Tokyo Olympics 2020 - Cycling

Shebeen

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My view on the olympics and professionals and just the Olympics in general is that it is a waste of money, resource and an excuse for all the rich to feel good about themselves while the spirit of the games is lost among organisational embezzlement, crooked tenders and unnecessary cost.

TV rights sold for billions and nothing is given back to those in need.

I'm anti, I don't think anyone should go on principle, regardless of whether they are national champs of any country.

5 minutes ago, Sharkie 2 said:

I edited my original post above. UCI selection rules for Olympics are also at play.

Not much change in the men's RR list. Still 25 riders to choose from.

2 hours ago, stringbean said:

Alan and Ash.That’s it.The rest are just there for the holiday.Sorrif I’m opening a can of worms.Surly the criteria should be current form on international racing.Imagine if they sent people on their Strava form lol.

I'm not sure you have perspective of who some of the other athletes are, what disciplines they race or what they sacrificed in terms of travelling all over the world with tiny budget to make sure they can gather the points they required. 

The three track athletes for one, definitely were the athletes who gathered the international points required to qualify these slots. ANd qualification was wholly determined by international ranking and points they have collected.  Whilst they might not be medal contenders, they are for sure not there for the holiday and deserve to be there after 4 years of continued focus and sacrifice. 

2 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

My view on the olympics and professionals and just the Olympics in general is that it is a waste of money, resource and an excuse for all the rich to feel good about themselves while the spirit of the games is lost among organisational embezzlement, crooked tenders and unnecessary cost.

TV rights sold for billions and nothing is given back to those in need.

I'm anti, I don't think anyone should go on principle, regardless of whether they are national champs of any country.

Agreed 99.97%. I believe that if it's not the pinnacle of the sport to win the Olympic gold, that sport shouldn't be in the Olympics.

There is not a tennis player or golfer who would prefer a Olympic medal to winning a major. TdeF or Olympic gold ? No question which cyclists would choose.

I make an exception for low-key sports where athletes do not make a fortune and where the Olympics are still the dream. Rowing, a sport close to my heart, being one. I'm sure there are more.

Ps. Any event where you are are judged, rather than measured or timed, is not a sport and has no place at the Olympics. Sorry rhythmic gymnastics, synchronized swimming,  figure skating, Eurovision song contest, etc. no matter how hard you work or how entertaining you are, you belong on Britain has got talent not a sporting competition.

53 minutes ago, eddy said:

Agreed 99.97%. I believe that if it's not the pinnacle of the sport to win the Olympic gold, that sport shouldn't be in the Olympics.

There is not a tennis player or golfer who would prefer a Olympic medal to winning a major. TdeF or Olympic gold ? No question which cyclists would choose.

I make an exception for low-key sports where athletes do not make a fortune and where the Olympics are still the dream. Rowing, a sport close to my heart, being one. I'm sure there are more.

Ps. Any event where you are are judged, rather than measured or timed, is not a sport and has no place at the Olympics. Sorry rhythmic gymnastics, synchronized swimming,  figure skating, Eurovision song contest, etc. no matter how hard you work or how entertaining you are, you belong on Britain has got talent not a sporting competition.

I'm so glad I'm not alone in this.

Introducing Rugby and Golf etc where guys are earning millions to create TV rights and a broader viewing is a farce. The 'Olympic Spirit' is now just lost amongst global sport stars and money. The corruption is massive.

Having been involved quite high up the ladder at a few (as well as other global games/world cups) I can tell you the money involved is frightening. Unnecessarily so.

Anyway, I digress. SA will send 65 athletes, 65 politicians and their families and waste millions financing holidays. 

I'm entirely over the whole thing. I stopped watching Olympics in 2012 after London and the OC sucked my soul from my body 

3 hours ago, eddy said:

It means a lot to athletes in certain sporting codes. 

I saw today after the first round of squad announcements, we have a family member who has been selected (ladies hockey) and man she's worked so so hard to get here all while juggling  her studies (medicine ).. So many sacrifices  with no support in the form of government funding.. A national team with zero funding.... It means the world to her... She is so so incredibly proud to have been selected... And we are all so very proud of her. 

And to add she had COVID in Dec  and as we've seen with many athletes the recovery was long and it took her a good 2 months to be able to train at the level required...

Edited by Gen

2 hours ago, Gen said:

It means a lot to athletes in certain sporting codes. 

I saw today after the first round of squad announcements, we have a family member who has been selected (ladies hockey) and man she's worked so so hard to get here all while juggling  her studies (medicine ).. So many sacrifices  with no support in the form of government funding.. A national team with zero funding.... It means the world to her... She is so so incredibly proud to have been selected... And we are all so very proud of her. 

And to add she had COVID in Dec  and as we've seen with many athletes the recovery was long and it took her a good 2 months to be able to train at the level required...

Yip, @Gen 

I work closely with several athletes over the last 24 months and this is, undoubtedly, the ‘greatest show on earth’. Working patiently and quietly to ‘get ready to get ready’ after the postponement of 2020 has been quite tough. 

E.g. The 12 month long laser focus to chase a tough qualification time in the 50m sprint of the sprinter swimmer I journeyed with and eventually getting her text message reflecting a pic of her time on the electronic scoreboard - priceless.

The man and woman in the arena - phew, it is a tough pursuit. Bless their courageous hearts, bodies and minds, and the wall of support behind them. ????

Sadly, there is substantial risk of the Olympics not happening. Intense times. 

Edited by 'Dale

9 hours ago, b-rad said:

Candice vs Mariske? Thoughts?

I think Mariske should have got the spot. She's in better form and on an upward trajectory

My 2 cents worth:

Gibbons a definite good choice. Top Saffa in the UCI rankings (70th) and has shown good results in the recent events in Spain which have all been pretty bumpy. Also not doing TDF so should be pretty fresh.

Impey also a good choice. UCI Ranking 195. Not sure how he is healing up post his crash in the Vuelta a Andalucia. Also down to do TDF so could be tired going into the Olympics with there being only a couple days between end of TDF and Olympics.

Dlamini not so sure. UCI ranking of 609. 

Would rather of looked at the likes of Maincheese 

It seems there is quite a lot of noise to cancel the show - from within Japan.

I'm happy to see Alan line up, I think perhaps him and Ash are the only ones will will see feature, perhaps top ten or five, medals maybe, just maybe if Lady Luck is in town.

41 minutes ago, FondTF2 said:

My 2 cents worth:

Gibbons a definite good choice. Top Saffa in the UCI rankings (70th) and has shown good results in the recent events in Spain which have all been pretty bumpy. Also not doing TDF so should be pretty fresh.

Impey also a good choice. UCI Ranking 195. Not sure how he is healing up post his crash in the Vuelta a Andalucia. Also down to do TDF so could be tired going into the Olympics with there being only a couple days between end of TDF and Olympics.

Have you looked at the RR route and profile.? 

2 hours ago, FondTF2 said:

My 2 cents worth:

2 hours ago, FondTF2 said:

My 2 cents worth:

There's nearly 5000 meters of climbing. Gibbons will not be a factor. That sort of climbing is going to be very very hard for Impey to get past and make the selection. Both are great riders, but the selectors (as usual) do not select on the horses for courses system, but rather some archaic and hard to fathom system.

Dlamini can at least climb with the best in the world on his day.