What light trail/xc tire combos are you riding?

Jared Falck

I am interested to know what light trail/aggressive xc tires everyone is running.

I currently have a specialized ground control and fast trak control casings and am moving to a vittoria barzo and mezcal cape cobras when my current tires wear out.

Rekon race front&rear, I do find the rear doesn't last very long though, but I also ride on the road quite a bit with the little one...

I saw that CWC is running a special on Aspen, they look like they go even quicker, if the special was a bit better I might have tried them on.

Edited by Jbr

and am moving to a vittoria barzo and mezcal cape cobras when my current tires wear out.

If you are wanting to go lightweight, the Vittoria combo, while being fantastic tyres, are not lightweight.

My go-to combo for lightweight is Schwable Rocket Ron, Racing Ralph.

If you are wanting to go lightweight, the Vittoria combo, while being fantastic tyres, are not lightweight.

Yes but the Vittoria combo is not far off the weight and they are more grippy what my experience has been - far more trail than XC 

Vittoria 2.35 combo in the region of 740g for Barzo and 760g for the Mezcal.

Edited by s14phoenix

Yes but the Vittoria combo is not far off the weight and they are more grippy what my experience has been - far more trail than XC 

in 2.25 maybe. In 2.35 those tyre are over 800gr ea

Not really looking for anything lightweight, just the right amount of grip I want so I can have fun. FYI my spez tires are from 2016, so they are very different to what you buy now, bought a used bike that hadn’t been ridden and they can with them.

Current setup is Barzo 2.35 front and rear. Can't say I have been overly impressed with them, especially as a front tyre. Find them floaty and unpredictable on gravelly loose over hard terrain and a pain to find the right pressure. Plus I've lost count how many times I've pinch cut these tyres, including on the protection strip. Even when slightly over inflated at around 2- 2.1 bar!

3.5/10 for me.

I am interested to know what light trail/aggressive xc tires everyone is running.

I currently have a specialized ground control and fast trak control casings and am moving to a vittoria barzo and mezcal cape cobras when my current tires wear out.

I ran 2 x Specialized Ground Controls, both were 2.3's. I had many issues on the rear tyre with punctures/loosing pressure and struggled even more with finding the right pressure to ride with (ok, granted the tyre had done around 2k in distance). 

I switched the rear to a Pirelli Scorpion (M)  2.2 and so far I'm very happy with the result for light trail stuff. 

I ran 2 x Specialized Ground Controls, both were 2.3's. I had many issues on the rear tyre with punctures/loosing pressure and struggled even more with finding the right pressure to ride with (ok, granted the tyre had done around 2k in distance). 

I switched the rear to a Pirelli Scorpion (M)  2.2 and so far I'm very happy with the result for light trail stuff. 

What casings did you use?

Any Spaz tyre in control casing is horrid. Grid casing is another story. The Ground Control 2.3 in Grid is probably one of my favourite summer rear tyres. 

15 hours ago, 117 said:

I just had a look at the Pirelli scorpions and they look great, maybe a combo of the H and M would be good for some more aggressive hard pack riding

I'll probably throw a H on the front soon to run that combo.