Conversion of Gravel Bike to Flat Bar and Friction Shifters

Is it just me or a gravel bike with flat bars is a rigid hardtail MTB?

Is it therefore easier to change bar+brakes+shifter etc on the gravel bike, or get a Hardtail MTB and put a fixed fork on?

*bites tongue*

Basically the same bikes as what we rode in in the 90s, same terrain as well. Then it was called mountain biking, now it's called gravel.

I will admit that the brakes are a bit better now.

What price did you have in mind? 

:offtopic: I will never use them again so open to offer. Silver colour with scuff marks.

Except now companies like Niner is putting front and rear suspension on them as well. It really feels like we are going around in circles.

https://ninerbikes.com/products/mcr-9-rdo

Sorry for derailing (pun intended) the original thread, I cant see non-indexed shifters making a big comeback for mainstream bikes soon. 

Basically the same bikes as what we rode in in the 90s, same terrain as well. Then it was called mountain biking, now it's called gravel.

I will admit that the brakes are a bit better now.

I am using friction shifters with Thumbies on a Jones Bar and and is the best gear changing I have ever experienced.  I used the same setup on a Mary Bar witch was also good.  The Mary Bar is now up for sale if anybody is interested.  Nothing beats a Jones bar for touring in my opinion.

It is great to hear that you concur with my finding on Thumbies.

I've got a Mary Bar on one of my other bikes and it is virtually identical to the FSA Metropolis. The sweep back geometry eliminated the pins and needles sensation my hands developed on longer rides, especially when fitting ergo grips as well. Agree about the Jones Bar. My bike has a front rack as well, but if it didn't, I would certainly have considered a Jones Bar too.

Is it therefore easier to change bar+brakes+shifter etc on the gravel bike, or get a Hardtail MTB and put a fixed fork on?

Yes, pretty much. My bike looks like an 80's style mountain bike, but with the difference that it has disc brakes and plenty of braze-ons for mounting water bottles and bike racks for touring. There are no less than 5 sets of bosses to mount water bottle-cages. In addition, rack mounting points are provided over both the front and rear wheels.  The frame even has a special kink near the head tube to accommodate a full size bottle. In my opinion, a gravel bike without sufficient braze-ons is not very useful. 

Yes, pretty much. My bike looks like an 80's style mountain bike, but with the difference that it has disc brakes and plenty of braze-ons for mounting water bottles and bike racks for touring. There are no less than 5 sets of bosses to mount water bottle-cages. In addition, rack mounting points are provided over both the front and rear wheels.  The frame even has a special kink near the head tube to accommodate a full size bottle. In my opinion, a gravel bike without sufficient braze-ons is not very useful. 

The "purists" may ask what you are doing touring with a gravel bike ....  some say a gravel bike may ONLY be a road bike with slightly wider tires ....

FULLY agree, a bike has a FUNCTION, first and foremost.   :thumbup:    A nice paint job and good looks really are super nice, but function first ....

Okay, okay, I will go sit in the corner ...  :whistling:

The "purists" may ask what you are doing touring with a gravel bike ....  some say a gravel bike may ONLY be a road bike with slightly wider tires ....

When you are a pensioner like me, it is just too expensive to be a "purist". Multi functional gadgets rule. But you have a point, the gravel category is an enigma.

. In my opinion, a gravel bike without sufficient braze-ons is not very useful.

With modern bikepacking bags one doesn't really need braze-on mounts. Or racks for that matter. Edited by PhilipV

On 5/11/2021 at 9:14 AM, PhilipV said:

With modern bikepacking bags one doesn't really need braze-on mounts. Or racks for that matter.

Yes you are correct, these bags are great. My own preference is to have any weight on my bike as low as possible. It helps a great deal with stability. The other thing I find puzzling (looking at pictures of fully loaded bikepacking bags) is how on earth are you supposed to swing your leg over that tower sticking up from behind your saddle? At my age, my kickboxing days are over. ????