Maxxis Rear Tire is the most suited

Lukas Ferreira

6 hours ago, Mtree said:

As a rear tyre? ????

Problem is the DH and DD casings aren’t available in faster rolling tyres - I wish they were.

To the OP, you need a tyre with a strong sidewall. Maxxis make a Double Down (DD) casing, and a Down Hill (DH) casing. Their normal EXO or EXO+ casing will not handle your weight easily. The only faster rolling tyre I am aware of that you will get in SA in the casings I mentioned is the Maxxis Minion SS (semi slick) in 2.3. I think my local shop actually has one, I will check today and let you know - they will be able to courier to you.

Then I would also suggest a tyre insert and tubeless conversion instead of using a tube. Look at Cush Core or Vitoria air liner - both expensive but they will save your rims and tyres and you will get away with lower pressures (maybe around 3 bar). You can google Cush Core to get more info on it.

I’ll send you a message later today once I’ve asked my local shop if they have the Minion SS in either DD or DH casing. 

If you get lucky you may also find the Maxxis Aggressor in a shop in DD casing. Your other alternative is to look at Specialized tyres, they bring the Slaughter (similar to the Maxxis Minion SS) into SA in a DH casing, and then the Eliminator which rolls a bit slower but still fast enough in a Black Diamond casing which is similar to the Maxxis DD casing. 

My dad is also heavy (145kg) and he uses a Specialized Eliminator in Black Diamond with a Cush Core insert and runs about 2.8bar. That seems to be fine for him.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

12 hours ago, BB Giant said:

I run Ikon 29er 2.6 tyres at 1.4 bar on Tygerberg trails also big guy and very fast. Run these with no issue.

20210508_180043.jpg

Aitsa - kyk daai Envies.

5 hours ago, Grease_Monkey said:

Problem is the DH and DD casings aren’t available in faster rolling tyres - I wish they were.

To the OP, you need a tyre with a strong sidewall. Maxxis make a Double Down (DD) casing, and a Down Hill (DH) casing. Their normal EXO or EXO+ casing will not handle your weight easily. The only faster rolling tyre I am aware of that you will get in SA in the casings I mentioned is the Maxxis Minion SS (semi slick) in 2.3. I think my local shop actually has one, I will check today and let you know - they will be able to courier to you.

Then I would also suggest a tyre insert and tubeless conversion instead of using a tube. Look at Cush Core or Vitoria air liner - both expensive but they will save your rims and tyres and you will get away with lower pressures (maybe around 3 bar). You can google Cush Core to get more info on it.

I’ll send you a message later today once I’ve asked my local shop if they have the Minion SS in either DD or DH casing. 

If you get lucky you may also find the Maxxis Aggressor in a shop in DD casing. Your other alternative is to look at Specialized tyres, they bring the Slaughter (similar to the Maxxis Minion SS) into SA in a DH casing, and then the Eliminator which rolls a bit slower but still fast enough in a Black Diamond casing which is similar to the Maxxis DD casing. 

My dad is also heavy (145kg) and he uses a Specialized Eliminator in Black Diamond with a Cush Core insert and runs about 2.8bar. That seems to be fine for him.

I would definitely run an Aggressor 2.9 x 2.3 with EXO (still fast rolling) - or the DD as opposed to a Crossmark for the rear and maybe an Ardent 2.9 x 2.25 (high volume tyre) on the front in the same. Going to these slightly more aggressive tyres in not going to make you climb much more difficulty and you'll have better cornering grip too. 

At almost around 100kg at one stage I ran Aggressor (27.5 x 2.3) at just over 2bar (30psi) no hassles and now I run that same tyre at 2.5bar when at the jump parks and I was 96kg running fine like this. 

Go tubeless too - way better

18 hours ago, Super Sywurm said:

I don't have experience with a lot of tyres, but I have never damaged a Crossmark.  I always replace them because they did their job (they do puncture).

The Ikons on the other hand...sjoe, they don't last.  I am kind of exited to try the Recon Races next.

I do XC riding.

I Agree Ikons are Shite Wear Too Fast.

at the Moment Ardent Race (Full House) is my Goto Tyre At the Back.

Oh damn, someone took the Assegai DH casing as a serious post.

If you want a fast as hell tyre, fair weight, and decent casing, just put a Maxxis Minion SS on.  I've run one on my trail bike for 2 years and it's fantastic.  And has side knobs that are there when needed, but out of the way for when you're up and putting down those watts.