[Event] Val de Vie MTB Expedition 2021

aquaratza

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

also with the number of Ebikes spotted at this years race... surely they chasing away significant number by excluding?

13 minutes ago, babse said:

also with the number of Ebikes spotted at this years race... surely they chasing away significant number by excluding?

There weren't that many I don't think? How many would you say there were? Anyway, they needed the ebikes for covid, but covid is done now so they can send ebike money away ahahaha

I bought a new helmet at the race village, my existing one looked like it was melting, so I supported one of their local tenants.

I suspect no ebikes is ultimately due to them starting the ebikes at the back, right before everyone else... I'm a considerate overtaker but I'm sure not everyone is (regardless of technology).

Edited by aquaratza

22 minutes ago, aquaratza said:

There weren't that many I don't think? How many would you say there were? Anyway, they needed the ebikes for covid, but covid is done now so they can send ebike money away ahahaha

I bought a new helmet at the race village, my existing one looked like it was melting, so I supported one of their local tenants.

I suspect no ebikes is ultimately due to them starting the ebikes at the back, right before everyone else... I'm a considerate overtaker but I'm sure not everyone is (regardless of technology).

nah I'm not sure of numbers, its just an observation from what was seen in the village...

Ā 

I'm not an ebike rider but I do think they have their place too at these type of events, starting from the back behind all pedal bikes.

Anyway its their race and they can do as they wish (just stop spamming me)!

Would of been nice if they somehow got the results out.Not just thrown everyone all together.Teams,solo riders,ebikes,mixed teams.Kind of pointless entering the event next year.Might as well just go ride those trails on my own.

4 minutes ago, stringbean said:

Would of been nice if they somehow got the results out.Not just thrown everyone all together.Teams,solo riders,ebikes,mixed teams.Kind of pointless entering the event next year.Might as well just go ride those trails on my own.

this was my only gripe of the race actually... the results, but thats a racetec issue is it not?

1 hour ago, aquaratza said:

At the Standford Classic (February 2020) the ebikes started 10 minutes before the normal bikes.

Ā 

Seems to have worked nicely.Ā  Ā BUT, it does open up the system for teams and slip streaming .....

Ā 

Ā 

Starting from the BACK ..... Thats what I did on Saturday at Eselfontein.Ā  I was at the VERY back, and hung back while the snake turned through the farm yard and onto the farm road.Ā  Due to a slight inclicne, that kept on climbing more and more, the snake stretched out quickly, and I could pass a lot of riders.

Ā 

I would slow down, and ask the Team riders to line up and take a photo of them, then move up the line and do the same for the next team .... Suddenly it was not an ebiker racing up the field, but a nice way to start the ride.Ā  By the time the route turned off the farm road I had passed more than 50% of the field.Ā  Along the single track I kept a comfortable distance to the rider ahead of me.Ā  Next open section or farm road I would pass when safe.Ā  And then I got to the "second group" that were doing a pretty decent pace.Ā  I would pass them going uphill, stop and take photos as they pass, then follow downhill in clear air, making sure not to hold up anybody.

Ā 

Ā 

It is possible to co-exist, AND to have fun.

Ā 

mmh ok got 2 emails today... appears they have at least 3 separate mailing lists...

20 minutes ago, Jbr said:

mmh ok got 2 emails today... appears they have at least 3 separate mailing lists...

haha yes, and SMSes. The emails today came from both RaceTec/CycleEvents and Wynand directly.

I got the one from CycleEvents.

Ā 

The only way to "unsubscribe" is to unsubscribe from "CycleEvents" and to miss out on information of other rides ....Ā  Their system used to work nicely.Ā  Was very handy to find out of upcoming events, but enough already of Val De Vie ....

Ā 

I have sent them an email on their address at the bottom of the email.

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

I responded with some French words...

Ā 

this event suddenly feels like spam

41 minutes ago, babse said:

I responded with some French words...

Ā 

this event suddenly feels like spam

Ā 

I tried the "nice approach" .... let's see if either of us has any luck ....Ā :P

On 9/28/2021 at 10:46 PM, Cyclingpilot said:

Not very happy with the organiser... Wynand de Villiers I think is his name.Ā 

<snip>

These event organizers are becoming a law unto themselves... if they are not affiliated to CSA, nothing you can do...

@Cyclingpilot has experience with the "nice" approachĀ 

37 minutes ago, babse said:

haven't received anything today...Ā Ā ????

Ā 

yet

just received one from cycleevents, now I created a gmail filter that deletes all emails containing "val de vie" before it even gets to my inbox