Tandem smart trainers

Bernard Wakeford

My wife simply wont ride unless its on a tandem. We have now started riding on Zwift with an entry level Raleigh tandem on a Kickr 1 gen. Defn more sway than on a single bike, but so far so good (we have done 3x25km rides). Any comments or things to watch out for?

That's an interesting dynamic, would be interesting to see comments on what power w/kg & weight should be entered.

I wonder what your FTP would be if you did a test on Zwift.

I know a couple that ride tandem on Zwift using a Kickr. They add their weights together to simulate appropriate w/kg. On Zwift they make a surprisingly strong 140kg rider.

I don't know whether it was a joke, but Zwift are considering tandem bikes in the game. 

Wow, I have never even thought of this!

Closest setting, like mentioned earlier is to set the zwift avatar weight to the combined mass of both riders.

I am also interested in the wattage possible here...

Edited by W@nted

Great comments! Will post some pics, so far so good, combined weight is 155kms which is higher than the max of 113kgs Wahoo suggests... just hope we dont break anything ????

Edited by Bernard Wakeford

Great comments! Will post some pics, so far so good, combined weight is 155kms which is higher than the max of 113kgs Wahoo suggests... just hope we dont break anything [emoji23]

Get the Kikr climb. That should make things interesting!

Am curious the reason she does not want to ride on her own as will be much more immersive than sitting on the back of a tandem

No stability issues climbing, more sway than formal, but actually holds up very well - you cant go crazy with throwing things around obviously. One factor which is a pain is that the combined weight of the avatar, slows the watt/kg down so much that you go real slow on uphills, took as an hour to 15kms on a hilly route averaging 210 Watts... might drop it off a bit just to feel like there is some momentum ????

Am curious the reason she does not want to ride on her own as will be much more immersive than sitting on the back of a tandem

can't imagine how k.....k it must be on the back of a tandem on an IDT. Trying to look over a shoulder at the screen to get a glimpse of zwift or netflix. Stuck with a sweaty AF buttcrack right under your nose...

No stability issues climbing, more sway than formal, but actually holds up very well - you cant go crazy with throwing things around obviously. One factor which is a pain is that the combined weight of the avatar, slows the watt/kg down so much that you go real slow on uphills, took as an hour to 15kms on a hilly route averaging 210 Watts... might drop it off a bit just to feel like there is some momentum

Your downhill speeds must be insane.

If you using combined weight then you should be using combined FTP - Or divide both by 2 to use the average, that should sort it out

can't imagine how k.....k it must be on the back of a tandem on an IDT. Trying to look over a shoulder at the screen to get a glimpse of zwift or netflix. Stuck with a sweaty AF buttcrack right under your nose...

I find riding an idt to be the worst thing in the world - sitting in the back of a tandem sinks it to a whole new level - I understand why other people do it but not for me