[Event] Val de Vie MTB Expedition 2021

aquaratza

I apologise in advance if this topic already exists somewhere, I did search.

Has anyone signed up for the Val de Vie MTB Expedition? It's happening on the 14th to 16th of May (inclusive)? Entries close on the 10th of May. It was originally a team event but now they also accept single riders.

My friend signed me up for it  :ph34r:  :nuke:

It is 127km of riding around Paarl over 3 days.

It consists of:

A time trial (in their emails they keep calling it a Time TRAIL, aaaargh): 20km on the 14th

Stage 2: 75km on the 15th 1650m ascent

Val de Vie Estate| Hawequa Forest | Wild Hog Welvanpas | Drakenstein Mountains

Stage 3 – 77km 1800m ascent

Val de Vie Estate| Banhoek | Helshoogte | Boschendal | Plasir de Merle Idas Valley Dam Skyfall | Camissa | Klipwerf | Afterburner | Inferno | Sugarbowl

Edited by aquaratza

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I apologise in advance if this topic already exists somewhere, I did search.

Has anyone signed up for the Val de Vie MTB Expedition? It's happening on the 14th to 16th of May (inclusive)?

The fact that it hasn't been listed and/or promoted on BH may affect attendance...

My friend signed me up for it.

I looked at it but they didn't have the single rider no meals and no accomodation option. Now I see they do for R2800....

That's R933.33 per day.

Is an event goodie bag included?

I looked at it but they didn't have the single rider no meals and no accomodation option. Now I see they do for R2800....

That's R933.33 per day.

Is an event goodie bag included?

Event goodie bags are odd... I want it but it's just more cr*p to throw away most of the time. I think the only goodie bag of interest I've gotten so far was from Sani2C, which had a buff and a USB battery pack in it. Even a lightweight happy-go-lucky event like Houw Hoek Tour does basic goodie bags.

On my entry it says "FREE RAIN JACKET"

A friend of mine has entered as a single rider - she's wanting to use it to train.

My friend and I stay in Durbanville, so we'll be driving to the event each day. No meals or accomodation.

Edited by aquaratza

7 hours ago, aquaratza said:

This event has been postponed until sometime after winter. It seems like a responsible decision.

2 days ago it was still going ahead, what has changed?

Covid cases are on the rise and we're into our 3rd wave. Its on the news and western cape gov site.

Too many complaints from s works guys that there was a bit of rain coming.

Seriously think they should of just reduced distance and carried on.

No guarantee about anything later in the year and calendar will be full.

Think refund option should be offered.

feel for anyone putting events on these days, but asking for more entries on monday and cancelling on wed is a bit swak.

https://web.facebook.com/valdeviemtbexpedition/posts/143561267782512

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

Covid cases are on the rise and we're into our 3rd wave. Its on the news and western cape gov site.

really?

don't see it https://coronavirus.westerncape.gov.za/

Edited by Shebeen

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

feel for anyone putting events on these days, but asking for more entries on monday and cancelling on wed is a bit swak.

https://web.facebook.com/valdeviemtbexpedition/posts/143561267782512

really?

don't see it https://coronavirus.westerncape.gov.za/

Same people that organise ToGH, people on the hub might think by now I have a vendetta against them... In their defence every now and then they get an event almost right, just not often enough for my liking to ever enter something they organise again (unless someone else is paying ????)

Sent mail asking about refund.Let’s wait and see.As said in previous post,don’t organise a race in winter if you don’t want rain.

Don't enter a race this time of year if you not willing to ride in the rain.

wow, I posted this event and only DieselnDust commented. They cancel and now you're all here hahahahaha.

I wouldn't have ridden on the Saturday if the weather involved torrential rain - I've now ridden a few events in driving rain and mud and I'm over it. I think the organisers made a responsible decision with limited information, although a refund should probably have been offered.

In other news, Friday looks like amazing cycling weather :D

Edited by aquaratza

5 minutes ago, aquaratza said:

wow, I posted this event and only DieselnDust commented. They cancel and now you're all here hahahahaha.

I wouldn't have ridden on the Saturday if the weather involved torrential rain - I've now ridden a few events in driving rain and mud and I'm over it. I think the organisers made a responsible decision with limited information, although a refund should probably have been offered.

In other news, Friday looks like amazing cycling weather :D

Probably would have done the same if it was me, but I think people would like to have the option to decide for themselves? Especially non-Capetonians who would have made travel & accommodation arrangements to attend the event?