Hoogekraal Prospecting application

JJACK

well there goes that.

edit: landowner probably got offered metric crap tons of money to lease out the land for mining. they are literally digging up all of durbanville hills. 10 years from now it's going to look like one big quarry. Anyway...it is their land to do with what they want I guess.

and just to be clear...that notice for comment is probably not even aimed at the people using it for cycling lol. it's up there on a mini piece of paper because it has to be.

Edited by MORNE

Will be a very sad day if we won't be able ride there. This is for sure one of the best trails in the country.

Edited by JJACK

26 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I suppose that explains the appearance of the road works lot at the trail head. Well that sucks.

I don't think they are related to the mining.

24 minutes ago, MORNE said:

and just to be clear...that notice for comment is probably not even aimed at the people using it for cycling lol. it's up there on a mini piece of paper because it has to be.

Yes, unfortunately a bunch of mountain bikers objecting to losing a cycling trail will not affect the decision in any way. However, Cape Nature is apparently busy with an objection and the Renosterveld Trust is also getting involved.

Apparently that farm has been for sale for some time. Not sure how true, also didnt bother to check. It would be an ideal investment though. If anyone is planning. I just want space for a house

On a ride around my village this weekend I saw we also have some prospecting applications going up....We have had these problems for years though, the guys come and go....nothing really happens...

I guess it costs too much to grease a lot of palms these days...

Great to hear that Cape Nature involved. Tyberberg MTB club also signed up as affected party. 

Will hate to have to stare at a another quarry in the area. Protect the Renosterbos ! ????????

Surface rights have nothing to do with mineral rights in SA. It changed a few years ago and it was a mission of note to motivate to hold them after the change.

My understanding that this needs a lot of due diligence. Interested parties MUST make their views known and voices heard. If this is still still in 'call for comment' stage, then comment. Nothing's been slammed. Nothing's been dunked.

In the mean time I'll hit some people up that may know more.

EDIT - this is also a prospecting right. Very different to a mining/quarrying right, though, how a future operator chooses to act in that regard is debatable 

Edited by lechatnoir

26 minutes ago, HenryS said:

I don't think they are related to the mining.

Yes, unfortunately a bunch of mountain bikers objecting to losing a cycling trail will not affect the decision in any way. However, Cape Nature is apparently busy with an objection and the Renosterveld Trust is also getting involved.

trust me..money makes them go away very fast, especially if WC government decides it's worth it ito local economy. Something similar happened in a project recently announced in the city. Lots of red tape was made to go away...

this reminds me of the pipe track (?) above the road from Hout Bay up to Constantia Nek. Any news on that closure?

Date of 5 May has already passed ....

Ship has sailed to become an "interested party" ...

6 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Date of 5 May has already passed ....

Ship has sailed to become an "interested party" ...

5 June is mentioned as well: "Objections can be sent to Siphumelelo@siteplan.co.za. Ref Prospecting Right DMRE Ref WC 10350 PR - Portion Farm 1098. The cut off date for comments etc is 5 th June, 2021!  Please let us stand together in this proposed drastic change in our environment and register NOW!!!"

A couple of weeks back we drove up to port owen. I astounded to see how visible some of the mines have become the further up the west coast road you drive. This means that those mine have had a massive size increase. 

Although not mine related, we can kiss the wetlands of the river club good bye. Although also many objections etc putting a hold on it. 

I recall someone from the club management one day informing me that the plans for a new DH line at Hoogekraal were shelved as the land was placed up for sale. I didn't think much of it at the time...but now...hmmmm.

Love how they make a point of mentioning it's 2.5km away from a waste disposal site. I guess that's to make it seem like less of a big deal. Nevermind it being located in the middle of a recreational area that serves thousands of people. 

I've heard through a grapevine that Hoogekraal has had a very troubled past in terms of ownership, not sure how true any of it is, but quite sad if it is.