East Rand - Kempton Park and Surrounds

Jaco

Hi all,

I am looking for road bike routes in and around Kempton Park... Anything between 50 and 100km.

I often refer to Strava's route planner.

Does anyone perhaps have some saved routes in this area?

(Kempton >> Centurion >> Midrand >> Kempton)

(Kempton >> Boksburg >> Benoni >> Kempton)

(Kempton >> Edenvale >> Bedfordview >> Kempton)

etc.

Are there any specific area's / roads to avoid completely?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Jaco, not sure where about you are but we ride with Bicycle line in Boksburg(Atlasville) we have a few routes to Irene, Leondale and Lido hotel. Send me a PM.

Strava has now added local legends for SA. Take a look at the heat maps and turn on segments.

Plenty routes in the area. 

I ride most of them solo without to much of an issue.

Now that I have a few more minutes.

My normal Sunday routes from Boksburg. Atlas - Pomona - High rd, Pretoria rd. For a 55km ride I turn around at the Olifantsfontein intersection. For longer I'll go left then right and head past The Big Red Barn into Irene.

The other option, but this I will only do with more people around is to turn off pretoria rd and head towards Bapsfontein to Delmas rd. Delmas rd and back will be 80km. Left onto delmas rd and left again on Nelmapius and then back past Big Red Barn will give me 110km.

For hills I head into Bedfordview using Yaldwin, Jet Park, then I hit up Founders, Linkfield Drive, Kallanbach or Silvia Pass and back again. Can string together a good 60km route.

For a short route I'll do Jones rd, Pretoria rd, Pomona, Atlas. This will give me 27km, I do this in the mornings before work. Every now and then doing it in the opposite direction.

Plenty, plenty routes, but certain sections will overlap of course

I ride from Benoni - then Kempton - up to Esselenpark and back with a loop at the new warehouses is around a 60-70km loop

If you add a loop to Petit or to Dunblane you have 80km, then add and out and back to Baps then you are at 100km.

A lekker "TT" route is from Kempton towards Petit.  At the robot turning towards Dunblane my 40km TT starts, then onto Petit, then Baps, then on the R25 west, turn south again at the Dunblane turn you go back to the robot.  39.xx km.  So back to Kempton will give to about a 65km loop - exposed loop with the wind.

Edited by Underachiever

Thanks all for the replies!

Is there anything as a solo rider I should completely avoid?

@ouzo - I am thinking of doing a very similar route, also going out with Pretoria rd, left + right past the big red in to irene and then cross R21 with nelmapius and coming back with pretoria rd. No issues with pretoria road between railway line and R21?

@ouzo - I am thinking of doing a very similar route, also going out with Pretoria rd, left + right past the big red in to irene and then cross R21 with nelmapius and coming back with pretoria rd. No issues with pretoria road between railway line and R21?

are you talking about the stretch that goes behind the engen and past Motorvia ?

Its narrow, and now has some roadworks, but I try and hit it very early in the morning when there is less traffic. coming back seems to be slightly less of an issue, the cars seem to travel at slower speeds. But over all the years I've been doing it I have not had any close calls

are you talking about the stretch that goes behind the engen and past Motorvia ?

Its narrow, and now has some roadworks, but I try and hit it very early in the morning when there is less traffic. coming back seems to be slightly less of an issue, the cars seem to travel at slower speeds. But over all the years I've been doing it I have not had any close calls

yeah exactly that stretch... cool, I'm hitting it early tomorrow morning

thanks all again for the advice!

I always rides solo (but am waiting for a PM, so I can show you the routes :D)

I never go past Esselenpark (northwards on the M57) - its my perception too dodgy towards Tembisa.

Eastwards towards Petit on a Friday afternoon carries hectic traffic

The R25 Baps to Kempton and reverse carries lots of traffic (part of my TT route) so I choose the timing when there are less.  Can be much better on a MTB and you cycle next to the tar.

Another route I forgot about is to go NE from Baps towards Pta.  There was a sinkhole close to Baps, but you can get past it and then it's a lekker road.

High Road (R23) out of Benoni is bad in a Friday.  Lot's of truck activity with stoooopid drivers

Pomona Rd also very busy on a Friday.

I never go past Esselenpark (northwards on the M57) - its my perception too dodgy towards Tembisa.

I normally only do this on a sunday morning. Does not feel dodge at all.

The R25 Baps to Kempton and reverse carries lots of traffic (part of my TT route) so I choose the timing when there are less.  Can be much better on a MTB and you cycle next to the tar.

I like this road, but car (and trucks) come past at high speed, had to many close calls with those big blue side tipper trucks.

Another route I forgot about is to go NE from Baps towards Pta.  There was a sinkhole close to Baps, but you can get past it and then it's a lekker road.

This is a nice road, ride it to just past Rietvlei Nature reserve, then turn left and head down Nelmapius over the R21, stop at WSK by Plantland, have a coffee and then head down to the road that takes you past Big Red Barn

Avoid Bapsfontein road between Bapsfontein and Esselen Park. Busy, and cars overtake head -on. And gets really busy with trucks.

Pretoria Road past Bapsfontein. Left towards Moreleta Park. Then a few choices to turn left and loop back towards Benoni. Via Grootfontein/Rietvlei/Irene. Further towards Woodlands and left through Moraleta Park.

Were about do you stay and what time do you get on the road . I do some rides with Bicycle Line and some solo on Saturdays and Sundays going out East towards Jatniel or Bapsfontein and back towards Witfield gives me 75 km .