Maxxis Rear Tire is the most suited

Lukas Ferreira

Good Afternoon

I will like to get some advise on a rear tire to match the current Recon 29 x 2.4 from.

i had a crossmark 2 29 x 2.25 which got a side wall cut a week ago, so now I' m thinking wheather I should get another CM2 or should I chance to 1 of the following Icon 29x 2.35  or Ardent Race 29 x 2.35. 
I a heavy guy and run the rear @ 4.5 bar , less then that is rimming when I ride. 

I am been mtb for a year and is still new to the sport. I mostly go to Buffelsdrift MTB park north of Pretoria 

can some please assist with which rear I should go for 

regards 

Lukws 

Holy Hell 4.5bar? It must feel like you are riding on solid steel wheels.

I am a light guy at 73 kg but I run front at 1.6 and rear at 1.8. 

Tyre pressure aside, if you like the way the Crossmark II felt you can go for the EXO one with the tougher sidewall.

4.5 bar ????

Try maar 'n High Roller of enige iets met ten minste DoubleDown (DD) casing, dalk kan jy dan wegkom met ~2bar  

Would definitely recommend Exo+ casing...
Icon or Ardent race would be sufficient, can't really go more aggressive without the tail wagging the dog here...

Edited by Mtree

I'm 1.8m tall and weigh 160kg

I run a tube in the tire as well, yes it is stone hard but when I'm on the bike it looks like its pumped at 2 bar 

I like to run a hard tyre myself but around 2.6-2.8..(Assuming the gauge reads correctly)..I weigh about 85. Also the Crossmark. But the skinny 2.1 version. I know it seems hard but I have also seen a few tyres pop and sealant all over and riders going down in some races....Kind of puts me off being too soft on cheap rims....

Depending on your bike I would say check that your rear stays can take the wider tyre...
Im at my limits with a 2.25....

Edited by Mojoman

I ride the trails in Cape Town some of which have some nasty rock sections, I weigh 110kg and run the rear at 2 bar. Never had a pinch flat yet

I run Ikon 29er 2.6 tyres at 1.4 bar on Tygerberg trails also big guy and very fast. Run these with no issue.

20210508_180043.jpg

Edited by BB Giant

If I were you I'd go for a tyre with the strongest possible casing (i.e. Downhill casing, maybe Double-down will work too). At 160kgs, the weight saved using anything less is a sub-marginal gain. You won't find anything with an XC tread pattern and a downhill casing, but there are options such as the Maxxis Minion SS or Specialized Slaughter that will offer somewhat lower rolling resistance.

I don't have experience with a lot of tyres, but I have never damaged a Crossmark.  I always replace them because they did their job (they do puncture).

The Ikons on the other hand...sjoe, they don't last.  I am kind of exited to try the Recon Races next.

I do XC riding.

2 hours ago, Simon123 said:

Definitely, you need to run Maxxis Assegai in DH casing after this experience.

As a rear tyre? ????