OLX Scam in Kempton Park

Good Afternoon fellow cyclists and traders.Yet again a wonderful start to the week I had being scammed by a gentleman going by the name PT Moyana.Provided me with proof of payment from ABSA and money reflected. LATER the night logged in and to my surprise it no longer reflected,how only he would know.Managed to track a registration but apparently belongings a gentleman that only collected the bike for him.

I can share the details with anyone if needed as you never know we might find this is a syndicate with bikes stored there.Please be vigilant.Busy with the Police but not sure what will come out of my effort.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Shawn, Sorry for your Loss.

was the Payment made via Cheque (that bounced) or EFT?

was the money reflecting in your account as Cleared or uncleared?

Thanks for the heads up.

Done via EFT and can see it at all as I even retrieved a statement as I was so surprised.

Yes it is a loss but i believe in karma

Done via EFT and can see it at all as I even retrieved a statement as I was so surprised.

Does you Bank statement show the Deposit and a Reversal or was the deposit missing the following day?

Hey Shaun - sorry for your loss.

The only way for money to reflect in your account and then not is if the scammer has a contact at a bank and deposits a fraud / stolen cheque that will then bounce a day or so later. 

For all for future reference, please advise exactly how this chap 'paid' you ? You have to get a proof of payment AND confirmation of funds cleared in your account. 

The deposit of a stolen cheque goes back well over 10 - 15 years already. They deposit the cheque at the bank through their contact and then send a fake EFT proof of payment. They very clever.

If a buyer doesn't make an instant EFT in front of me, with proof of payment sent to me directly from the bank, then I wait 5 working days before releasing the goods. 

I'm also not interested in anyone who buys sigh unseen and sends someone else to collect the goods - first warning flag of a scam.

Edited by JBK

In respect to JBK it was done as an immediate ABSA eft was provided with the proof of payment.The following morning I contacted ABSA fraud division and got told the Transation Number I gave them is a fraudulent number as nothing reflects and an immediate payment to my bank should have reflected within an hour.

In respect to JBK it was done as an immediate ABSA eft was provided with the proof of payment.The following morning I contacted ABSA fraud division and got told the Transation Number I gave them is a fraudulent number as nothing reflects and an immediate payment to my bank should have reflected within an hour.

But that means the money never really reflected as available in your account

You only release goods once its available

Sorry for your loss

Hi Shawn,

Where did he get your contact info, where was the bike advertised for sale etc. Was his MO the same as many others that it's a gift for a cousin or nephew and it's a surprise? You say the driver only collected, Where/How did the scammer contact the driver, Who does the driver work for, from whom did the driver get your address, who paid the driver for the collection and how was he paid and where did he deliver the bike to once he picked it up and left your place?

I reckon these are all the questions the cops need to be asking the driver and doing an investigation on. Dump the drivers phone, check all records, signal towers etc.

Anyway, Real sorry to hear about your misfortune, Some expensive school fees paid.

Edited by FootballingCyclist

Skoolgeld.

If only you came to this site before doing the deal for research, as this site has lots of info on what scams are doing the rounds and what to look out for.

Gents all I can say I was well played but managed to retrieve footage from a neighbour's camera and managed to find the registration and do have the details as mentioned and provided this to the Police.So maybe, maybe not?

The only problem bigger than the scamsters are the cops in terms of reliability, Let's hope you get a good detective, otherwise that case file is just going to gather dust unfortunately.