What bike for the Race to the Sun would you choose?

peetwindhoek

Which bike for Race to the Sun?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Options

• Santa Cruz Blur
    • Trek Checkpoint

My mtb’s frame is in such a way that she is not safe to ride. But that is worth another post.

A friend then gave me the option of doing the race on Saturday on one of his bikes:

Santa Cruz Blur AXS built, or

Trek Checkpoint SL7

I get excited when thinking of doing it on the Trek, but doing hopefully less than 6 hours could hurt the body on a bike type I have only dreamed of riding. The Blur would be a more comfortable ride and could that then translate into a stronger finish than on the gravel bike?

What would you ride?

PS: I’m an undercover roadie #RoadiesUnite ????

Edited by peetwindhoek

Depending on what you want out of the race. Going for the win, or to enjoy ?

I would go for the more comfortable bike. It is not a difficult event, but the last 40 km's does have some rocky parts in it. Nothing technical.

For me, after 120 km in the saddle, I would appreciate the "softer" ride for the last 40 km.

There's about a 20km or so section with pretty severe corrugations - you're going to suffer on the Checkpoint if those roads have not been graded. Even on a fairly stiff dual sus it wasn't all that much fun.

Edited by MudLark

BMW F560 GS!

Oops ... I don't see it in your list of options...

I would go with the Santa Cruz.... Comfort over speed

But do they allow ebikes in this event ?

But do they allow ebikes in this event ?

Chris, they did when I rode it in 2019. But the range is a bit too much for them AFAIK. So you need to have someone bring you an exchange battery pack...

My mtb’s frame is in such a way that she is not safe to ride. But that is worth another post.

A friend then gave me the option of doing the race on Saturday on one of his bikes:

Santa Cruz Blur AXS built, or

Trek Checkpoint SL7

I get excited when thinking of doing it on the Trek, but doing hopefully less than 6 hours could hurt the body on a bike type I have only dreamed of riding. The Blur would be a more comfortable ride and could that then translate into a stronger finish than on the gravel bike?

What would you ride?

PS: I’m an undercover roadie #RoadiesUnite

Blur

Do it on the gravel bike.... You'll love the experience, they're just so awesome on these kinds of longer dirt rides....

Just run your tires soft enough - it ain't a road bike!