Basics of a deal

Some need urgent education regarding the basics of an agreement. Realizing that once an item is advertised at a certain price, a legally binding contract comes into place as soon as a buyer accepts the offer. Some sellers are still of the opinion that they have the option to alter the price after accepted by the buyer, and that a deal is only concluded once they accept the buyer offer to buy...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You should contact these people: https://www.saconsumercomplaints.co.za/your-rights/#:~:text=The%20South%20African%20Consumer%20Protection,also%20to%20give%20effect%20to

You have a solid case.

Sarcasm aside - "legally binding contract" means less than spit in the second hand public market.

The seller might be lacking in morals but going all THE LAW passive aggressive 1 hit wonder posts will only wasted 2 mins of your life.

And 2 of mine :-)

Some need urgent education regarding the basics of an agreement. Realizing that once an item is advertised at a certain price, a legally binding contract comes into place as soon as a buyer accepts the offer. Some sellers are still of the opinion that they have the option to alter the price after accepted by the buyer, and that a deal is only concluded once they accept the buyer offer to buy...

Some more context needed in your post. Did you offer to buy someone's item and they tried to alter the price after the fact, did they not want to sell you the item?

Very difficult to enforce any of this in any case. What if I advertise an item and by the time I get to my phone I have 4 offers for the item at my asking price, surely I don't now have legally binding contract with 4 people?

Legally binding lol :D

long time listener, first time caller?

Glad you got that off your chest, but I have read the greatest book i the world, written by the greatest man on the subject in the world. And that's not what he says.

9781847943033.jpg?1615363175

Some more context needed in your post. Did you offer to buy someone's item and they tried to alter the price after the fact, did they not want to sell you the item?

Very difficult to enforce any of this in any case. What if I advertise an item and by the time I get to my phone I have 4 offers for the item at my asking price, surely I don't now have legally binding contract with 4 people?

. I offered to buy at the advertised price upon which the wanted "to think it over", obviously not sticking to offer to sell. The next morning notified of a "correction in the price, due to a mistake". When questioning his behavior, he pleaded poverty and difficult times, shame. The loss of the deal is not the issue, but the lack of ethics. When getting more than one offer to purchase at the asking price, I'd say confirm the deal with the first respondent, and let others know that they were not first

. I offered to buy at the advertised price upon which the wanted "to think it over", obviously not sticking to offer to sell. The next morning notified of a "correction in the price, due to a mistake". When questioning his behavior, he pleaded poverty and difficult times, shame. The loss of the deal is not the issue, but the lack of ethics. When getting more than one offer to purchase at the asking price, I'd say confirm the deal with the first respondent, and let others know that they were not first

Ja sounds like the seller was a bit of a box in this case. Not even worth losing sleep over. Happens alot on the 2nd hand market.

Tell him to guffuckhimself. Shite style imo.

I agree that is terribly poor form but unfortunately a very common occurrence. People advertise something, get a lot of response and then decide/realise that they could have advertised it for much more.

I have to add that as far as I know "Offer to Sell" is not a thing. Offer to Purchase however is. In this environment though neither of those two really exist.

I don't remember the finer details but my little understanding of consumer law is that say a shop mistakenly prices a R1000 item at R10, they are not obliged to sell it to you for the lower price. Some stores have a goodwill policy to do so ie it used to be like that at Pick n Pay but I'm not sure if they still do?

I believe that legally the price label is indicating the amount they would like you to offer and then the deal depends on their acceptance. Cumbersome and not that relevant to today's commercial processes as it comes from aeons ago. That's just what I belive but an old man might be wrong once in a while....

I don't remember the finer details but my little understanding of consumer law is that say a shop mistakenly prices a R1000 item at R10, they are not obliged to sell it to you for the lower price. Some stores have a goodwill policy to do so ie it used to be like that at Pick n Pay but I'm not sure if they still do?

I believe that legally the price label is indicating the amount they would like you to offer and then the deal depends on their acceptance. Cumbersome and not that relevant to today's commercial processes as it comes from aeons ago. That's just what I belive but an old man might be wrong once in a while....

Same as I recall being taught.

Yes, your understanding is correct. But, what goes down in a shop is regulated by the CPA (check out section 23), which does not apply to a private seller.

Anyway, Old Man 1 v Hub 0 [emoji3]

@op, the ad you responded was not an offer open for an acceptance. It was just an invitation to make an offer, so your notion of a “legally binding” contract is something of a misperception I think.

Yes, your understanding is correct. But, what goes down in a shop is regulated by the CPA (check out section 23), which does not apply to a private seller.

Anyway, Old Man 1 v Hub 0 [emoji3]

@op, the ad you responded was not an offer open for an acceptance. It was just an invitation to make an offer, so your notion of a “legally binding” contract is something of a misperception I think.

:-)