Italian BB Options

Joe Soap

Took me years to just know enough about MTB BBs, don't have time to invest the same in road bikes.

I have a cheap road bike that uses Italian BB with Shimano Ultegra 6500 (Octalink) cranks. My BB is not completely vrot yet but might as well start shopping.

As far as I can tell, not going to find a BB easy that works with this combo.

Any suggestions on other crank options that will work with IT BB that won't break the bank?

Or even better, if you have a lead on a Italian - Octalink BB that would be 1st prize.

see if you can salvage the italian threaded BB "cups". A number of those BB's could be either English or Italian thread depending on the cups you installed.

Also the way that stuff lasts you may still have a few years to find something..

Now that you mention it...

If my logic is not failing me, then technically it's only the left cup that Italian so I might be able to use English with my existing ITA left cup...

Not sure if BB diameters and threads are the same between ENG and ITA?

9 minutes ago, Joe Soap said:

Now that you mention it...

If my logic is not failing me, then technically it's only the left cup that Italian so I might be able to use English with my existing ITA left cup...

Not sure if BB diameters and threads are the same between ENG and ITA?

Diameter and thread pitch should be the same, 1.37in x 24 TPI. Technically the Italian one is 1.375in x 24TPI, so maybe a BSA wont even fit properly. Try one and see?

You need to find this sort of animal:

https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop/components/bottom-brackets/skf-bottom-bracket-isis/

Edited by TNT1

1 minute ago, TNT1 said:

Diameter and thread pitch should be the same, 1.37in x 24 TPI. Technically the Italian one is 1.375in x 24TPI, so maybe a BSA wont even fit properly. Try one and see?

Thanks, I'll see if I can find a used BSA to see if it might work

If your BB is Italian thread then BSA will not fit at all

Italian = 36mm X 24TPI

BSA = 1.37" X 24 TPI

The Dia's are completely different so you cannot mix and match.

Edited by madmarc

BSA won't fit and you are pretty much screwed as far as Octolink 1 goes.  It is difficult enough to find English threaded ones and if you do you can buy a square taper crank for less.  Italian BB's are all expensive.  Sell the bike while it is still going or look at something like a Velo Orange BB (serviceable bearings) and a square taper crank.