Using expired gels

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, shaper said:

Have often used gels as much as 6 months past due date without issue!

????????????????

Noob. I have some more than two year old ones. Used one a couple of weeks ago with no problems.

In fact I bought them expired from clicks on sale.

There's an important difference between best-before dates, and use-by/expiry dates:

Use by dates indicate when a product may no longer be safe to eat. You should not eat, cook, or freeze it after the date displayed, even if it looks or smells fine. Best before dates are an indication of quality rather than safety. You can still eat food after its best before date, but its flavour and texture is most likely not as good as before the date.

9 minutes ago, bertusras said:

There's an important difference between best-before dates, and use-by/expiry dates:

This! If it's past it's "Best Before" date it's unlikely to be harmful but it might have degraded from a nutritional perspective. Either that or it will mutate into a powerful performance enhancing drug as hinted at earlier in the thread

FWIW, many poisons (or chemicals) would have an active ingredient, that has a shelf life. 

1 minute ago, Frosty said:

FWIW, many poisons (or chemicals) would have an active ingredient, that has a shelf life. 

as long as the placebo ingredient is still active its should be good :)

43 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

????????????????

Noob. I have some more than two year old ones. Used one a couple of weeks ago with no problems.

Also, if need to fix an inner tube the gel can be used as well!

45 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

????????????????

When I first started riding, there was a guy behind canal walk that would sell expired Roctane's. Those were only to be used as a final hail Mary.

9 hours ago, Patchelicious said:

I took the advice on this thread and used an old gel during intervals today.

It didn’t end so lekker, got the KOM though #worthit

Yikes, my stomach turned so fast I had to make a u-turn myself or it could have been almost as ugly as the picture you posted 

Like a fine wine....gels will age gracefully and can be enjoyed and savoured for many years after the sell by..

59 minutes ago, WR 1.0 said:

Wait until the first doper uses the "expired gel" excuse 

Which is why any pro should mix their own energy supplements on the counter at the pharmacy. Can't trust something in a sealed packet.

18 hours ago, Headshot said:

You probably won't win an event on an expired gel. 

You probably would be fined by the UCI for using expired gels