Post fire table mountain

DrRichard

Hi all

trying to find information about riding on the front of Table Mountain again - I know the burnt area was closed after the fire. Is there any info of whether we are free to ride - any areas to avoid because of fire damage? I saw pics of blockhouse single track bridge burnt -still safe?

Hi all

trying to find information about riding on the front of Table Mountain again - I know the burnt area was closed after the fire. Is there any info of whether we are free to ride - any areas to avoid because of fire damage? I saw pics of blockhouse single track bridge burnt -still safe?

Please be advised that Newlands Forest, Rhodes Memorial Area, Deer Park, Devil's Peak, and City Bowl in the Northern Section of Table Mountain National Park remain closed in the interest of the safety of the public and also due to the sensitivity of the areas post-fire. There are too many hazards including potential tree falls. We will post once these parts reopen.

Lots of people riding and walking in Newlands Forest - no signs that I saw indicating it was closed.

As far as I know, Newlands Forest is open. But closed to the left (fire side) at access points e.g. At a point on the contour path.

Open to access the mtb route to Kirstenbosch.

I assume that would be the area to the north of the fire base. The area to the south where cyclists are allowed should be open? So the area south from the singletrack climb off the M3.

I assume that would be the area to the north of the fire base. The area to the south where cyclists are allowed should be open? So the area south from the singletrack climb off the M3.

I would assume its all the burnt areas.

So the guys very hectically busy today building sandbag walls for the inevitable flood once the rain hits.

I have seen quite a few rides in Newlands Forest on Strava. Doesn’t mean it’s open though.

Hi, Newlands forest is definitely open, got direct confirmation from SANparks:

“The Newlands forest section of the mountain bike track is open for visitors.

The area closed is clearly marked and still remains closed from the fringes of Newlands forest towards GSE and Tafelberg Rd, Deer Park area.

Please visit our facebook page for updates.”

I rode to the blockhouse last week Tuesday (but could not access it from Tafelberg Road, so had to access it from Disa Park / Quarry. The parks board had a tape across Tafelberg Road about 2-3km after the cable car station). 

Same thing again this last Tuesday (2 days ago). They also had closed the access from Deer Park, and had 2 people there, as well as 2 people on Tafelberg Road.  

So basically, you can access the trails going to the blockhouse and below table mountain, but only if you ride from a minor access point (Disa Park, quarry, trail starting at first corner on Tafelberg Road). 

The MTB trails, both single track and jeep tracks are absolutely fine, although much of the fauna around them is burnt... The consistency of the trails/topsoil is also perfect. I think the obvious concern is people (hikers) going off-trail where the soil is loose. 

I rode to the blockhouse last week Tuesday (but could not access it from Tafelberg Road, so had to access it from Disa Park / Quarry. The parks board had a tape across Tafelberg Road about 2-3km after the cable car station). 

Same thing again this last Tuesday (2 days ago). They also had closed the access from Deer Park, and had 2 people there, as well as 2 people on Tafelberg Road.  

So basically, you can access the trails going to the blockhouse and below table mountain, but only if you ride from a minor access point (Disa Park, quarry, trail starting at first corner on Tafelberg Road). 

The MTB trails, both single track and jeep tracks are absolutely fine, although much of the fauna around them is burnt... The consistency of the trails/topsoil is also perfect. I think the obvious concern is people (hikers) going off-trail where the soil is loose. 

not sure it's a good idea to be riding up there if it is obvious that they are trying to close the main access point off. Just because you know a back way in (we all do) doesn't mean you should.

From a goodwill point of view, the last thing we as mtbikers need is to give Sanparks a reason to close the trail permanently. We are already not their favourite species.

not sure it's a good idea to be riding up there if it is obvious that they are trying to close the main access point off. Just because you know a back way in (we all do) doesn't mean you should.

From a goodwill point of view, the last thing we as mtbikers need is to give Sanparks a reason to close the trail permanently. We are already not their favourite species.

The main road is closed (Tafelberg Road), but all the other arterial routes/roads or access points are open, and there are no signs/notifications to the contrary... But I hear what you say, and have avoided the areas that are closed off.

I think prudence and common sense should be used, but there is no imminent danger riding on the jeep tracks (or jogging, or walking your dog...)

:thumbup:

Edited by Mark James

The main road is closed (Tafelberg Road), but all the other arterial routes/roads or access points are open, and there are no signs/notifications to the contrary... But I hear what you say, and have avoided the areas that are closed off.

I think prudence and common sense should be used, but there is no imminent danger riding on the jeep tracks (or jogging, or walking your dog...)

:thumbup:

You seem almost proud of yourself. ????‍♂️