SUIKERBOS SBR current state

ZamaK

Planning a visit to SBR for a full loop ride with some friends.

Last time I was there (pre-covid), the place was starting to really fall apart, due to lack of maintenance.

The pubic toilets were closed.

There were issues with the water supply/ pressure in some areas. 

The picnic area (@ no.7) was also closed.

ANYONE BEEN THERE LATELY?

PLEASE SHARE WHAT TO BE ON THE LOOK OUT FOR for cycling purposes. 

Edited by ZamaK

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are two big "new" signs at the entrance on the Kareekloof side, if that counts for anything. I haven't been there for a long time, so can't offer anything other than the two new signs that I saw on Saturday morning.

I have been there, the small toilets close to the main parking is still closed but, small bit on is like a MAIN building, nice toilets there and they now open 6AM, not so sure about winter time, we were there a month ago.

@Dexter-morgan Thanks for the feedback, very helpful indeed!!!
I tried calling their number, but no answer (i was really holding my breath). Guess will see when we get there. Will post an updated here.

53 minutes ago, ZamaK said:

@Dexter-morgan Thanks for the feedback, very helpful indeed!!!
I tried calling their number, but no answer (i was really holding my breath). Guess will see when we get there. Will post an updated here.

Have a look on Facebook  'friends of suiker  ...'. Maybe post there too?

It is fine to ride. Take extra water and throw in some toilet roll just in case. And card only no cash. 

Lots of people still using the place. Just go. You'll be fine.

Ja, Friends of SBR on FB encouraging cyclists to go .

• 4 weeks later...

So the good news is that the SRB course is still completely rideable, as challenging as it is...it is excellent training to improve climbing and fight your inner cycling demons. The road surface is still in great condition and not having to worry about traffic from behind is absolute bliss!

All in all it's still a great cycling experience. 

Here are some other things I noticed and agreed to most of the feedback already mentioned in the comments above:

The place does get more packed on Saturdays, mostly hikers, so best to arrive early (they really do open at 6am) or budget about 15-30minutes for the queue at the gate (entry traffic and the COVID screening). They no longer accept cash. Payment is strictly CARD only.

????But where have all the animals gone? didn't even see or hear any monkeys or zebras on the entire full loop. There is evidence that they are still around though because of all the hard poop on the road. But guess they hide away during the day coz of all the noise from more hikers on the trails.

Unfortunately, the maintenance is still in shambles . . . Working toilets are at the Reception building (pretty clean I must say). The toilets at Kareenkloof gate entrance also still work, which was a bit of a relief.

Water is still an issue because their pumps don't work. So make sure to carry enough water (and extra water for afterwards). Bringing your own toilet paper is also a good idea.

Unfortunately the Holhoek picnic spot is closed (about 2 years now if not longer). The Kareenkloof pool area is also still cordoned off (must be close to 15yrs now if not longer).

Their museum looks to be still working . . . saw a guard manning the entrance.

The chalets are apparently no longer being operated, not sure for how long . . .must be because of the water issue (and probably lack of maintenance).

For braaing, the best place is the picnic and kids play area, next to the main parking area.

Edited by ZamaK

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Its fine, go in the north gate for access. The fire ruined the southern entrance which is still closed. 

From what I hear there is still no water top up facilities available, so take your own. Entry is still paid by card only and around 50 beer or cider coupons.