the Vectors?

This I find very interesting, if the FCC ID is the same then as you say, the electronics are the same.

There were.  My understanding is that the concerns were primarily related to the battery door.

The internals are identical between the Vector and the Rally pedals, you can actually order only the Rally pedal casings from Garmin (although they don't have stock) and switch them between the Vector and Rally, its not a huge undertaking taking about 30 minutes I guess but not something you want to be doing on a weekly basis, perhaps if you're changing bikes on a seasonal basis it could be an option. 

I've had the dual Vectors from when they were launched in SA and they were bad, battery didn't last, power data not accurate, right pedal power would go AWOL etc... got a brand new replacement pair from Garmin which had the new battery doors and post a couple of firmware updates all of the problems were gone and data is very accurate and battery life is great now.

Just got the Rally MTB SPD pedals and did my first ride today on them, power data seemed optimistic but did have a calibration issue before the ride so hopeful that its short lived. I'll try do a comparison between my Vectors and Kickr at some point this week. 

Overall I think the Garmin pedal power meters have come a long way.....