Dash Cam Suggestions

PieterJvR

Can't find any topics on dash cams but pretty sure I have read a few in the past  :ph34r:

Any suggestions on a middle of the range type dash cam? Don't really want to spend R3000 or R4000 on a Garmin.  Is there anything in the R1000-R2000 range that is worth while? 

To be honest I haven't really investigated this in detail and my only requirements is decent image (assume 1080p is sufficient) and audio capturing if there is any. I understand the resolution and size of the SD card will determine the length of recording, but as long as it can do around 3 hours every day I will be happy.

Have seen a few on Takealot in this price range and ready the user reviews, however have no idea if they are any good, links below:

https://www.takealot.com/transcend-drivepro-110-32gb-dashcam/PLID70574315/description

https://www.takealot.com/hikvision-dashcam-b1-32gb-surveillance-sd-memory-card/PLID71233806/description

https://www.takealot.com/xiaomi-mi-dash-cam-1s-1080p-dashboard-camera/PLID71830403/description

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Xiaomi and transcend would be good choices.. can personally vouch for Xiaomi, as I have the previous version to the one you have linked and it's been working for almost 4 years now.. transcend is always in the top 10 or top 5 lists of you look around the web for reviews etc..

The hikvision I cannot say.. I think they have only recently entered the dash cam market, though they have been doing CCTV for ages, so I would be surprised if they made a terrible dash cam..

Edit: important point.. don't skimp on the SD card.. overwrites of recordings will happen and this will be more frequent depending on the quality you record at as well as the size of SD card.. look for SD cards specifically geared for video recording or high io operations..

I personally have a SanDisk card geared for video recording, which is almost as old as the dash cam now.. the first one was a big standard Samsung SD card which was kaput after 3 months..

Edited by zaslayer

You can get Hero4 gopros for 1500 on Facebook market place , keep it plugged in always

And get a 128 Supreme card then you can record a whole week and delete if you dont need the footage.

You'll have tp start ot manually tho

Xiaomi and transcend would be good choices.. can personally vouch for Xiaomi, as I have the previous version to the one you have linked and it's been working for almost 4 years now.. transcend is always in the top 10 or top 5 lists of you look around the web for reviews etc..

The hikvision I cannot say.. I think they have only recently entered the dash cam market, though they have been doing CCTV for ages, so I would be surprised if they made a terrible dash cam..

Edit: important point.. don't skimp on the SD card.. overwrites of recordings will happen and this will be more frequent depending on the quality you record at as well as the size of SD card.. look for SD cards specifically geared for video recording or high io operations..

I personally have a SanDisk card geared for video recording, which is almost as old as the dash cam now.. the first one was a big standard Samsung SD card which was kaput after 3 months..

Thanks appreciate the info, especially around the SD card and what to look out for.

The only thing that put me off about the Transcend was that it had a SD card limit of 32GB but not really sure if that will be an issue for my requirements.

Check this out on takealot: SanDisk 128GB 170 MB/s Extreme Pro Micro SDXC

https://www.takealot.com/sandisk-128gb-170-mb-s-extreme-pro-micro-sdxc/PLID53771556

Thanks, gives me an idea of what is a good buy on the SD card

I have a Volkano.

Bought it with Vitality Active Rewards vouchers from Cape Union Mart. Mounts on the windscreen just in front of my rear view mirror and doesn’t obstruct my view in any way.

Somewhere on one of the COVID threads, I posted the traffic (the lack of) on the first full week of level 5 lockdown. Will try find the link.

72a3e02d70fca332bcc2489262e99f9c.jpg86b360089cc3a3f70b3cda76e32fa97f.jpg

I get about 2 days worth of driving to work and back. About 4 hours on a 32MB SD card.

Have used it twice to prove I was at a site at a specific time, unloaded stock required during lockdown, and the customer had no choice but to pay. Security guards stole the toilet paper and sanitiser that was delivered by me (after hours).

edit: kjust checked, it's a 64MB card in my camera.

Edited by Frosty

I get about 2 days worth of driving to work and back. About 4 hours on a 32MB SD card.

Have used it twice to prove I was at a site at a specific time, unloaded stock required during lockdown, and the customer had no choice but to pay. Security guards stole the toilet paper and sanitiser that was delivered by me (after hours).

Thank you for the information, I will be happy if it can record 4 hours and then overwrites, etc - should also be 2 days of travel.

I want to say I am shocked about the bit in bold, but unfortunately it is becoming the norm lately - glad you could "prove" that you delivered the stock.

My biggest reason in wanting to get a dash cam is actually for my wife, who often have to travel after dark on the M1 from her office, and when I hear about Metro pulling over vehicles and intimidating drivers some sort of proof "should" help, or at least deter them when they see it.  Not saying all metro is like that, I have just heard too many horror stories lately.

I recently downloaded Sygic for navigation and I see they have an in app purchase dash cam for sale. ($6.49 special atm)

Havent bought it so wouldn't know if it is any good.. But here is the write up if you want to look at something like that... Maybe cheaper than buying an external dash cam?

post-39623-16201946549133.jpgpost-39623-16201946650649.jpg

Thank you for the information, I will be happy if it can record 4 hours and then overwrites, etc - should also be 2 days of travel.

I want to say I am shocked about the bit in bold, but unfortunately it is becoming the norm lately - glad you could "prove" that you delivered the stock.

My biggest reason in wanting to get a dash cam is actually for my wife, who often have to travel after dark on the M1 from her office, and when I hear about Metro pulling over vehicles and intimidating drivers some sort of proof "should" help, or at least deter them when they see it. Not saying all metro is like that, I have just heard too many horror stories lately.

Touch wood, I haven’t had to use any footage for accidents or your example. But it’s there if needed.

I bought the Aukey 1080 dashcam last year (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LWN99YA?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details) didn't want to spend heaps, but wanted something to cover me in the event of a dispute. It was about 60 euro and I have reviewed footage since and you can 9/10 see numberplates and the quality and sound is sufficient for my liking. Most important thing is a good quality SD Card, so I opted for quality over capacity and settled on a 32Gb. The advantage of a dedicated dashcam vs a GO Pro is that you can press a button to protect a clip (maybe you can do that in a gopro?)

If I bought again...i might buy a slightly more expensive model, but I am more than happy with my purchase

P.S there is a scary amount of reviews on the different dashcams out there on youtube.

Edited by Stretch

I bought the Aukey 1080 dashcam last year (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LWN99YA?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details) didn't want to spend heaps, but wanted something to cover me in the event of a dispute. It was about 60 euro and I have reviewed footage since and you can 9/10 see numberplates and the quality and sound is sufficient for my liking. Most important thing is a good quality SD Card, so I opted for quality over capacity and settled on a 32Gb. The advantage of a dedicated dashcam vs a GO Pro is that you can press a button to protect a clip (maybe you can do that in a gopro?)

If I bought again...i might buy a slightly more expensive model, but I am more than happy with my purchase

P.S there is a scary amount of reviews on the different dashcams out there on youtube.

gopro automatically saves all the footage and doesn't overwrite so you'll have to format it regularly 

on the newer gopro's you can press the menu button while recording to create a highlight that shows up as a bookmark when opening the foootage so you can skip right to the action 

gopro automatically saves all the footage and doesn't overwrite so you'll have to format it regularly 

on the newer gopro's you can press the menu button while recording to create a highlight that shows up as a bookmark when opening the foootage so you can skip right to the action 

ok - so while this sounds like it might not be a big issue, I reckon it will end up being a pain. I just hop in my car and drive. Don't really pay attention to the dashcam unless I come across a clip worth protecting.....like the other day when a bulldozer was driving towards me with 4 dogs sitting in the bucket  :D

edit - the auto switch on and record etc with a dashcam is also a major consideration

Edited by Stretch

.like the other day when a bulldozer was driving towards me with 4 dogs sitting in the bucket :D

You can't just say that and not give more info and pics[emoji1787]