BB92 alternatives

Delarey

I am running Race Face PF92 Cinch in my Evil Following V1. I was just informed by my LBS that it needs replacing....again. Are there other alternatives one can use that will last longer, or is there a way to convert the BB to GXP before it bankrupts me? 

Edited by Delarey

Depends on what crank you have.

Race Face crank. I believe its a 30mm spindle. Edited by Delarey

Race Face crank. I believe its a 30mm spindle. The last BB I bought stated 46x73x30

Then a GXP BB wont work. You need a 30mm spindle specific BB.

As Fanie has advised, have a look at what Token has to offer. You can see the range at www.positivesportssolutions.co.za

BB92 with a 30m spindle gives you very few options, and none of them have replaceable bearings.

In my experience the Raceface ones, being double row, are about the longest lasting. Just make sure you service and check preload regularly.

BB92 with a 30m spindle gives you very few options, and none of them have replaceable bearings.

In my experience the Raceface ones, being double row, are about the longest lasting. Just make sure you service and check preload regularly.

Thanks Droo. My Race face BB lasted only 2000km and I had it serviced every +/- 600km. Is that about par for the course? That is way worse compared to the Shimano GXP BB on my other bike.

Thanks Droo. My Race face BB lasted only 2000km and I had it serviced every +/- 600km. Is that about par for the course? That is way worse compared to the Shimano GXP BB on my other bike.

You should be getting better mileage than that, but they're not an ideal solution because there's not enough space between the spindle and the BB shell to put a decent size bearing in.

Your best option would be to move to a Shimano crankset and a WheelsMFG thread-together BB, which will give you better bearing life and individually replaceable bearings.

Nah those bb's have buck shot for bearings I'm surprised they lasted that long.

The 30mmm axe in a BB92 frame

Race Face crank. I believe its a 30mm spindle. The last BB I bought stated 46x73x30

This is not a BB92..... I'm confused now.

The numbers you posted are for a 46mm diameter bb shell of 73mm width and for a 30mm axle.

If that fits your bike then it doesn't have a Cinch BB92.

Cinch BB92 is a 41mm diameter bore with a BB shell 92mm wide and Cinch implies its a 30mm axle.

If you bike is Shimano BB92 which is a 73mm shell with external press fit cups then you have options, high quality options too,

If its the true RF Cinch BB92 (41x92x30) then rather turn the crank into a wall clock and buy an SLX or GXP crank that will allow a bB with decent sized bearings

Slightly OT:
The first thing i thought when i read about the limited milage on your bb was:

Do you know who Hambini is and would you be willing to send him your frame so he can tear Evil a new one? Lol.

Seriously though, misaligned BB shells are a thing, especially in carbon bikes. Basically the the left and right cups arent perfectly aligned so the crank wears out the bearing prematurely...or even worse...will oval out the frame eventually.

Edited by MORNE

Nah those bb's have buck shot for bearings I'm surprised they lasted that long.

The 30mmm axe in a BB92 frame

This is not a BB92..... I'm confused now.

The numbers you posted are for a 46mm diameter bb shell of 73mm width and for a 30mm axle.

If that fits your bike then it doesn't have a Cinch BB92.

Cinch BB92 is a 41mm diameter bore with a BB shell 92mm wide and Cinch implies its a 30mm axle.

If you bike is Shimano BB92 which is a 73mm shell with external press fit cups then you have options, high quality options too,

If its the true RF Cinch BB92 (41x92x30) then rather turn the crank into a wall clock and buy an SLX or GXP crank that will allow a bB with decent sized bearings

Correction, sorry for the confusion. Yes, I got that 46x73x30 numbers off the wrong package. That is a PF30 BB I bought incorrectly. These numbers are all damn confusing. The Evil takes a BB92 with 30mm spindle. Edited by Delarey

Thanks for clearing that up because I was about to call Hambini and ask him to rip Race face a new one for yet another bb standard.

Race Face make their bb with double row bearings to get the life expectancy up. Their reasoning must be that more balls = longer life when what really makes a bearing life longer is sufficient lubrication and big balls. Small balls rolling in a very confined space is never going to last unless they can somehow create a wet sump in the bottom bracket and prevent the oil seepage with tighter seals or a clever labyrinth system. All I hear here is cha-ching cha-ching of the cash register opening and closing.

The best solution is a 24mm axle or GXP axle crank a close second

Thanks for clearing that up because I was about to call Hambini and ask him to rip Race face a new one for yet another bb standard.

Race Face make their bb with double row bearings to get the life expectancy up. Their reasoning must be that more balls = longer life when what really makes a bearing life longer is sufficient lubrication and big balls. Small balls rolling in a very confined space is never going to last unless they can somehow create a wet sump in the bottom bracket and prevent the oil seepage with tighter seals or a clever labyrinth system. All I hear here is cha-ching cha-ching of the cash register opening and closing.

The best solution is a 24mm axle or GXP axle crank a close second

He (Hambini) actually has an episode about this - small balls in big holes for 30mm spindles (are we still talking about bearings?)

He also mentioned what you wrote.... that the bearing ends up too thin and that in conjunction with the other possible flaws end up eating bb bearings. He’s a definite shimano fan but explained why a 24mm spindle and fatter bearing leads to better life and performance overall.

Edited by MORNE