Which MTB frame will you buy?

So if you had around R40-R45k for a MTB frame, what will you buy and why?

Comments to be based on availability, meaning, makes no sense if the wait period on the frame is 12 months as an example. 

MTB to be used for trail and XC so you almost looking for a one bike build that will be your go to bike.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cotic Flare Max @ +-R38k to R42k will be hard to beat... Cotic only has smalls in stock. Check out Marino bikes for very affordable custom built frames. Production Privee, Pipedream, etc.

Steel is real :thumbup:

Ibis Ripley AF...because Ibis and DW link susension. And @ $1899 for a frameset, its a no brainer..for me that is (now..if I only had the money...)

Mercer Hungry Monkey. Handmade steel frame from Cape Town South Africa. Perfect for XC and Trail riding and you'll be supporting a local artisan. And save quite a bit of cash that can be used for an epic adventure.

Another vote for Mercer.

All depends how adventurous you are...

Hardtail or full suspension?

Id consider the following options:

Pyga Stage or Stage Max 

Mercer hardtail (he has done 1 or 2 full sus as well)

Buy a complete low end Spaz Epic Evo and customize/sell/upgrade components as required

Otherwise I dont think there's many frame only options in that prize range. (at least not what I would consider)

Typical frame only options are over R70k these days

If it was me I would sit down with David Mercer and do a short travel steel full sus bike in the same vein as Swarf 

http://www.swarfcycles.co.uk/

Yeah definitely dual suspension. 

My leaning at this point is a 2nd hand Santa Cruz Tallboy 3 here on the forum

The the Pyga Stage Max, but the frame has not shouted at me yet buy me, not sure why

Maybe I should look at the Paz suggestion.

I would get a Pyga Hyrax frame, a bit heavy for XC, but it pedals and climbs really well despite being a little heavy, and then the descents are just so much more rewarding

People so quickly to shoot down a good HT because they think the ride will be like that cheap ship you started on.

I will take a well sorted HT any day of the week over a equally priced dual.

But with a 40-45k frame budget I am guessing you looking at a 100k+ build.

If that's the case I would go for Santa Cruz but the Blur with a 120mm 34 fork.

I have only owned the first and second gen Tallboy and loved them, the third and fourth gen is little more trail focused than XC.

BUY THE BIKE THAT IS GOING TO MAKE YOU WANT TO RIDE MORE!

Yeah definitely dual suspension. 

My leaning at this point is a 2nd hand Santa Cruz Tallboy 3 here on the forum

The the Pyga Stage Max, but the frame has not shouted at me yet buy me, not sure why

Maybe I should look at the Paz suggestion.

I have both .Cannot go wrong with either,the Staga max is more of a trail bike .Does everything well .Some very happy titan synaps riders out there also 

Edited by eala

People so quickly to shoot down a good HT because they think the ride will be like that cheap ship you started on.

I will take a well sorted HT any day of the week over a equally priced dual.

But with a 40-45k frame budget I am guessing you looking at a 100k+ build.

If that's the case I would go for Santa Cruz but the Blur with a 120mm 34 fork.

I have only owned the first and second gen Tallboy and loved them, the third and fourth gen is little more trail focused than XC.

BUY THE BIKE THAT IS GOING TO MAKE YOU WANT TO RIDE MORE!

I second the hardtail statement.

So if you had around R40-R45k for a MTB frame, what will you buy and why?

Comments to be based on availability, meaning, makes no sense if the wait period on the frame is 12 months as an example. 

MTB to be used for trail and XC so you almost looking for a one bike build that will be your go to bike.

Transition Spur  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

I would go for the Speclized Epci Pro 2021 if you can get out hands on one as it's as light as the Sworks 2020 which was very light. Or a built bike like the I noted on the hub -Rocky instinct 970 MSL that is full Xt 1-12, fox shocks all for R45 K that's can be set up to ride XC or Trail with RIDE-9 and is in great Condtion. These are things you should look for. If I did not have my bike I would buy that in a flash and save a cool 40 k!

Edited by Forthelove