[Event] Val de Vie MTB Expedition 2021

aquaratza

2 minutes ago, babse said:

so rain postponed or covid? 

????

Heavy rain, 80mm they said.

2 minutes ago, MTBeer said:

the number of spam emails I've received from them????.

no unsubscribe option in their emails. swak

yup and they love calling the Time Trial a Time Trail haha.

6 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Probably would have done the same if it was me, but I think people would like to have the option to decide for themselves? Especially non-Capetonians who would have made travel & accommodation arrangements to attend the event?

There are a lot of people who would have ridden no matter what, possibly in dangerous conditions and they would have peer-pressured their friends into joining.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Skubarra said:

Probably would have done the same if it was me, but I think people would like to have the option to decide for themselves? Especially non-Capetonians who would have made travel & accommodation arrangements to attend the event?

then you still come.

and you go work out who has the best cab sauv in the franschhoek valley.

People on their Facebook page asking for postponement so I wonder if they relented. That's swak. It's mountain biking! Last years xco at Paul Cluver went ahead despite the conditions. Thanks WPMTB. OK I finished it in Constantiaberg but no one complained or asked for postponement

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

People on their Facebook page asking for postponement so I wonder if they relented. That's swak. It's mountain biking! Last years xco at Paul Cluver went ahead despite the conditions. Thanks WPMTB. OK I finished it in Constantiaberg but no one complained or asked for postponement

2018 PRIMARY school SPUR MTB series.

It was BUCKETING down !!!

555831501_SPURSW2018-124.jpg.d26d64f28e25173da3d84f76d9de8759.jpg

The 6 and 7 year old race was cancelled, but they were allowed to partake in the practice laps.  Maritz LOVED it.  This pic the rain cleared for a moment, by the end of the lap it was bucketing again ....

203628659_SPURSW2018-110.jpg.84b32104c7af2172a13d0f1bd247379d.jpg

Edited by ChrisF

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

no one complained ? Some guys didn't race because they didn't want to get their cars dirty ???? 

it was an absolute **** show. when I saw the forecast for that Val de vie thing I was actually happy I didn't get myself into this, would have been a **** 3 days on the bicycle. I think it was the right call from them, lots of clavicles would have been broken if they went ahead. Marathon races aren't usually technical at all and it's still common to see lots of OTBs and very weird crashes even when it's dry.

On the bright side, workshops would have made a lot of money changing bearings and drive trains

Edited by Jbr

I saw a post where an individual appealed for postponement because the trails would get hurt, drivetrains would lose 1500km of life and it would be dangerous....

Now the entrants want perfect weather too LOL.... This has got to be a low point. Will organisers start to dig (pun intended)????

If the race was cancelled on account of a bit of water falling from the sky then maybe these same people shouldn't take a shower.

PC last year was a ****show. That was the muddiest race I've actually started. Even the Cape Epic wet days in 2005 didn't compare. There was the Tokai Challenge I think it was in 2004 when it rained so hard the course was a river flowing uphill.

I get it, we want to have fun, and the weather should be conducive to cracking open a few beers afterward , not the teapot but its MTB, VTT, the race should go on. Whether entrants chose to start or not is a different matter. That's personal choice. MTB has always been a winte sport for me in SA. In Europe its was a summer sport but it was still wet

Edited by DieselnDust

10 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

I saw a post where an individual appealed for postponement because the trails would get hurt, drivetrains would lose 1500km of life and it would be dangerous....

Now the entrants want perfect weather too LOL.... This has got to be a low point. Will organisers start to dig (pun intended)????

I get it, we want to have fun, and the weather should be conducive to cracking open a few beers afterward , not the teapot but its MTB, VTT, the race should go on. Whether entrants chose to start or not is a different matter. That's personal choice. MTB has always been a winte sport for me in SA. In Europe its was a summer sport but it was still wet

Looking out the window it is clear that riding today would have been too much of a risk, to the riders and trails ....

CS-font ...

12 hours ago, ChrisF said:

The 6 and 7 year old race was cancelled, but they were allowed to partake in the practice laps.  Maritz LOVED it.  This pic the rain cleared for a moment, by the end of the lap it was bucketing again ....

I was there that day. It was hectic. My set of tekkies were ruined. It looked like I had muddy gumboots on. My son had an awesome race that day.

I have vowed never to support another Val de Vie race ever after the clusterfuck of a Stellies Cycle Tour they had there few years ago. We were stuck trying to park for almost 2 hours.

Edited by dev null

11 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

My wildly speculative guess based on no evidence is that there would be some agreement in place that requires the organisers to repair any major damage to the well-known trails they use for the race, which could be substantial if a 100+ weekend warriors wade through on a muddy weekend and the organisers wanted to avoid this(or maybe all the permissions just weren't in place which would not be a first for these organisers ????).

But I don't quite get the sentiment that some entrants can decide on behalf of others that it is too dangerous & expensive to ride in mud. It should be up to each rider to make the call for themselves.

13 hours ago, ChrisF said:

You got a parts sponsor Chrissy? 

1 hour ago, dev null said:

I was there that day. It was hectic. My set of tekkies were ruined. It looked like I had muddy gumboots on. My son had an awesome race that day.

Drowned an expensive cell phone that day ... :(

1 hour ago, Skubarra said:

My wildly speculative guess based on no evidence is that there would be some agreement in place that requires the organisers to repair any major damage to the well-known trails they use for the race, which could be substantial if a 100+ weekend warriors wade through on a muddy weekend and the organisers wanted to avoid this(or maybe all the permissions just weren't in place which would not be a first for these organisers ????).

But I don't quite get the sentiment that some entrants can decide on behalf of others that it is too dangerous & expensive to ride in mud. It should be up to each rider to make the call for themselves.

Many years ago we did a muddy race at Welvanpas. It was lots of fun and nobody died. My son's BB was stuffed after that race, but that is MTBing. The Europeans would laugh at us stopping a MTB race because of rain and mud.

1 hour ago, Skubarra said:

Well it is the new golf after all. Mind you even golfers brave the elements. So ja. Why eve bother enter races anymore if they are going to canceled at the drop of a hat/rain/whatever. Next they will cancel because of heat, wait this has also been done, or maybe next time because someone did a scout of the route and found a stone in the path.

3 hours ago, TDFN said:

Well it is the new golf after all. Mind you even golfers brave the elements. So ja. Why eve bother enter races anymore if they are going to canceled at the drop of a hat/rain/whatever. Next they will cancel because of heat, wait this has also been done, or maybe next time because someone did a scout of the route and found a stone in the path.

This event popped up on my feed, and I just lol'd at it. This one is obviously for those ex-golfer s-works riding execs. 

• 4 months later...
On 5/13/2021 at 2:59 PM, MTBeer said:

the number of spam emails I've received from them????.

no unsubscribe option in their emails. swak

944572609_Screenshotfrom2021-09-2014-52-15.png.e12228a53ea5548263d42516376345dc.png

????

My friend just reminded me that we have entries to this event. Who's going? What are your thoughts? Tell me things!