Magalies Monster

hydrobum

Would also be interested in the 2021 gpx file.

Looks like a tough day in the saddle for those of us that are recreational riders :)

On a side note- would you choose additional travel over lightness (trail vs xc).....the "monster" is now playing games with my head...  

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Must be nice to have problem like "should I take my trail or XC bike"......????

I would guess that it depends on what the bikes are, but bear in mind that the "monster climb" is 400 or 500m of elevation gain, but there's still 1000m of climbing apart from that climb, so lightness is a good idea in my opinion. My vote would be for a dual sus XC bike if you have that as an option. 

On 5/26/2021 at 11:42 AM, Mountain Bru said:

Thanks!!

From the website:
"The descent down the Monster is a bit of the old route until going down a brand new section into Kloofwaters Camp. This descent is technical with a lot of loose over hard surfaces and negative cambers to negotiate."

Looks like there might be some slight differences, but I don't think too much

That section is well known .Marbles on of camber, but at least it is downhill .Then it is a flat section until you hit the sand on the gravel road .Cramp time !!!

On 5/26/2021 at 3:27 PM, Pieter1 said:

Last time I did it was 2014. What an experience. Would like to do it again one day. 
Enjoy it. 

D009C88D-A3EC-45EF-8959-49CDC11488E9.jpeg

I remember you very well .The on -one inbred  single speed with the blue fork .We talked at the start .Where are you at know ?

On 5/26/2021 at 1:48 PM, Mountain Bru said:

Must be nice to have problem like "should I take my trail or XC bike"......????

I would guess that it depends on what the bikes are, but bear in mind that the "monster climb" is 400 or 500m of elevation gain, but there's still 1000m of climbing apart from that climb, so lightness is a good idea in my opinion. My vote would be for a dual sus XC bike if you have that as an option. 

Suspension ,wide tires and shoes you can walk in is always a good idea at MM

On 5/28/2021 at 5:16 PM, eala said:

I remember you very well .The on -one inbred  single speed with the blue fork .We talked at the start .Where are you at know ?

Howzit eala. My wife, son and I are in Brunei for the foreseeable future. How and where are you?  

1 hour ago, Pieter1 said:

Howzit eala. My wife, son and I are in Brunei for the foreseeable future. How and where are you?  

Hi Pieter .Still here in Tshwane Gauteng .Guess we have to be thankful that we still have mtb events .Tell us about Brunei 

Does anyone know if it's still on?

This is according to their policy:

• Riders will be refunded 80% of their paid for entry, should the event be cancelled or postponed by Monday 31 May 2021. Alternatively, riders will be able to roll their event entry to the Fedhealth Magalies Monster MTB Classic event in 2022.
  • Should the event be cancelled within five (5) days of the event (i.e. from Tuesday, 01 June 2021 to Friday, 04 June 2021), or on the day of the event, riders will not be refunded any of their paid entry fees (0%).

If they wait for tomorrow to make an announcement and it's postponed I will be disgruntled ????

Just got an email..... 

Postponed ????
From the email:

We are optimistic that restrictions will be eased over the next couple of months and we will confirm the new date for 2021 by Monday 07 June.

In light of the Fedhealth Magalies Monster being moved to a later date in 2021, you as an entrant have three options to choose from:

Entries:

1. Rollover your entry to the new 2021 date
  2. Request a FULL refund 
  3. Rollover your entry to the 2022 event

Once the new date is announced on 07 June you will have until 21 June 2021 to make your choice regarding the above. 

Edited by Mountain Bru

11 minutes ago, Dieter ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) said:

Very nice of them to offer a full refund! Also incredible from ATKV! 

Half of me is happy it will be when it's warmer and I am fitter! 

It is a cold start...

On 5/6/2021 at 8:14 PM, sirmoun10goat said:

I don't miss too much about South Africa

Why Simon what happened ????

4 minutes ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Why Simon what happened ????

I never had a bad experience in SA, so I guess I’m lucky.

But life is stressful in SA-not just crime, the economy, financial institutions, healthcare, education. You can get quality in all of these through the private sector, but that comes at a price.

My only care now is not losing my job, and even if that happens, I will find something decent relatively easily.

Peace of mind is wonderful!