Missing Cyclist - Rietvlei

Mojoman

1 minute ago, ChrisF said:

1 January 2019 I did a solo ride, normal Tygerberg trails.  Except on 1 January it truly is a SOLO ride ....  Had a bit of heat stroke, misjudged an A-frame along Protea corridor and went flying ....

Dusted myself off, rode home, had a shower ... when I got out of the shower my wifes face said it all when she saw all the bruises.  I asked for a snack, and sat down in front of the tv ..... apparently I passed out .... I came to as she opened the door for a buddy that she called to assist. :whistling:  And all I wanted to know was, where is my snack ...  :P

Remember old Michael Schumacher? Same thing, he was up and about after the skiing fall, and then only went into a coma later. Now he's broccoli.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

1 January 2019 I did a solo ride, normal Tygerberg trails.  Except on 1 January it truly is a SOLO ride ....  Had a bit of heat stroke, misjudged an A-frame along Protea corridor and went flying ....

Dusted myself off, rode home, had a shower ... when I got out of the shower my wifes face said it all when she saw all the bruises.  I asked for a snack, and sat down in front of the tv ..... apparently I passed out .... I came to as she opened the door for a buddy that she called to assist. :whistling:  And all I wanted to know was, where is my snack ...  :P

The lady of the house was NOT impressed ...

PS - I FIRST thing I did at home was to check the helmet for any signs of impact damage - NONE.

PLEASE fill in your details on your club cards .... IF the pudding hits the fan, at least make it possible for the good Samaritan to contact your people.  AND, make sure your medical info is on that card !!!

Those A-frames are pesky...that's how I got done in as well courtesy of Hoogekraal. I ended up taking a bit of a trailside nap for a good while as I was out riding early afternoonish when Hoogies is usually deserted. That ICE info at the back of the card is definitely not just there for show.

27 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

Remember old Michael Schumacher? Same thing, he was up and about after the skiing fall, and then only went into a coma later. Now he's broccoli.

Who can forget him? He was probably the best driver ever to drive an F1 car in anger. 

Yes all you Lewis fans, I meant that...????

Wear an ICE ID especially when riding alone. Whoever finds you up will at least know which medical aid you belong to when they get you to the ER and you'll not be dumped at the nearest overwhelmed state hospital. They'll also phone the right person to come fetch you there (that's if you can be fetched to go home)

45 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

That's mean.

My ex fell on a notorious downhill on the Attakwas got up and carried on to pass out on the bike further along and fell again .Fortunately there was a marshall close by and that was the end of her race

22 minutes ago, DJR said:

Wear an ICE ID especially when riding alone. Whoever finds you up will at least know which medical aid you belong to when they get you to the ER and you'll not be dumped at the nearest overwhelmed state hospital. They'll also phone the right person to come fetch you there (that's if you can be fetched to go home)

I wear 2, one around my wrist and one on the helmet strap

28 minutes ago, DJR said:

where is the best place to get one?

1 hour ago, MTBeer said:

where is the best place to get one?

You get the classic old school Medic-Alert bracelets.

There also "dog tags" that you can wear around your neck.

Motorcyclists often attach a "dog tag" to the key ring .... now if only e-bikes had an ignition ... (we REALLY need CS font)

I have seen people attaching a dog tag to their helmet.

Most club membership cards have space to write the key information.

I have a set of data I print, then laminate and attach to the back of the club board.

Paramedics are trained to look for these typical tags.  They will also search your pockets and wallet for a medical aid card - IF they dont find the typical ICE dog tags first.

Worth noting that wallets often get stolen before paramedics arrive on site, so dont rely only on data in your wallet.  And with phones locked solid there is little use in having all your data "in" the phone.

All this reminds me .... I need to add my ICE details on my commuter ....

24 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

You get the classic old school Medic-Alert bracelets.What for?The ICE Bracelet has space for 5 lines if I remember

There also "dog tags" that you can wear around your neck.Bad idea.If it has not been caught on the bike and choking you,that is the first thing the para's remove.

Motorcyclists often attach a "dog tag" to the key ring .... now if only e-bikes had an ignition ... (we REALLY need CS font)

I have seen people attaching a dog tag to their helmet. Stupid

Most club membership cards have space to write the key information.Fine if you are in the club house

I have a set of data I print, then laminate and attach to the back of the club board.It needs to be on you,not the bike for obvious reasons

Paramedics are trained to look for these typical tags.  They will also search your pockets and wallet for a medical aid card - IF they dont find the typical ICE dog tags first.

Worth noting that wallets often get stolen before paramedics arrive on site, so dont rely only on data in your wallet.  And with phones locked solid there is little use in having all your data "in" the phone.

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

You get the classic old school Medic-Alert bracelets.

There also "dog tags" that you can wear around your neck.

I have seen people attaching a dog tag to their helmet.

Most club membership cards have space to write the key information.

I have a set of data I print, then laminate and attach to the back of the club board.

For your phone make the ice info the background to your Lock Screen. 

There are advantages to having the ICE details "on you".

But if you dont wear jewelry these tags are left at home more than it is used ....

Thus our approach of using the laminated ICE cards.  We do add a photo to the card, so it is easy enough to link the card to the person.  Not fool proof, but at least our ICE details are with us on EVERY ride.

ICE details on the helmet is actually well known with paramedics.  Only issue here is for people with multiple helmets ....

Clearly there is not a "one size fits all" solution for this.  Each has to find that solution that will be WITH them when needed, and ideally in one of the many options known to paramedics.   The only "bad spots" are the wallet and phone, as these are often stolen before the paramedics gets on the scene.

You get an ICE insert that you can put in your Garmin watch strap if you don't want an additional bracelet.  

I personally prefer the bracelet as I have small wrists so it's comfy once adjusted. 

5 hours ago, ouzo said:

iceid.co.za

Yep, best place. They have childrens' ones too, I got for mine.

All your important ICE details can be stored on your phone, that any decent paramedic know how to access. I think it should be more widely known just how accessible this info is.

It's just a case of accessing the emergency swipe on any phone. Everyone should have these details stored on one's phone. We all ride with our phones, and they can be our voice when we are unable to speak.

Here is a link for the Samsung ICE info:

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s10-series/ice-emergency-medical-details/td-p/1119584

7 hours ago, ouzo said:

iceid.co.za

I know this is obviously a really good idea, but medic alert bracelets are from when I was on the playground. But these guys seem to have taken it to a new level. they even have one called a "medical alert" - surely that is copyright infringement (assuming medic alert is still around)

R230 for a piece of silicone with some personal information printed on it....does it help you with balance and your energy fields?

oh wait. they have that too.

https://iceid.co.za/product/chakra-gemstone-accessory-black/

It's a good (but simple product), but i can't take these guys seriously.