Help selecting a hardtail mountain bike

LivaN

If it was me - Specialized Chisel. 

Incredible value if you look carefully at what you get. 

On 5/16/2021 at 5:02 PM, openmind said:

If it was me - Specialized Chisel. 

Incredible value if you look carefully at what you get. 

They don't have stock atm. That's the problem...no one has stock.

Narrowed it down to these:

• Merida Big Nine SLX
  • Trek X-Caliber 8
  • Scott Scale 970

Not sure how to compare the SRAM components to the Shimano....should I just take the one that feels better?

Edited by LivaN

Liva it is hardly fair to compare Shimano to SRAM based on these bikes ....

Both Trek and Scott saved money by using the crappiest "SX" components from SRAM.

Between these three bikes, and these specs, the Merida is simply a MUCH better bike.

Disclaimer : After two bikes (a Scott and a Trek) each with brand new SRAM GX drive trains that were super finicky I do have a preference for Shimano.  My Scott was probably my best bike ever, in terms of handling, fit, and smile factor .... but that infernal barrel bolt tweaking during rides had me considering converting it to Shimano !! 

Titan are making incredible bikes now. Twenty grand gets you a 12 speed SLX, Rockshock Judy Gold, really good Helix wheelset and new more aggressive geometry. Got one for my daughter and I'm jealous as hell????

2 hours ago, LivaN said:

Narrowed it down to these:

• Merida Big Nine SLX
  • Trek X-Caliber 8
  • Scott Scale 970

Not sure how to compare the SRAM components to the Shimano....should I just take the one that feels better?

FYI,  Merida owns 49% of specialized so seeing that you wanted a specialized chisel ????

On 5/22/2021 at 12:27 PM, ChrisF said:

Liva it is hardly fair to compare Shimano to SRAM based on these bikes ....

Both Trek and Scott saved money by using the crappiest "SX" components from SRAM.

Between these three bikes, and these specs, the Merida is simply a MUCH better bike.

Disclaimer : After two bikes (a Scott and a Trek) each with brand new SRAM GX drive trains that were super finicky I do have a preference for Shimano.  My Scott was probably my best bike ever, in terms of handling, fit, and smile factor .... but that infernal barrel bolt tweaking during rides had me considering converting it to Shimano !! 

Thanks! This is great advice. Since these bikes differ in price by 5%~10%, I think it's worth it to go for the slightly more expensive, but much better specced, Merida.

On 5/22/2021 at 1:55 PM, MajG said:

FYI,  Merida owns 49% of specialized so seeing that you wanted a specialized chisel ????

Very interesting to know thank you!