OLX Scam in Kempton Park

Hi Adam to answer you nope did not show in any way or format on my statements.That is why I am so surprised

Hi Shawn, 

Apologies for all the questions...

Your opening post says "Provided me with proof of payment from ABSA and money reflected."

• are you taking the POP as money reflecting
  • or did you go onto you online Banking and see the money reflect?
  • And then when you printed a Bank statement it was not there?

Was the "Immediate Payment" from ABSA to ABSA or from ABSA to another Bank?

As mentioned before was the Bike advertise here or on Gumtree/OLX/facebook market place?

** Reason I am asking so many questions is I bank with ABSA and am wondering how safe they are now

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

100% correct.

Thanks for the word and input,will keep you posted on further developments.Safe cycling

Please post pics of the stolen goods on bike hub and also on Facebook groups - makes it easier for us to look out for when its up for resale...

@Shawn, sorry to hear of the loss! 

Was this someone who contacted you via Bike Hub? If so please let us know so that we can take action to ban the account & share any relevant information we have with SAPS.

Hi Shawn, 

Apologies for all the questions...

Your opening post says "Provided me with proof of payment from ABSA and money reflected."

• are you taking the POP as money reflecting
  • or did you go onto you online Banking and see the money reflect?
  • And then when you printed a Bank statement it was not there?

Was the "Immediate Payment" from ABSA to ABSA or from ABSA to another Bank?

As mentioned before was the Bike advertise here or on Gumtree/OLX/facebook market place?

** Reason I am asking so many questions is I bank with ABSA and am wondering how safe they are now

These are the exact same questions I'm asking as I'm an ABSA client as well. In my experience, ABSA is pretty secure and they go through great lengths to inform users on scams, phishing and fraud on the banking side. This is not adding up and I suspect that Shawn made the expensive (albeit valuable) mistake of letting the goods go before cash was in hand (in whichever format). 

When I receive a payment for selling something I always wait until I can move the money around to my other accounts before letting the goods go. Skoolgeld, and it sucks - hope you recover the stolen goods Shawn!    

Edited by Karooryder

This was someone that saw my add on OLX and fortunately not through Bikehub.I just wish to catch this @@@@@@.As for the you guys that banks with ABSA I think you are safe as when I phoned ABSA they immediately notified upon providing the with the transaction number it was a fraudulent document.The gent Chris from ABSA's Fraud Department was of great help.As yous mentioned simple rule until money is cleared and reflects 100% then only will the goods be available for collection.Just so pissed.Yet again I am just as surprised at this guy's boldness and arrogance.But the wheel turns slowly but it turns.

These ...

When I receive a payment for selling something I always wait until I can move the money around to my other accounts before letting the goods go. Skoolgeld, and it sucks - hope you recover the stolen goods Shawn!    

This was someone that saw my add on OLX and fortunately not through Bikehub.I just wish to catch this @@@@@@.As for the you guys that banks with ABSA I think you are safe as when I phoned ABSA they immediately notified upon providing the with the transaction number it was a fraudulent document.The gent Chris from ABSA's Fraud Department was of great help.As yous mentioned simple rule until money is cleared and reflects 100% then only will the goods be available for collection.Just so pissed.Yet again I am just as surprised at this guy's boldness and arrogance.But the wheel turns slowly but it turns.

When selling,  I have always waited for the money to be 'Visible'  in my ABSA account (see the Transaction and Balance in my Banking App). My understanding is that when it's 'Visible'  it means it cleared BUT I might be wrong. I have never tried to transfer it to another account like KarooRyder suggests, but maybe will do this in future

I heard of a story of a where someone (Business account) sold Stock to a NEW Customer for R28,000

• Received Money (Transfer 1*) (Reflected in the Account) 
  • Dispatched Goods
  • Received Money again (Transfer 2*) (Reflected in the Account) Money was supposedly "accidentally paid by the wife" 
  • Seller reversed Transfer 2 (Transfer 3**) 

Next day Transfer 1 and 2 were were missing from the account 

The seller lost the Stock and the Money ... double whammy !!!

* I am not sure if Transfers 1 and 2 were bounced cheques or EFT's

** I am not sure if Transfer 3 was a Bank Reversal or separate EFT

I bought a fireplace from him (private sale) through Gumtree... needless to say he would only take CASH... and I fully obliged. 

As a banker this makes no sense to me or perhaps we are not getting the full picture. An EFT cannot be reversed without the permission of the account holder. The banks are only acting as 3rd party agents for the transfer and receipt of funds between 2 parties and are not privy to the circumstances / background to said transactions. 

If in fact an EFT was received and it appeared as such on the bank statement then the transaction stands good. There is no way that the remitter is in a position to reverse these funds and as such the bank will not be compromised in entertaining such a request despite the circumstances

As a banker this makes no sense to me or perhaps we are not getting the full picture. An EFT cannot be reversed without the permission of the account holder. The banks are only acting as 3rd party agents for the transfer and receipt of funds between 2 parties and are not privy to the circumstances / background to said transactions. 

If in fact an EFT was received and it appeared as such on the bank statement then the transaction stands good. There is no way that the remitter is in a position to reverse these funds and as such the bank will not be compromised in entertaining such a request despite the circumstances

Unless the "email" received was just a photoshop pic?

Unless the "email" received was just a photoshop pic?

Probably. Which is why a POP email is not worth the paper its written on and which is why the payment should be confirmed and verified by accessing ones' account and making sure that:

- the payment was made into the said account.

- the money is available and not provisional / pending (even if it shows).

As noted above, I'm a bit paranoid with these kinds of things and I will not let anything leave my hands before I can move money from the credited account to other accounts on my banking profile. Works everytime.   

why do you guys believe " the driver " picked up the bike , i can very easily tell someone im sending a friend to pick something up and then just go myself , if the buyer doesn't know me then they wouldn't have the first clue 

that "driver" likely was the scammer , less profits for him to share afterwards 

Probably. Which is why a POP email is not worth the paper its written on and which is why the payment should be confirmed and verified by accessing ones' account and making sure that:

- the payment was made into the said account.

- the money is available and not provisional / pending (even if it shows).

As noted above, I'm a bit paranoid with these kinds of things and I will not let anything leave my hands before I can move money from the credited account to other accounts on my banking profile. Works everytime.   

Thanks for this K@k post Shawn.

I bought a hub from Eddie Gordo needing it to be posted quickly to me and now he's making me wait till the funds have "cleared."

Matt @Admin needs to allow my post count to be accurate. It hasn't climbed in 3 years since I got a warning point, but I've been around this place for years.

Like Warren always advocated: if you don't have gazillions of posts, you're not credible on the hub.

Thanks for this K@k post Shawn.

I bought a hub from Eddie Gordo needing it to be posted quickly to me and now he's making me wait till the funds have "cleared."

Matt @Admin needs to allow my post count to be accurate. It hasn't climbed in 3 years since I got a warning point, but I've been around this place for years.

Like Warren always advocated: if you don't have gazillions of posts, you're not credible on the hub.

cause the vast majority of you post is unhelpful k@K that admin probably deletes shortly after