• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

saturday morning around 4am

So....highlights it is then

5 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

So as I hadn't seen this being discussed, I thought I would drop this here....

With the last 3 Olympic winners being shrouded in doping bans and accusations, I hope the winner of the road race is deserving.

not sure how many people consider GVA a drug cheat, he sure does deserve a sanction for wearing that bloody gold helmet for na extra year though. Looking through the list, very few of the riders stick out as greats in the sport. (Been 109 years since we won it, kamaan De Bod.)

image.png.79c6fcefe7e021386638c176f714c09b.png

image.png.2fb525403085b59a46a1d90fdf27048e.png

13 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

not sure how many people consider GVA a drug cheat, he sure does deserve a sanction for wearing that bloody gold helmet for na extra year though. Looking through the list, very few of the riders stick out as greats in the sport. (Been 109 years since we won it, kamaan De Bod.)

Professional cyclists were only allowed to participate from 1988....

But I bet your bottom dollar that the amateurs before 1988 were doping on HGH , and testosterone. 

The inclusion of professional riders probably went some way toward cleaning up the field since they were tested more frequently than the amateur riders that could be manipulated by their federation coaching and medical structures more frequently

Edited by DieselnDust

7 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Professional cyclists were only allowed to participate from 1988....

But I bet your bottom dollar that the amateurs before 1988 were doping on HGH , and testosterone. 

oh. no wonder the one merckx you see there is not the one you expect then.

:) Nope.

In fact It wasn't the 1988 Olympic games were Pro's were allowed it was as late as the 1996 Atlanta Games.

So most amateurs about to step up the Pro ranks would probably use the ORR to get noticed by team manager/selectors and then turn Professional.

Edited by DieselnDust

image.png.d781bb9bafb21cfe6ebb1982fe74e435.png

Wish it was a mountain top finish. 4865m of climbing is no joke though
Some thoughts after looking at the start list:

Can't count out Valverde, and he has decent support from Izaguire x2 and Fraile. 

Porte, Thomas, Woods won't make it down the last descent in one piece if they're trying to hold a gap, so they're not real threats I don't think. Nibali is washed, so I doubt he's a threat either, but a few years ago would have been a major contender.

Would love to see Remco and WVA working together for one of them to win. The world is not ready for this though, so it probably won't happen.

Great Britain has a strong team for the parkour - Yates, Yates, Thomas & Hart. 

Solvenia too - Pog, Rog, Tratnik & Polanc.

And Netherlands - Dumoulin, Mollema, Van Baarle, Kelderman. 

How is Allaphalpe not riding for France and Cosnefroy is? Cosnefroy did absolutely nothing at the tour. 

Gotta wonder how much the tour is gonna effect the race, and how much of an advantage the guys will have that didn't ride it.
Thinking of that, I reckon Adam Yates is probably a good pick all things considered. 

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/tokyo-olympics-road-race-and-time-trial-start-list/

7 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

Can't count out Valverde, and he has decent support from Izaguire x2 and Fraile. 

Porte, Thomas, Woods won't make it down the last descent in one piece if they're trying to hold a gap, so they're not real threats I don't think. Nibali is washed, so I doubt he's a threat either, but a few years ago would have been a major contender.

Would love to see Remco and WVA working together for one of them to win. The world is not ready for this though, so it probably won't happen.

How is Allaphalpe not riding for France and Cosnefroy is? Cosnefroy did absolutely nothing at the tour. 

Gotta wonder how much the tour is gonna effect the race, and how much of an advantage the guys will have that didn't ride it.
Thinking of that, I reckon Adam Yates is probably a good pick all things considered. 

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/tokyo-olympics-road-race-and-time-trial-start-list/

Alaphillipe opted out of the ORR citing other objectives so Cosnefroy got the spot.

Can't blame him for wanting to stay home with his new born, Marion and prep for World Champs road race instead

11 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

I agree that it is going to be a big ask for a TdF rider to win. Further I agree that Adam Yates is one of the biggest favourites and won't underestimate Max Schachmann and Gianni Moscon either. 

28 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

Remember last year at the World Champs, we wondered the same.

But the nett result was that the TDF riders were not disadvantaged. They won both races and had equal representation in the top 10s.

I think the defining factor is the fact that the best riders in the world ride the TDF, so it is expected that they will do well, even with 'some' fatigue in the legs. 

Edited by Vetplant

34 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Alaphillipe opted out of the ORR citing other objectives so Cosnefroy got the spot.

Can't blame him for wanting to stay home with his new born, Marion and prep for World Champs road race instead

That makes much more sense. I thought they chose Cosnefroy over Ala for a second ????

58 minutes ago, dsw said:

I agree that it is going to be a big ask for a TdF rider to win. Further I agree that Adam Yates is one of the biggest favourites and won't underestimate Max Schachmann and Gianni Moscon either. 

Adam Yates? Surely you jest....

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

I see a saffa dropped valverde on the final climb to win in 1912 

4 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Adam Yates? Surely you jest....

Why not? 

Positives: showed excellent form so far this year, should be relatively fresh, is very good climber, not bad in one day races, rides for a strong team.

Negatives: Might struggle in the heat, ?? 

Surely he must stand a fair chance?