Darkhorse Wheels launches Darkhorse Bikes division with its flagship bike, the Eclipse

News bot

53s into the first video, is clearly a girl catching the guys having pressed the button, you can see the ponytail.

So when on chappies a girl needs to push the ebike power button to keep up with three guys, also riding on ebikes?

I think you're on a weird fishing expedition without bait or tackle.

So when on chappies a girl needs to push the ebike power button to keep up with three guys, also riding on ebikes?

We live in an online world where people just cannot wait to signal how virtuous they are. Side tracking the launch of a lekker local product with rubbish like this.... eish.

I am on no expedition, you seem rather confused.

Some were saying it was not a girl on the ebike, however you can clearly see that it is... I merely pointed this out, nothing more!!

I've been cruising around on the drop bar version for the last few weeks on a mix of commutes, road rides and gravel outings. After hearing the story & about the bike and price point from the Dark Horse team I jumped at the chance to give it a test ride.

More to follow in a review soon, but I'll unashamedly say that button & the extra watts helped me keep up on a few hills on a regular roadie morning loop. 

Some were saying it was not a girl on the ebike, however you can clearly see that it is... I merely pointed this out, nothing more!!

yup. i am rather confused. 4 different people riding an ebike, all of them using it to give them a little "boost". Yet somehow we seem hung up on how 25% of the models are seen as weak because they are female?

This is all just a silly sidetrack when we should really be discussing the bike Mike's fabulous beard.

I only saw the second video on my phone, first one did not load. Tough Monday here.

Oh, yes sorry that makes more sense now.    

Edited by ashortchase

Sorry to derail the derailed thread .... to get back on topic for a moment .....

So WHAT do they bring to the market - looking at the LUNA AL-F1:

https://darkhorsebikes.com/product/luna-al-f1/ 

- gravel bike type commuter setup

- 1x11

- the 44 ring to 11-42 cassette is VERY nice !!  Most ebikes are horribly under geared ... finally a bike that allows you to do a decent speed along downhills, and as long as the legs last along the flats .... NICE !

- 250W motor (very typical size motor to fit in with the various countries that actually limit ebikes)

- 248Wh battery ... OUCH !!!  This will be okay for a typical commute.  Dont bank on much more than 40km range, not if you intend using the power assist option regularly .... Those that HAVE used an ebike on a commute will know that you USE the assist during the morning commute.  Also, most of us have a backpack adding more weight to the load ....

- Range extender at R8k ... double ouch !!  Full 500Wh battery from Darrvin for R4k - granted this is for their older Connect series .... let's see what they charge for a battery for their new range of bikes.  Giant, Spez etc charge near R20k for a 500W.h battery

- assist up to 32km/h ... VERY handy !!  (though the legal SA limit is actually only 25km/h)

- fully integrated battery .... personally I am used to swopping out batteries on longer rides (much longer than their range extender will allow) .... for most COMMUTERS this will be a nice clean practical setup.  Just KNOW the very real distance limitations, and that swopping out batteries next to the road is going to be near impossible.

- HUB motor ..... these are notorious for poor performance and heavy power usage on serious hills.  Mid mount motors are technically significantly better for very hilly rides.  Certainly a much cleaner look.  And YES, a very popular layout for commuters in Europe, even in hilly areas.  

Worth noting that the "typical commuter" may also consider this:

https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/product/avalanche-ewayz-e-bike/

- Less than half the price

- similar tires

- more up-right commuter seating position (THIS may well be the decider for many ...)

- mechanical disc brakes .... down right dangerous when traveling at 30+km/h !!!  (that said, more than enough money on the table to upgrade to TOP brakes)

- 1x7 gearing .... in the hype of modern 11 and 12 speed setups this seems "very yesterday" .... the 1x8 on my e-commuter has QUICKLY shown me that it perfectly up to the job !!

- same 32km/h speed assist limit

- not sure of the battery size, but easily swopped out during longer rides.

- Also a hub motor.  This time a Bafang, for which many shops do carry spares.

OPTION THREE -

https://darrvinshop.com/ebikes/darrvin-evolve

- The Darrvin Evolve was one of the earliest commuter e-bikes on our shores.

- 250W motor

- 500Wh battery

- R4k for a new battery

- Bafang motor and controller, so spares are readily available

- Brakes .... seems similar to what I have on the Darrvin Connect .... uhm, no .... at that speed you NEED better brakes !!

What the "spec sheet" dont tell ....

- How do each FEEL when you ride it ?

- Real world power delivery at different settings ....

NICE to see more brands entering our small market  :thumbup:   :clap:

With any luck this will add a bit of competition, and more realistic prices ..... Darrvin has a new range coming this way shortly .... so even more options.  :thumbup:

E-commuters - YES, they are VERY handy !!!!!  My only "word of caution" .... CHECK the braking .....  when the person typing away on their phone drives in front of you you, you need STRONG brakes !!!!!!!!!  Even on my Darrvin I immediately upgraded the brakes

Edited by ChrisF

You need to add that the Eclipse is a fine looking bike. For me personally that is the first box I would need to check before I look further.

Most certainly !!  :thumbup:

As a SCOTT lover, I was bitterly dissapointed in the looks of the Scott ebikes .... price and spec wise I should have bought the Scott, simply could not stand the look of it.  Come to think of it ...  :eek:   On my full-sus MTB the looks was a BIG part of the decision !!  On my commuter it was function over form, and even then I carried on to add carriers and moveble racks to suit the USE of the bike ...  :ph34r:   

That said, many commuters may want to consider the specs .... so at least the post do attempt to provide some feedback and insight into the stuff most people only hear off after having bought a bike ....  :whistling:  :ph34r:   If nothing else, when looking at the next option, people will know what questions to ask ....

• 3 weeks later...