Vitality with Apple Watch / Strava

Steady Spin

And here lies the "problem" ....

You need to buy into the full Vitality system to maximise your benefits ....

And this counts for all the members on your plan.

I would like to benefit from this to be honest. 

Things like shopping at Pick n Pay for example. Our local branch is horrific and Woolworths is just too expensive for us. We use Checkers. 

Clicks is also out and we use Dischem but it's mostly just for prescriptions and the spend is not that big. 

The question I'm asking myself here is "Will I get more that R300 back?" 

This is not about using Vitality though. It is how you link your damn Apple Health data to Discovery while keeping Strava in tact. 

Seems like you can't have both. 

So, should I record with both apps and treat them as separate apps? 

Edited by Steady Spin

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, drop vitality and get a proper sports watch and coach(No an apple watch isn't a true sports watch).

Much like the 'exercise every day' on strava challenge, or strava social pressure, or discovery points targets. You will get better health and fitness from a proper structured training plan from a coach recorded into something like training peaks or intervals. Chasing these silly unplanned not thought out targets is often counter productive.

Discovery points are still inherently badly structured and easily cheated using nothing more than a find and replace function and they cannot fix it. If you run 20,9km you get little points but if you walk another 200m you get a lot of points. If your 5km run in the week takes 17mins you get 0 points. If you walk parkrun on sat in 40mins you get 300. Even though it takes a lot more health and fitness to crack a 17min 5km.

Once you factor in the amount of your personal time at your hourly rate you will soon learn it is really not that economic. Remember, in the end someone, somewhere is making money or hitting a strategic goal.

Honestly, drop vitality and get a proper sports watch and coach(No an apple watch isn't a true sports watch).

Much like the 'exercise every day' on strava challenge, or strava social pressure, or discovery points targets. You will get better health and fitness from a proper structured training plan from a coach recorded into something like training peaks or intervals. Chasing these silly unplanned not thought out targets is often counter productive.

Discovery points are still inherently badly structured and easily cheated using nothing more than a find and replace function and they cannot fix it. If you run 20,9km you get little points but if you walk another 200m you get a lot of points. If your 5km run in the week takes 17mins you get 0 points. If you walk parkrun on sat in 40mins you get 300. Even though it takes a lot more health and fitness to crack a 17min 5km.

Once you factor in the amount of your personal time at your hourly rate you will soon learn it is really not that economic. Remember, in the end someone, somewhere is making money or hitting a strategic goal.

What is wrong with using an Apple Watch? 

You lost me there. My imports are automatic into Strava on my phone via the watch app. 

Then where is the problem?

this is only partly true imo. Why it's important to have an accurate HR measuring device because they base the majority of how and how much points are awarded according to what % of your maximum HR you achieved during your session. You get 300 points for a 60min session for instance if you clapped it at 70%+....but on "recovery rides" you only get around a 100 to 150. Same for 30min rides. Yes it's time based too but there has to be some sort of median when you consider the vast spread of people using it. You cant expect to get 300 points for walking around the block for 30 minutes. Even though it's healthy...it's just not enough to be considered moderate exercise. the way they award points are defo more in line with sustained effort over time.

Edited by MORNE

They also done away with the bicycle benefit  :thumbdown:  some of my Strava rides do appear on the vitality app, others don't 

How do you import the watch workout into Strava then?

Don't you use the Strava app on your watch at all? How does the Sync work then to Strava? Healthfit app?

You open strava, click on the link and it automatically imports it, once you’ve set it up. Literally takes about 5 seconds per workout

I'm still lost. 

I need to disconnect everything and start all over again. See what happens and work out how it works.

I'm still lost.

I need to disconnect everything and start all over again. See what happens and work out how it works.

It’s fairly simple. Just follow the steps in the link I shared. If you are then still struggling let me know and I’ll get someone to send you mire info.

You lost me there. My imports are automatic into Strava on my phone via the watch app.

I don’t have Strava on my Apple watch, but it is integrated with my Strava.

I did a 10 minute workout using the Apple Workout App, after reading your OP, and this is what Strava shows me.

37494d6b5eb6ffb376c5d35957411866.jpg

Thanks Frosty.

That is what I was looking for.

My settings in the Strava App.

50dfd2d9870e970903f668b191b8758f.jpg

As mentioned before, I don’t have the Strava app installed on my watch, but you may need to install it to setup the integration. I did it 3 years ago, so can’t remember everything.

I do know that if the HR is not working in the Strava app, there’s a specific sequence to work through, i.e. uninstalling, rebooting, installing, etc, and in a specific sequence.

The reason for not using the Strava app on the watch:

1. I have a chest strap linked to a FR735XT and a Lezyne head unit.

2. The watch can’t accept iOS updates, due to limited memory. So I reset the device each time an update becomes available.

Thanks Frosty.

That is what I was looking for.

Follow BigDL’s instructions as few posts up. That should do the trick.