Vitality with Apple Watch / Strava

Steady Spin

Having endless issues getting this to work. 

I have Strava premium

- Strava is used on my Apple Watch to track my workouts. 

- I have Strava linked to Apple Health for obvious reasons. 

- I have Zwift, Rouvy, and Sufferfest linked to Strava.

- I synced Apple Health to Discovery app with full permissions.

- I synced Strava to Discover app with full permissions.

Since nothing was pulling through I decided to contact Discovery. What a **** show. 

Apparently I can't use Strava on my watch and I need to track my workouts using the Apple workouts. No other third party apps should be connected to Health either or if I use Strava nothing can be connected to that either. 

How exactly is this supposed to work then? Something seems very stupid here. Either me or Discovery.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Same over here. You need to use the workout app on the watch to get your vitality points. It only takes a moment to import the watch workouts into strava after you’ve done them. I tend to use my Garming for long rides, but the watch is also great.

How do you import the watch workout into Strava then? 

Don't you use the Strava app on your watch at all? How does the Sync work then to Strava? Healthfit app?

Edited by Steady Spin

someone else might chime in but as far as i remember Discovery removed some 3rd party app support from vitality because of people cheating or something. I dont know. If the device or app is not listed in the discovery app under devices and apps/link device or app (fitbit, garmin, huawei, Polar, Suunto) you are going to have a struggle on your hands. You need HR info that syncs with one of those apps, which then logs it with discovery. I personally use a polar HR monitor, which logs everything with the polar flow app - which then updates all the rest. it's painless. Discovery and Strava then draws info from my polar app. It automatically takes route, HR, calorie infow etc from the polar app.

PS: this is also on a apple device

Edited by MORNE

The Apple Watch seems to be where my problem sits. 

I don't use the Health functions on my watch. I only use the Strava app. 
Strava then does the rest for me with passing the info on to the Health App on my phone. 

Rouvy, Zwift, Sufferfest all sync with Strava and gets updated into Health App. 

Looks like I'm cancelling Vitality then. No point having it to be honest if the active rewards isn't working.

My experience is that everything Apple is just plain stupid...

Get a Garmin and all your problems will be resolved...

Edited by JBK

that seems a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face? lol

easy to fix and vitality benifits are far more than just active rewards. 

Edited by MORNE

You dont need to spend more 1000s on a garmin. Go to sportmans and get a polar Hr moniro for like 500 or 600 bucks and your set. pretty sure the polar beat and flow apps are on apple watch too.

Edit:
Polar~Vitality~Apple Health~Strava

edit 2: if you use the polar app to log your ride out on the road it wiull use your gps just like strava to log your route and segments etc....and sync that with strava. Thats basically all i use strava for these days....to see if i went faster on certain segments than previous times

post-64325-0-01332600-1620118567_thumb.jpeg

post-64325-0-09249700-1620118583_thumb.jpeg

post-64325-0-28154800-1620118594_thumb.jpeg

post-64325-0-10732800-1620118601_thumb.jpeg

Edited by MORNE

that seems a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face? lol

easy to fix and vitality benifits are far more than just active rewards. 

I use very little of the Vitality rewards to be honest. Dunno. Will see.

Edited by Steady Spin

The Apple Watch seems to be where my problem sits. 

I don't use the Health functions on my watch. I only use the Strava app. 

Strava then does the rest for me with passing the info on to the Health App on my phone. 

Rouvy, Zwift, Sufferfest all sync with Strava and gets updated into Health App. 

Looks like I'm cancelling Vitality then. No point having it to be honest if the active rewards isn't working.

I have the series 1 Apple watch, still going strong after many years. For Vitality purposes I just use the integrated workout app. It just removes the hassle of me uploading my garmin workouts - which I do whenever I feel like it. Sometimes I go a few weeks between garmin uploads. The watch saves me the hassle and I get my points allocated within minutes. 

The garmin is used for at the same time. Sometimes I do longer rides as the watch/phone combo will not last long enough. It lasts long enough for me to get maximum points based on duration/HR though.  

I couldn't be bothered with uploading my garmin after every ride, also not bothered with Strava that much either. But that is just me and the watch saves me the hassle. 

Quite simple. when you add your Apple watch to Strava via the permissions screen, every time you log a workout on the watch you will receive a notification in Strava to do an import of the activity. It's quite straight forward.

Used to get those free coffees but then Disco went all like aggro on Strava cheats and messed it up for the majority who didn't cheat. I tried the driving app but every time I accelerated to merge with cars doing 120 on the freeway I got red alerts because I was exceeding the 60km/h limit on the on ramps. I pointed this out to them and they made some excuse and changed nothing. So I ditched the app. Having to pay extra for the privilege of maybe getting a discount on something I probably didn't need just rubs salt in the wound as far as my wife and I are concerned. :-) 

I have the series 1 Apple watch, still going strong after many years. For Vitality purposes I just use the integrated workout app. It just removes the hassle of me uploading my garmin workouts - which I do whenever I feel like it. Sometimes I go a few weeks between garmin uploads. The watch saves me the hassle and I get my points allocated within minutes. 

The garmin is used for at the same time. Sometimes I do longer rides as the watch/phone combo will not last long enough. It lasts long enough for me to get maximum points based on duration/HR though.  

I couldn't be bothered with uploading my garmin after every ride, also not bothered with Strava that much either. But that is just me and the watch saves me the hassle. 

I use Strava and not planning on dropping it anytime soon. Otherwise this thread wouldn't exist :P

Used to get those free coffees but then Disco went all like aggro on Strava cheats and messed it up for the majority who didn't cheat. I tried the driving app but every time I accelerated to merge with cars doing 120 on the freeway I got red alerts because I was exceeding the 60km/h limit on the on ramps. I pointed this out to them and they made some excuse and changed nothing. So I ditched the app. Having to pay extra for the privilege of maybe getting a discount on something I probably didn't need just rubs salt in the wound as far as my wife and I are concerned. :-) 

vitality basically pays half our monthly food spend. If you know how to play the system... It's way more than free coffee lol

Quite simple. when you add your Apple watch to Strava via the permissions screen, every time you log a workout on the watch you will receive a notification in Strava to do an import of the activity. It's quite straight forward.

You lost me there. My imports are automatic into Strava on my phone via the watch app. 

I use very little of the Vitality rewards to be honest. Dunno. Will see.

And here lies the "problem" ....

You need to buy into the full Vitality system to maximise your benefits ....

And this counts for all the members on your plan.