Missing Cyclist - Rietvlei

Mojoman

19 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

well that's why I'll never get my point across. if you're paying R700 for 9? coffees then you roll in a different league to me. [comic sans intended]

jokes aside. most people have clearly missed my point as they're all harping on about the safety aspect. I'm not debating that. I'm saying a R3000 helmet is not better than a R1000 helmet, and to be dead honest helmets should cost R150 because they are cheap to make.

Nope, I meant, R350 for 10 coffees not R350x2 for 10 coffees. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Is there not more to this though ?

Think they keep a record of alergies etc, more info than on the bracelet alone.... in which case there is significant costs to maintain a database and be available at all times that paramedics may need this info ...

At least that is what I heard decades ago ....

Would appreciate update info on this

medic alert is ages old

pre technology days

i have worn one now for about 50 years

started off as a place where you wore a bracelet/ necklace  to alert to allergies etc in case of medical emergencies

has evolved over time but essentially the same warns of allergies i have also added organ donor info to mine

it doesn't have any tech features just a member number linked to a 24 hour help line with contact info

suppose old school stuff still works

edit lately they have tried to make bracelet more fashionable so you get gold and silver versions that look like jewelry and you pay jewelry price, but you can still get a stock standard stainless steel version

Edited by rorydewet

1 hour ago, ouzo said:

When I think of iceid tags I always think back to my dads accident.

71 years old, knocked off his bike on a busy main road. Was not concussed but certainly daised and confused (and in pain). Was it not for someone he knows driving past and recognising him and recognising he was in distress who knows what would have happened.

Hence mine goes on for every ride, and if I do happen to forget the wrist tag (hard to do as it always sits in my helmet when not on my arm), then my helmet has a tag on

I just remembered an incident way back in 2014 when I was riding alone one early evening. I was going full tilt up Marine Drive in Blouberg when a car decided to forego stopping at the stop (by KFC) and cruised right across my path. I slammed on full anchors but got chucked over the bars straight onto my pip on the tar.

I picked myself up and hopped out of the road and minutes later I was still trying to give the guy my wife's mobile number. I remember still trying to recall the number myself. it was a bit like 0 ........ 7..........................................6......................................................................9 0 ................................3 and then I blacked out before coming to lying in the plants beside the road.

I looked for the guy and saw him doing a runner to his car. He left me there. Shortly thereafter I was nearly relieved of my phone and bike by some passers-by as by then the sun was beginning to set, but somehow I managed to convince them doing some free-range shopping was not a good idea. (what they did not know was that I was completely unable to stop them if they tried). I managed to get my wife to come fetch me about 20 minutes or so later by which time it was properly nighttime.

ICE id's are a thing for a reason.

So for those of us riding with our important info on the back of our membership board, is there any additional value in get an ICE bracelet?

also, might sound dumb now...but last year when i got bike jacked and all my crap with it....I couldn't phone anyone even when the good samaritan that picked my up gave me his phone....and in that moment i found out that I was unable to recall any numbers by hart lol, even though I actually do know 2 or 3 important ones by hart. I ended up having to google my mother in law (property agent) so I could get a number to call haha

3 minutes ago, MTBeer said:

So for those of us riding with our important info on the back of our membership board, is there any additional value in get an ICE bracelet?

see above. If you get stabbed and your bike taken and left for dead...

4 minutes ago, MORNE said:

also, might sound dumb now...but last year when i got bike jacked and all my crap with it....I couldn't phone anyone even when the good samaritan that picked my up gave me his phone....and in that moment i found out that I was unable to recall any numbers by hart lol, even though I actually do know 2 or 3 important ones by hart. I ended up having to google my mother in law (property agent) so I could get a number to call haha

Would have just walked home

ICE ID is part of my regimen but this scares me as I do ride alone a lot. If you bash your head then be careful and make sure you get checked out. I spent a week on a ventilator after flaking out 7 days later, aspirated a lung, stopped breathing, missed a wedding which happened to be my own and then had some fancy wave forms on an EEG. But thats a story for another day.:-)

6 minutes ago, MORNE said:

see above. If you get stabbed and your bike taken and left for dead...

Ah yes. OBVIAAAS.

Thanks

3 minutes ago, MORNE said:

funny....she instantly knew something was wrong because I NEVER call her LOL

You laugh, my first bike jacking was in the dark and after police dropped me back at scene as it was before 7am and the station was closed and they were off duty I just ran home. 

5 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

You laugh, my first bike jacking was in the dark and after police dropped me back at scene as it was before 7am and the station was closed and they were off duty I just ran home. 

assuming you took your shoes off? did you run barefoot or in socks? that would mean you held them in your hands, which means you hat your helmet on still yes? Sorry, trying to picture a barefoot guy in lycra running with a helmet on - while holding his shoes in his hands - out in the dark????

Edited by MORNE

35 minutes ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

, missed a wedding which happened to be my own and then had some fancy wave forms on an EEG. But thats a story for another day.:-)

Are there not easier ways to get out of your wedding? ????

48 minutes ago, MORNE said:

assuming you took your shoes off? did you run barefoot or in socks? that would mean you held them in your hands, which means you hat your helmet on still yes? Sorry, trying to picture a barefoot guy in lycra running with a helmet on - while holding his shoes in his hands - out in the dark????

Pretty much spot on. 

3 hours ago, MORNE said:

This, and a couple of similar replies, had my thinking about our approach ....

A bike jacking could really leave me "stranded" ....

Thanks for the links to this - https://iceid.co.za/product/helmet-id/

Order placed :thumbup: