Missing Cyclist - Rietvlei

Mojoman

Just so nobody gets distracted, this is the one you want. I've had one for about 5 years and it really stood up to some abuse. The silicone is still the same as when new. The clip is of better quality than many high end watches. The laser engraving lasted surprisingly well, although after a good bit of abuse, you have to read the numbers carefully nowadays. It is light and comfortable to wear. And b.t.w. I have no connection with IceID, just some experience of crashing and needing help afterwards.

PRO-BLACK.jpg

Edited by DJR

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Shebeen said:

I know this is obviously a really good idea, but medic alert bracelets are from when I was on the playground. But these guys seem to have taken it to a new level. they even have one called a "medical alert" - surely that is copyright infringement (assuming medic alert is still around)

R230 for a piece of silicone with some personal information printed on it....does it help you with balance and your energy fields?

oh wait. they have that too.

https://iceid.co.za/product/chakra-gemstone-accessory-black/

It's a good (but simple product), but i can't take these guys seriously.

I’ll debate this with you, had mine for 7 years, works out at 7c per day, but as a TRUE potential life saving product (speaks when you cannot...) is really is worth the once-off R230 cost - its quality, I am surprised by the affordability of it. You are way too negative on this, IMO. Welcome to your opinion, but way to strident, and then you go and suffer from confirmation bias, too , finding the chakra-product, too.

cheers

Chris

I'm still wearing the free one from Discovery 94.7 a few years ago ... has held up pretty well!

As interesting as this discussion is I'm not sure how that would have helped in this particular case or am I missing something?

8 hours ago, Shebeen said:

I know this is obviously a really good idea, but medic alert bracelets are from when I was on the playground. But these guys seem to have taken it to a new level. they even have one called a "medical alert" - surely that is copyright infringement (assuming medic alert is still around)

R230 for a piece of silicone with some personal information printed on it....does it help you with balance and your energy fields?

oh wait. they have that too.

https://iceid.co.za/product/chakra-gemstone-accessory-black/

It's a good (but simple product), but i can't take these guys seriously.

to be fair I have never paid full price. The Helmet strap one I got a big discount when they were running some promotion (might have even been through bikehub, to far back to remember), the silicon wrist one I got free through Discovery when doing the 947.

But as has  been stated, having that info available to some good Samaritan when I'm lying in a ditch half dead is worth it to me.

Is it a bit of a rip off, well isnt eveything related to sport these days a rip off ?

I also thought the full price was a bit steep until I had to replace a watch strap and ended up paying several times that for something that was of obviously poorer quality .

I got my first tag at the Cape Ultra a few years ago and thought it was a really good idea. Then the missus stumbled upon this iceid website. 

I've got the very basic one which I don't take off anymore and she also got me the watch strap one. She feels better knowing that should something happen some person might call her or might take my watch off my arm and off they go... You just never know.

2 hours ago, DJR said:

Just so nobody gets distracted, this is the one you want. I've had one for about 5 years and it really stood up to some abuse. The silicone is still the same as when new. The clip is of better quality than many high end watches. The laser engraving lasted surprisingly well, although after a good bit of abuse, you have to read the numbers carefully nowadays. It is light and comfortable to wear. And b.t.w. I have no connection with IceID, just some experience of crashing and needing help afterwards.

PRO-BLACK.jpg

I got one the other day - it is really good quality.

I've always had my ICE details on my cellphones lock screen, but figured these days my cellphone is more likely to be pocketed by someone before the paramedics arrive, so an ICE bracelet that has no value to someone else was a good idea... 

Just hope I never need it! 

2 hours ago, DJR said:

PRO-BLACK.jpg

I bought one in 2013 and as you say a bit worse for wear but still hanging in there.I think its time for a new one.Worn all the time.Accidents happen at the oriface,in the car,hiking,paddling wherever.

Recently a friend fell and knocked himself into a neuro ward for observation at Big red barn .He was alone and wandering about after the fall asking people silly questions until his family located him on the trails .I also ride mostly alone ,but that is just how my schedule works .Not ideal but i either ride alone or don,t ride 

4 hours ago, Zebra said:

I’ll debate this with you, had mine for 7 years, works out at 7c per day, but as a TRUE potential life saving product (speaks when you cannot...) is really is worth the once-off R230 cost - its quality, I am surprised by the affordability of it. You are way too negative on this, IMO. Welcome to your opinion, but way to strident, and then you go and suffer from confirmation bias, too , finding the chakra-product, too.

cheers

Chris

ok, I'm more than happy to be wrong here. let's just say livestrong and powerbalance might have clouded my judgement on what is acceptable here.

but these okes must be making a fortune. the margins must be amazing.

I did some looking around, they all cost this much, so maybe I'm missing something.

and medicalert.co.za do still exist, but seemed to have missed the boat on this.

7 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

ok, I'm more than happy to be wrong here. let's just say livestrong and powerbalance might have clouded my judgement on what is acceptable here.

but these okes must be making a fortune. the margins must be amazing.

I did some looking around, they all cost this much, so maybe I'm missing something.

and medicalert.co.za do still exist, but seemed to have missed the boat on this.

They definitely cost more than they should, but they at least dont claim to have super powers ala powerbalance

4 hours ago, DJR said:

I also thought the full price was a bit steep until I had to replace a watch strap and ended up paying several times that for something that was of obviously poorer quality .

Also went through this with Polar and Garmin.

And what is even worse is that the Generic Copy of the strap that I eventually went for never disintegrated, compared to the 1 year lifetime on the Polar and the 2-3year on the Garmin watch strap.

Got a band for Parkrun when they were just about a year or two old in SA, think I paid R140 with all the details on there. Still use it to this day as my ICE band.

ICEID - is  a local owner managed business , the sort we should all support , a quality product that is unlikely to go awol in an accident like , activity watches , garmins and phones.

Mine lives in my "Ride Box" , and goes on with gloves , glasses and helmet for every ride. Pepper spray , A ziplock for phone with  rennie's  and coffee cash live here to ????

https://iceid.co.za/#!/about

I am not associated with them in any way other than buying for me and my family and have received mailing list promo codes

46 minutes ago, eala said:

Recently a friend fell and knocked himself into a neuro ward for observation at Big red barn .He was alone and wandering about after the fall asking people silly questions until his family located him on the trails .I also ride mostly alone ,but that is just how my schedule works .Not ideal but i either ride alone or don,t ride 

This suggests that if one comes across someone wandering around aimlessly while out riding and generally not making sense that they have been concussed (clear distinction needs to apply such as do they look like they belong on a bike instead...so as not to be confused with the general riff raff of society doing the same but being more chemically concussed). I had similar rantings when I had major concussion such as having a lengthy chat with my cousin about her brother and myself planning a trip to OZ to go ride the trails around that part of the world. She does not have a brother. There was no trip. I've never been to OZ.

20 minutes ago, ouzo said:

They definitely cost more than they should, but they at least dont claim to have super powers ala powerbalance

but they do sell that!

The purpose of wearing a Chakra bracelet, beyond the evident beauty of the gemstones used, is to harmonize, balance, open, and heal the different chakra regions.