Vitality with Apple Watch / Strava

Steady Spin

Related: Am I able to upload a Strava workout on an Apple watch to an Android phone (via the strava app)?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Strava and not planning on dropping it anytime soon. Otherwise this thread wouldn't exist :P

You don't have to drop strava. You just using the workout app to record and then it gets imported directly to Strava. I hope you got it sorted now as it’s pretty simple to set up. 

You don't have to drop strava. You just using the workout app to record and then it gets imported directly to Strava. I hope you got it sorted now as it’s pretty simple to set up. 

THIS ABOVE :thumbup: 

This is what I was told too by discovery.... You need to record your cycling activity using the Apple Watch workout app, and start the "outdoor cycle" just prior to your ride (exactly like you would have done with the Strava app on your apple watch - start "outdoor ride" prior to riding... 

This is the reply below I received from Discovery / Vitality when enquiring about the issue of my Strava workout not being pulled through to the Vitality app. 

Moral of story: Use the Apple workout app, then upload to Strava (and they'll also be registered for Vitality) 

Hi Mark

Hope you had a lekker weekend.

Please see below from Vitality, I don’t use Strava so this is news to me too. Essentially, you need to delink your apple watch from Strava as workouts (specifically the Heart rate data) from Strava aren’t verified and consequently Vitality can’t allocate you points for these workouts.

Let me know if this isn’t clear.

Thanks,

Tim

Subject: RE: Mark Strava | Vitality - REF:

Good day Timothy

Kindly be advised heart rate workout done through Strava are not eligible for Vitality points as the activity pulls through and unverified. Strava only shares speed data with Vitality if the member has the Strava app linked to Vitality on the app and the maximum points that can be earned for the speed data is 100 points.

The member will need to delink his Apple Watch from Strava for him to earn workout points done with his Apple Watch device.

THIS ABOVE :thumbup:

This is what I was told too by discovery.... You need to record your cycling activity using the Apple Watch workout app, and start the "outdoor cycle" just prior to your ride (exactly like you would have done with the Strava app on your apple watch - start "outdoor ride" prior to riding...

This is the reply below I received from Discovery / Vitality when enquiring about the issue of my Strava workout not being pulled through to the Vitality app.

Moral of story: Use the Apple workout app, then upload to Strava (and they'll also be registered for Vitality)

Hi Mark

Hope you had a lekker weekend.

Please see below from Vitality, I don’t use Strava so this is news to me too. Essentially, you need to delink your apple watch from Strava as workouts (specifically the Heart rate data) from Strava aren’t verified and consequently Vitality can’t allocate you points for these workouts.

Let me know if this isn’t clear.

Thanks,

Tim

Subject: RE: Mark Strava | Vitality - REF:

Good day Timothy

Kindly be advised heart rate workout done through Strava are not eligible for Vitality points as the activity pulls through and unverified. Strava only shares speed data with Vitality if the member has the Strava app linked to Vitality on the app and the maximum points that can be earned for the speed data is 100 points.

The member will need to delink his Apple Watch from Strava for him to earn workout points done with his Apple Watch device.

What is meant by “delink” Apple watch from

Strava?

The last thing I did was to deny permissions between Strava and Health. As a result my heart data didn't feed to strava. I think I was recording with the Strava watch app. 

During that time I used the Health app on the watch to record an indoor session to test. Appears that that pulled through to Vitality even though it says the workout was too basic to qualify for points. 

So....

For this coming weekend I will only use the Health app to track my workout? Then pull that into Strava? 

Do I have to disable the permissions between Strava and Health?

Edited by Steady Spin

For this coming weekend I will only use the Health app to track my workout? Then pull that into Strava? 

>>> Yes. Use the health app to record your cycle, and then afterwards go to the Strava app and "sync" your apple workout. I will be doing the same this weekend  ;)

>>> Yes (I think) delink/disable permissions, and then relink them after 

I will test for you now.

The one I did on Tuesday was 10 mins, so would qualify for points.

76ad841536a9f8b17e11b41043ae2928.jpg

To reiterate:

I don’t have the Strava App on my watch

I use the Apple workout app only

Tested now

Working.

Told Strava to no longer write anything to Health

Told Health to not read anything from Strava

Used the Workout App to record a 5 minute session at my desk.

Discovery website now shows me that there is insufficient activity to earn points. 

Tomorrow will be a 2 hour ride that I can really test it on. 

I thought I'd find the answers to my questions here but doesn't appear so...

I am considering taking up the Apple Watch option from Vitality.

All my current info comes from my Garmin to Discovery/Vitality.

Will this info have to come from the Apple Watch?

Then it seems that Vitality say they will adjust your goals as you go along - does that mean the existing goals and achievements (to qualify for the watch) are changed along the way - ie I understand they want us to increase our goals - if you already doing a full cycling program, that wouldn't be possible?

TIA

Tested now

Working.

Told Strava to no longer write anything to Health

Told Health to not read anything from Strava

Used the Workout App to record a 5 minute session at my desk.

Discovery website now shows me that there is insufficient activity to earn points.

Tomorrow will be a 2 hour ride that I can really test it on.

It should still work if you allow it to write to Strava.

176fa919a04a5bb0e9bc83195d7e6f82.jpg

398eeb595194b42d228cec3653f78579.jpg

115b510125b1814440ac1f447208b47b.jpg

33940d5ab6233b4004efc41823116814.jpg

I thought I'd find the answers to my questions here but doesn't appear so...

I am considering taking up the Apple Watch option from Vitality.

All my current info comes from my Garmin to Discovery/Vitality.

Will this info have to come from the Apple Watch?

Then it seems that Vitality say they will adjust your goals as you go along - does that mean the existing goals and achievements (to qualify for the watch) are changed along the way - ie I understand they want us to increase our goals - if you already doing a full cycling program, that wouldn't be possible?

TIA

My garmin workouts and my Apple Watch workouts go towards vitality points. So if I am cycling outside I use garmin and get the points that way. If I am indoors I use the apple watcj and get the points that way as Zwift doesn’t get you points. Sometimes when I cycle outside I use my Apple Watch (commuting, shopping etc) to record as there’s no point shifting the garmin every five minutes, however these days I generally forget to start the Apple Watch workout outdoors.