Using expired gels

I use 32Gi gels.

I bought in bulk probably late 2019 early 2020. I see now that they expire this month.

what are the dangers of using expired gels ?

(b.t.w. I saw the pack of serviettes the wife bought also have an expiry date ????)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am by no means an expert in this matter, but I do know that it’s a legal requirement to have BBD and/or Manufactured dates on packaging. 

That Italian confectionery place I used to work for, pulled their stock off the shelves at 9 months after manufactured date, even though it was 3 months before the expired date. It was then destroyed or given as chicken/pig feed, but could still be safe for us humans.

Freshness means as best to the original taste that the manufacturer intended. The longer the time after manufactured date, the less fresh it will taste.

5 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

I have used it, when it starts to swell, then you know there is a little extra power!

and a dash of anti biotic to keep the germs away

12 minutes ago, ouzo said:

I use 32Gi gels.

I bought in bulk probably late 2019 early 2020. I see now that they expire this month.

what are the dangers of using expired gels ?

(b.t.w. I saw the pack of serviettes the wife bought also have an expiry date ????)

I reckon it's like tinned food. If the gel isn't swollen or shrivelled up, both of which would mean air has gotten in, it'll probably be fine.

Often the expiry date is not on the product but the packaging. From a food safety perspective, nothing in Gels is at risk of bacterial contamination as long as the sachet is sealed. 

Bacteria need FATTOM to grow:

Food (protein is best) 

Acidity (low acid pH) 

Time

Temperature (5-60 degrees C) 

Oxygen 

Moisture

So you should be good with that on most sealed foods that don't have ingredients that will naturally break down inside the container. 

10 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

When poison reaches it's expiry date is it more or less poisonous?

I'm guessing it will taste a bit different?

13 minutes ago, Frosty said:

SNIP... as best to the original taste that the manufacturer intended. The longer the time after manufactured date, the less fresh it will taste.

I just loaded a gel that expired 18 months ago into my race pack for next week.

I am had honestly given it zero thought. In my mind it's just sugar and caffeine!