Trails in Gauteng that offer a bit of a challenge?

RJClegg

3 minutes ago, RocknRolla said:

van gaalen has a great river section, if you go across the road to do the concrete strips tant miems, daggapad etc, you will hit some elevation, but its nice and tech.

Combine the river with Greek church at van gaalen to get the best. But if you are going with someone they should show you the ropes at VG.

Best part of van gaalens is finding the Ale house in the area afterwards for some craft and pizza.

As for Howick, I have a mate that stays in Hilton, so we normally crash at his house. I have heard good things about 11 Karkloof (search on google) close by the trail network. 

Ale house!!! Best pizza and beer in Gauteng. Lekker pub vibe.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Big Red Barn

The Black Diamond Offshoots are Challenging AF.

Taroko Farms At Modderfontein Reserve.

The Ruins of Mordor  (Black Diamond Offshoots)

Edited by dasilvarsa
add

1 hour ago, Steady Spin said:

Wolwespruit. - Good flowy forest bits in the beginning with some jumps for fun. After about 12km you hit a lekker climb up to get to three flow / jumpy lines. Loop the one on the right a couple of times for a set of very well built tabletop jumps. Then do the middle line once or twice. End with a full run on the left line. 

Red Barn has all the fun stuff on the #1 route. Flat'ish but you can hit good speed for the jump lines. Nice big line with some good variation. Not a technical trail at all but some good flow. We are there every weekend. You are welcome to join us for a guided tour. Not sure how fit your wife is but she is welcome to join as well. It's my fiance and I that ride. We aren't fast by any means. 

Buffelsdrift has a 30km called the Zebra with a good mix of tech and flow. Rocks 2 Crocks and Supertube (road gap and smaller gap jumps) is super fun. Nyala Drop is short and technical. Also has a good 50km easy loop if you want to stretch the legs.

Grootfontein is super short on the normal trails side and fairly boring. The selection of Enduro lines is well worth it. Good jump lines with some north shore stuff and a selection of progressive drops.

Thanks for that, very informative! 

I might take you up on that offer too, at the moment I am struggling to find people to ride with me. I just wanna ride all the time at the moment and the wife wants to do more enduro / long XC type of stuff. So I generally go on my own on Saturday for a ride and then Sunday I go with her to ride somewhere easier, longer. 

36 minutes ago, RocknRolla said:

van gaalen has a great river section, if you go across the road to do the concrete strips tant miems, daggapad etc, you will hit some elevation, but its nice and tech.

Combine the river with Greek church at van gaalen to get the best. But if you are going with someone they should show you the ropes at VG.

Best part of van gaalens is finding the Ale house in the area afterwards for some craft and pizza.

As for Howick, I have a mate that stays in Hilton, so we normally crash at his house. I have heard good things about 11 Karkloof (search on google) close by the trail network. 

Would you say Van gaalen is better than Cradle moon in some aspects? Trying to decide which one to go to on Sunday - the wife wanted to do CM. I am not phased either way to be fair. 

34 minutes ago, Thermophage said:

Just go get that cable car ticket for Harties and multi-run the DH line I hear :)

If its the same DH one I saw on YT where you need a cable cart to get to... I'll skip. Looks way too difficult for me lol

1 minute ago, RJClegg said:

I might take you up on that offer too, at the moment I am struggling to find people to ride with me. I just wanna ride all the time at the moment and the wife wants to do more enduro / long XC type of stuff. So I generally go on my own on Saturday for a ride and then Sunday I go with her to ride somewhere easier, longer. 

Would you say Van gaalen is better than Cradle moon in some aspects? Trying to decide which one to go to on Sunday - the wife wanted to do CM. I am not phased either way to be fair. 

If its the same DH one I saw on YT where you need a cable cart to get to... I'll skip. Looks way too difficult for me lol

Don't underestimate yourself. 100% sure most people would ride most of it. Half the fun is struggling anyway, walking a line, deciding where to go and how.

RSA has way too many flow lines unfortunately and ppl pretending a jump trail is the only technical trail thing worth building. Slower technical stuff can be incredibly rewarding and even safer and more approachable to ride :)

4 minutes ago, RJClegg said:

Shoot me your number on DM. We can setup a couples ride.

5 minutes ago, Thermophage said:

Don't underestimate yourself. 100% sure most people would ride most of it. Half the fun is struggling anyway, walking a line, deciding where to go and how.

RSA has way too many flow lines unfortunately and ppl pretending a jump trail is the only technical trail thing worth building. Slower technical stuff can be incredibly rewarding and even safer and more approachable to ride :)

That's a fair point. But I think we are talking about different DH tracks here. The one I saw, is not for your average ride - looked proper downhill and my bike isn't built for that. 

3 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Shoot me your number on DM. We can setup a couples ride.

Will do. 

PS is this the route 1 you were referring to at BRB? 

5 minutes ago, RJClegg said:

That's a fair point. But I think we are talking about different DH tracks here. The one I saw, is not for your average ride - looked proper downhill and my bike isn't built for that. 

Will do. 

PS is this the route 1 you were referring to at BRB? 

Thats the one. Quite a bit was cut from that though. 

Edited by Steady Spin

6 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Thats the one. Quite a bit was cut from that though. 

From the video? 

Looks pretty decent actually and something the wife might be able to do, too. 

Don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but try Rotsvas in Pretoria. Not DH style technical, just technical in the sense that it is very rocky and you have to pick your way through everything up and down. Quite challenging, and takes is out of you if you are not fit. 

But like I said, not Enduro / DH techy, a shorter travel, nimble bike type of technical. 

1 minute ago, RJClegg said:

From the video? 

Looks pretty decent actually and something the wife might be able to do, too. 

There are at least 4 more sections that should be there. Flow Track, Rosies Rollercoaster, Jump Jump, Berm Berm, Bertha's Big Guns etc

40 minutes ago, Rolf Hansen said:

Just did Wolwespruit. Always a blast. 

IMG_20210514_180154.jpg

IMG_20210514_180132.jpg

Oh they do night riding there! How was that? 

Cradle Moon is an absolute blast.

The start of the blue route is awesome, a short climb then lots of flowing switch-back, berm-type single track.

You will get to a point where you can continue with the blue, or switch to yellow route. I found the rest of the blue route didn't offer enough fun factor for the amount of climbing you do. The yellow, however, is a good mix of climbs, flowing downhill, single track etc, and there are some sections where you can opt for the easy route or a more challenging one.

Huddle Bike Park was also quite fun, with an area near the "top" where you can hit a couple of whoops and drop-offs, and also some really nice flowing single track.

I also enjoy Rietvlei Zoo Farm, but there isn't much in the way of technical stuff, apart from one or two rocky climbs. It is, however, very scenic with river and forest sections.

Happy cycling! 

Van Gaalen has more trails available than Cradle moon so you can get more distance without repeating trails. It also has quite a lot more climbing. The new Snake Bite climb is a bit of a beast (2k at 9%) and the descent is pretty technical. 

Id start on cradle moon Blue/Yellow with your wife. But try Van Gaalen when you are riding by yourself then you can judge if she will enjoy it. 

Cradle moon does have a lot of game which can make for a really great ride. 

Lets not forget the cradle loop. It free, its running mint at the moment, and you can decide to either hit it at gow till you blow, or just having fun out in the open. Best part, doesnt cost you a cent ( directly) 

I’d have to go with JCA12 and say Cradle moon with the missus, but seriously, try and rather ride at 2pm. You will have little traffic, the mornings are insane. Alternatively, hit the trails just after sunrise while the undead are still dormant because of the temps. Rule of thumb, the general cradle area is 3 to 5 degrees colder than the forecast, due to the low altitude ( the croc river flows through there)