Whats the Cost of a standard shifting cable ????

Stavros94

I was just charged 140 for two shift cables by a bike shop near me I’ll call it X. I still have to fit them my self ???? feeling shafted. I always get charged 30 to 35 rand ????

Thoughts. ????

hmmm...anywhere from R30 to R100 or more. Depends on the cable...Sunrace from Sportsmans Whorehouse, R20..>Will they work? Yes. Will they fell good? Maybe. Will they last? Maybe

XTR shift cables...a LOAD more. Are they worth it? No, not IMO. But i work on my bike often enough that if my shifting goes to **** i can work around it.

So i guess the short answer is...you probably weren't ripped a new one at all.

Shimano DURA Ace cables are R189-00 ea.......

and they need to replaced often

Jagwire Proslick is about R120 ea and well worth the money

R40 for a rear (shift) cable, is what I paid a few months back. Didn’t think twice about the cost.

Edit: didn’t think twice

Edited by Frosty

I was just charged 140 for two shift cables by a bike shop near me I’ll call it X. I still have to fit them my self feeling shafted. I always get charged 30 to 35 rand

Thoughts.

Why didn't you simply leave the cables on the counter and buy elsewhere?

You need to add the casing into the equation. Maybe the better option is buy in bulk and sell them at cost to your friends. R100 for a cable+casing seems to me to be excessive. 

Edited by NC