Magalies Monster

hydrobum

How difficult is the Magalies Monster?  Keen on the 65km with my mate.

We normally ride around Bealieu/Riversands/Northern Farms so haven't done anything really technical so wondering if 65km will be too much to bite off.  Climbing 6km will be ok but slow as we not planning to win :eek:

Thanks!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's very rocky and one of the more technical races

Ive done it 3x.....And this is how it is....Its soddingly rocky no matter what! :thumbup: 

I would also suggest the 35km if you are not used to being punished over 60km on rocky, sandy and grassy paths....

It ain’t as monstery as it used to be. The small climb that used to go through Mountain Sanctuary Park was removed a few years ago, that was in my opinion the killer climb. The monster climb is long, but rideable. Also it used to be like 80km long, shorter now.

It ain’t as monstery as it used to be. The small climb that used to go through Mountain Sanctuary Park was removed a few years ago, that was in my opinion the killer climb. The monster climb is long, but rideable. Also it used to be like 80km long, shorter now.

Seems to have changed quite a bit then? I did my last one in 2014 I think...Shocked thats already 7 years ago!

.i also remember it being longer (cause i suffered through that shite )

OP I'd also advise to do the 35km and then decide for next year cause the 65 will be very very similar woth slightly more than double the climbing

Breedts neck is in a terrible state at the moment and I doubt that they have any intention of fixing it up prior to the race. For me, tbh, there's no enjoyment in this climb, just torture and possible damage to bike and self.

BTW, if you rode that climb after walking across the river in MSP, then I applaud you because I always considered that unrideable - I'm sure I remember it always being a compulsory portage section.

Breedts neck is in a terrible state at the moment and I doubt that they have any intention of fixing it up prior to the race. For me, tbh, there's no enjoyment in this climb, just torture and possible damage to bike and self.

BTW, if you rode that climb after walking across the river in MSP, then I applaud you because I always considered that unrideable - I'm sure I remember it always being a compulsory portage section.

Lol..Ill aways remember taking my 4x4 all the way to the Sani pass.It was time to put it to the test.....Then discovering that the Breedts Nek pass, just round the corner from me, was actually in worse condition :thumbup:  

It's hard! 

It's a whole day out and there is a great feeling of accomplishment afterwards. 

It doesn't really go up Breedts neck the whole way so I wouldn't worry about the condition, unless you are using it to get to ATKV.

I live nearby, and often stay at MSP. I have gone there before with the sole intention of riding that climb. I have never managed it. The climb I am referring to was before the river crossing though, just after going through Utopia.

Yeah Breedt’s is bad at the moment. I have been riding up there plenty of late, worst I have ever seen it. The monster doesn’t however go up the actual Breedt’s road, joins it towards the end, mostly a nice singletrack climb joining the road right at the end.

When is this taking place? And where can one enter?

Asking for a few friends.

4:59:59

My time on the long one. Went out hard, and was in survival mode with about 20km to go.

I see the date is a day after the wife’s birthday. Going to have to play this one very carefully.