Magalies Monster

hydrobum

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are no free kilometers on this ride. (I say ride, because mortals don't race the monster)

If you have suspension take all of it.

I did that mini monster climb out of Mountain sanctuary the first time I did this event. Like Knersboy sayz, that was the real tester. 

Oh, and surprise sand in between grass in the run-up to the monster climb. 

Friends don’t enter friends into MM

I have 4 lined up already, one for the kiddies route on his gravel bike.

I don't miss too much about South Africa - but this event is something I definitely do miss. Well organised and always a challenge, even if it's no longer the brutal 80km route.

It's no longer hosted by the W2W crowd, so hopefully the standard has remained the same.

This has been on my list of events fot a couple of years. Hopefully this year Ill get to do it.

4:59:59

My time on the long one. Went out hard, and was in survival mode with about 20km to go.

I see the date is a day after the wife’s birthday. Going to have to play this one very carefully.

Riding the original MM  under 5 hours had some respectful bragging rights .It has been toned down by about an hour at least .IMO MM and Van Gaalen,s are in the same league now .MM used to a really hard day out  

Last did it in 2015 and also still have the war wounds to show for it. (pic attached - not for the faint hearted)

post-8350-0-76247700-1620361079_thumb.jpg

Even the original 45km mini monster was tough...although shorter it is still a brutal race... You need to be prepared for a long day on the bike

• 3 weeks later...

I somewhat impulsively entered the 65km marathon.... I'm a bit nervous, but I did the 80km "real" monster in 2014 and survived.... but it took me 6 and a half hours. 

Anyone have a gpx file for the 65km route?

Really helps to pace the race if you know whats coming and what climbs are left. 

Don't think the route is out yet. Will probably be released (might only be the profile) next week

We used to come down from Botswana for the weekend to do the event.Great stuff.At least 20 of us.

One of my highlights was to stop in the orange grove on the way back and sit and eat an orange fresh and sweet and bursting with juice.Man worth the 5 minutes.

9 hours ago, Mountain Bru said:

I somewhat impulsively entered the 65km marathon.... I'm a bit nervous, but I did the 80km "real" monster in 2014 and survived.... but it took me 6 and a half hours. 

Anyone have a gpx file for the 65km route?

Really helps to pace the race if you know whats coming and what climbs are left. 

Based on distance and ascent numbers they put in the add, I am pretty sure it will be very similar to 2019 edition. GPX attached

Magalies_monster.gpx

2 hours ago, Ossie NL said:

Based on distance and ascent numbers they put in the add, I am pretty sure it will be very similar to 2019 edition. GPX attached

Magalies_monster.gpx 1.54 MB · 7 downloads

Thanks!!

From the website:
"The descent down the Monster is a bit of the old route until going down a brand new section into Kloofwaters Camp. This descent is technical with a lot of loose over hard surfaces and negative cambers to negotiate."

Looks like there might be some slight differences, but I don't think too much