Best sunglasses to provide wind protection

Sam van Dyk

Hello all!

I am in the market for a new pair of sunglasses given my current pair leave my eyes gritty, super dry and very uncomfortable after longer rides, especially on windy days.

I must thus assume my current pair are letting in too much wind and debris. Wind, dust and all sorts of eye torpedo's are a given on a mountain bike (or any bike in fairness) but I am certain better eye gear will prevent my eyes from feeling like someone sandpapered them after a ride.

I would love some recommendations of glasses that might provide the following:

• More coverage from the lenses (my current pair of Oakleys have fantastic lenses but they are just to small)
  • Sufficient ventilation to help with fogging (more coverage usually means more fogging  :( )
  • Better wrapping around my face to stop wind getting in the sides
  • Option to swop out lenses
  • Size options or a make that caters to smaller / narrow faces (my biggest problem is getting a good fit, I must just have a tiny head  :lol:

I've seen a lot on the forums that give suggestions for sweat and fogging of glasses, but haven't yet found advice for glasses that might help block/reduce wind irritation, so I'd be so grateful for any suggestions, given a good pair of sunnies usually cost a fair penny....

Thanks

Hello all!

I am in the market for a new pair of sunglasses given my current pair leave my eyes gritty, super dry and very uncomfortable after longer rides, especially on windy days.

I must thus assume my current pair are letting in too much wind and debris. Wind, dust and all sorts of eye torpedo's are a given on a mountain bike (or any bike in fairness) but I am certain better eye gear will prevent my eyes from feeling like someone sandpapered them after a ride.

• More coverage from the lenses (my current pair of Oakleys have fantastic lenses but they are just to small)
  • Sufficient ventilation to help with fogging (more coverage usually means more fogging  :( )
  • Size options or a make that caters to smaller / narrow faces (my biggest problem is getting a good fit, I must just have a tiny head  :lol:

I've seen a lot on the forums that give suggestions for sweat and fogging of glasses, but haven't yet found advice for glasses that might help block/reduce wind irritation, so I'd be so grateful for any suggestions, given a good pair of sunnies usually cost a fair penny....

Thanks

I have been using the Oakleys Flight Jacket and really like them. In terms of fogging, the Flight Jacket has the flip switch by the nose that pushes the glasses a little bit forward and prevent fogging, especially on climbs. The switch is a bit of a gimmick to be honest, but it does work :P

I have used the Jawbreaker in the past, but the top of the glasses hit my helmet. With the Flight Jacket the glasses has no top rim, and does solve the issue I had with the Jawbreakers, whilst still providing the coverage I enjoyed with the Jawbreaker. 

For winter I use the Flight Jacket with a clear lens and in summer the prism lens.

Hello all!

Thanks

What model are your current Oakleys ?

Honorable mention, and I am by no means a pro cyclist, just social, I got a pair of Ocean Eyewear photochromic glasses at sportsmans for about R600 a few months ago and love them. Being photochromic, the lenses tint automatically (win for me as I don't have to adjust or swop lenses all the time) and they work well enough from a wind protection point of view.

I use the Evil Eye from Adidas, they're okish but do have some fog at times (like if you stop at a robot or so). But from a dry eye and or irritation point of view they work 

Happy with my D'arc photochromatic glasses

I actually have a pair of these, use them for night rides and early morning, but I wish I had gotten the ones with a frame above the lenses.

The lenses touch on my forehead and they quickly turn into a streaky mess. The sweat just runs downs the lenses, because there is nothing to channel it away.

Good pair of glasses for their price point though. Thanks for the input.

What model are your current Oakleys ?

Currently have the Flak 2.0 with standard size, Prixm polarized lenses. Absolutely fantastic lenses, great fit, only fog a bit on humid climbs, but clear quickly and never slide down my nose.

Maybe the XL lenses would have proven better given my problem. They just seem to let in too much wind from the bottom and sides.

Oakley Windjackets... (If you can find a pair)

I simply love mine!

Second this, but they are no longer made - that does mean if you find a pair they are cheap. Got mine for R1100. Well I guess cheap for Oakleys.

The Oakley Jawbreaker are also good. POC Aspire are also great, just pricey. 

All of the above are a bit bigger, especially the wind jacket and aspire, so if you have a small head they will not help. 

I actually have a pair of these, use them for night rides and early morning, but I wish I had gotten the ones with a frame above the lenses.

The lenses touch on my forehead and they quickly turn into a streaky mess. The sweat just runs downs the lenses, because there is nothing to channel it away.

Good pair of glasses for their price point though. Thanks for the input.

That's good to know.

Mine actually has the frame above, and works nicely.  VERY good set, especially considering the price point.