OLX Scam in Kempton Park

cause the vast majority of you post is unhelpful k@K that admin probably deletes shortly after 

Ok Francois.

I'll desist and disengage.

I've never had time for Matt and his cry-baby ways

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for your loss Shawn.

These buggers are very convincing. It is very easy to say you shouldn’t have done x,y,z but these guys are pros at sucking you in and having you trust them as being legit.

I hope you get your bike back.

The only way for money to reflect in your account and then not is if the scammer has a contact at a bank and deposits a fraud / stolen cheque that will then bounce a day or so later. 

The deposit of a stolen cheque goes back well over 10 - 15 years already. They deposit the cheque at the bank through their contact and then send a fake EFT proof of payment. They very clever.

As of January 2021, cheques are no longer an acceptable form of payment in South Africa and are also not accepted by any banks. At least that scam route is closed now.

Hi Shawn, 

Apologies for all the questions...

Your opening post says "Provided me with proof of payment from ABSA and money reflected."

• are you taking the POP as money reflecting
  • or did you go onto you online Banking and see the money reflect?
  • And then when you printed a Bank statement it was not there?

Good Afternoon fellow cyclists and traders.Yet again a wonderful start to the week I had being scammed by a gentleman going by the name PT Moyana.Provided me with proof of payment from ABSA and money reflected. LATER the night logged in and to my surprise it no longer reflected,how only he would know.Managed to track a registration but apparently belongings a gentleman that only collected the bike for him.

I can share the details with anyone if needed as you never know we might find this is a syndicate with bikes stored there.Please be vigilant.Busy with the Police but not sure what will come out of my effort.

this really sucks - just out of interest, I can't see this being answered -sorry if i missed it.

what form was PoP. sms, email, screengrab and how did he show it to you?

How was many reflected?on your internet banking?

Thanks for this K@k post Shawn.

I bought a hub from Eddie Gordo needing it to be posted quickly to me and now he's making me wait till the funds have "cleared."

Matt @Admin needs to allow my post count to be accurate. It hasn't climbed in 3 years since I got a warning point, but I've been around this place for years.

Like Warren always advocated: if you don't have gazillions of posts, you're not credible on the hub.

bit of a thead hijack here - but in both the original post and your case, using bikehub pay could have solved both these problems.

I might be wrong, but i heard that if you do an eft, phone the bank, tell them you mistakenly paid into a wrong account, the bank refunds you in 24 hours, maybe this is what he did?

If i saw funds reflect, i will transfer the amount into one of my other accounts, but then again, not sure if the bank will then request it back if they refund client, it is truly a stuff up, strongs..

I might be wrong, but i heard that if you do an eft, phone the bank, tell them you mistakenly paid into a wrong account, the bank refunds you in 24 hours, maybe this is what he did?

If i saw funds reflect, i will transfer the amount into one of my other accounts, but then again, not sure if the bank will then request it back if they refund client, it is truly a stuff up, strongs..

Nope - once you've clicked OK the EFT cannot be reversed without permission from the receiver of the funds.

Not possible

bit of a thead hijack here - but in both the original post and your case, using bikehub pay could have solved both these problems.

The OP stated the he was contacted after an OLX ad so bikehub pay not applicable here.

Thanks for this K@k post Shawn.

I bought a hub from Eddie Gordo needing it to be posted quickly to me and now he's making me wait till the funds have "cleared."

Matt @Admin needs to allow my post count to be accurate. It hasn't climbed in 3 years since I got a warning point, but I've been around this place for years.

Like Warren always advocated: if you don't have gazillions of posts, you're not credible on the hub.

I'm not Shawn. My BikeHub name is Karooryder which is obviously not my real name.

If - in this day and age - you feel inconvenienced by a seller (whoever he or she may be) wanting to make sure that he is not defrauded (by whoever) in an online transaction, you should not be transacting online, let alone bitch and moan about it on a thread that provides valuable insight on this topic.

I'm not Shawn. My BikeHub name is Karooryder which is obviously not my real name.

If - in this day and age - you feel inconvenienced by a seller (whoever he or she may be) wanting to make sure that he is not defrauded (by whoever) in an online transaction, you should not be transacting online, let alone bitch and moan about it on a thread that provides valuable insight on this topic.

Im sure his comment was tongue in cheek boss

On 5/10/2021 at 2:42 PM, Butterbean said:

It was.

But most of the people here in hubland don't seem to understand sarcasm. Maybe they're all too clever for me?

I guess I should not try be the funny guy. 

It is misunderstood.

Edited by King_Crispy

See Eddy Gordo's reply above. There is a difference between tongue in the cheek and spoon in the hand. Or perhaps my sense of humor is failing me. Or perhaps not. 

On 5/10/2021 at 6:37 PM, Eddy Gordo said:

@king_crispy my apologies you had to wait. You first enquired about the hub on the 26 April. Then asked me to ship it on the 6 may. If you were in a rush you should of done the deal then. Why didn't you ad this to your rant in the post above?

Having being on the hub for the past 10 or so years, I imagined you to be an old-school sort of Italian dude, given your pseudonym, not a Riyadh from Cape Town who's cell phone numbers don't work. The 2 different pics you have sent me of your cell number

don't work, and I cannot get hold of you outside of you sending me a message on the hub.