Cannondale shock query

The Lefty on my much loved 7 year old Flash carbon is not serviceable according to Omnico . Recorded rides 41000km . Am not going to buy another older fork only to be told again that parts have been discontinued. So my question is it possible to fit a non Lefty fork and what do I need to make it work ?

Thanks

Arno

Morning Arno

You can  fit a "normal fork" ... the steerer dia. is narrower on a "normal fork", so the better solution is to replace the headset ... they are often not the easiest to find and can cost a couple of Z.A.R though.

Omnico should be able to supply you with one.

1 hour ago, Prince Albert Cycles said:

The Lefty on my much loved 7 year old Flash carbon is not serviceable according to Omnico . Recorded rides 41000km . Am not going to buy another older fork only to be told again that parts have been discontinued. So my question is it possible to fit a non Lefty fork and what do I need to make it work ?

Thanks

Arno

It is possible, you’ll need an headset reducer in order to make this work. 

The below product is sold out, but good starting point for the parts needed - https://bikemob.co.za/products/cannondaleheadsetconversiontotapered

1 hour ago, Carmichael said:

There is a lefty 2.0 for sale in classifieds, 2.0 is serviceable , and a great fork. 

The only thing to watch out for when purchasing a 2.0 is to ensure the distance between the clamps is compatible with the frame you're fitting it to.

97mm for a size small tuned lefty 2.0

110mm for a size medium tuned lefty 2.0

122.5mm for a large tuned lefty

134mm for a XL tuned lefty 2.0

Older Cannondales using the Headshok headtube had a 132mm long head tube so you will need a lefty 2.0 from a Xlarge or a Lefty 2.0 Tall which has 160mm clamp spacing. 

Have it converted to PBR (push button remote) to save hassles finding poploc spares.

Edited by DieselnDust
Added tech info

Only 7 years old and parts have been discontinued they say, so why should one consider a cannondale in the future?   

Just thinking out loud, if you want to stick with the Lefty rather get the adaptor headset and get an alloy Ocho. Omnico sourced parts for lefty 2.0 from Europe in December but I can foresee parts for 2.0 becoming an issue.

40 minutes ago, argie1 said:

Only 7 years old and parts have been discontinued they say, so why should one consider a cannondale in the future?   

The platform lefty 1.0 is based on originated in 2004 with the Lefty Max 140. .... Its been upgraded and reincarnated several times since then. Everything has a life cycle and the DLR /1.0 platform has run its course.

Edited by DieselnDust

I may be able to save it depending on how far gone it is.

Otherwise, as mentioned, the Ocho headset will allow you to fit a standard fork although you'll have to rebuild the front wheel.

The Ocho is also an option, although quite an expensive one.

2 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Just thinking out loud, if you want to stick with the Lefty rather get the adaptor headset and get an alloy Ocho. Omnico sourced parts for lefty 2.0 from Europe in December but I can foresee parts for 2.0 becoming an issue.

Thats what I did when my Flash`s old Lefty handed in its notice - very happy with the new alloy Ocho !!!

5 hours ago, droo said:

I may be able to save it depending on how far gone it is.

Otherwise, as mentioned, the Ocho headset will allow you to fit a standard fork although you'll have to rebuild the front wheel.

The Ocho is also an option, although quite an expensive one.

Preferred option to save it not keen to spend a lot on a replacement fork not sure how long the frame will last ,

3 hours ago, Prince Albert Cycles said:

Preferred option to save it not keen to spend a lot on a replacement fork not sure how long the frame will last ,

cannondale warranty is pretty good. They' will likely replace your current frame with a current frame with a small pay in making the Alloy Ocho a worthwhile investment

10 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

cannondale warranty is pretty good. They' will likely replace your current frame with a current frame with a small pay in making the Alloy Ocho a worthwhile investment

You are making life difficult . Appreciate your input and expert knowledge thank you .

5 minutes ago, Prince Albert Cycles said:

With a new alloy Ocho I suppose I will have to rebuild the front wheel with the appropriate hub ? Think mine is the 50mm flange according to a previous post by you .

The 50mm can be adapted to fit the Ocho or 2.0. The 60m hubs ill not fit the old Lefty's 1.0 and earlier

https://www.cannondale-parts.de/epages/61764971.sf/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61764971/Products/"KH131/"

heres an example of the part you will need to fit the brake caliper for a 50mm hub on the Lefty 2.0 . For Ocho there should be a similar brake caliper adaptor. Best to check in with Omnico on the availability of such a part for Ocho as I can't find it on Cannondaleexperts.com

Edited by DieselnDust