Tokyo Olympics 2020 - Cycling

Shebeen

1 hour ago, dsw said:

I Just read an article on netwerk24 in which they listed the SA athletes who they reckon have best chances for a medal. The names mentioned are: Tatjana Schoenmaker, Akani Simbine, Blitzbokke, Chad, Wayde, and Men's rowing.

Not a word about Alan or Ashleigh.

No word on the triathlon front.

Henri is a medal hope.

Not sure about Richards health, on good health outside chance.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I agree with Shebeen.

Alan is not expected to medal, he has not placed top 3 in Elites yet. It would be unexpected. I suppose when one considers 'medal hopefuls' one would include him as, well, there IS hope, but he wouldn't fall under the 'likely medalist' list.

52 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Indeed, king of the slam stem setup. Miss that guy

And that negative 25 degree saddle! Not a conventional guy that - made the bike fitter in me cringe every time I saw him ride.

Random thought - I wonder if that nose down saddle was the cause of his knee issues? Makes sense - it rolls the pelvis forward and puts more pressure on the knees - combine that with a crazy drop....

3 hours ago, J Wakefield said:

They use their own helmets also mostly 

Cool to see Tadej and Jan Polanc wearing plain white Met helmets and not their red and black UAE helmets which would look abit funny with their green and blue kit.

14 minutes ago, Eldron said:

And that negative 25 degree saddle! Not a conventional guy that - made the bike fitter in me cringe every time I saw him ride.

Random thought - I wonder if that nose down saddle was the cause of his knee issues? Makes sense - it rolls the pelvis forward and puts more pressure on the knees - combine that with a crazy drop....

Richard Murray disapproves of your knee-injury-saddle-tilt theory ????.

DEtGXyJXsAA9hCH.jpg.c51cc70eed1a4a00d1fd947a25a49893.jpg

(His old bike, yes I know)

28 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Yeah, I agree with Shebeen.

Alan is not expected to medal, he has not placed top 3 in Elites yet. It would be unexpected. I suppose when one considers 'medal hopefuls' one would include him as, well, there IS hope, but he wouldn't fall under the 'likely medalist' list.

We'll move onto our chances in the men's road and women's mtb next.

the fact that we aren't discussing them kind of shows you where they are, unfortunately.

29 minutes ago, DJuice said:

No word on the triathlon front.

Henri is a medal hope.

Not sure about Richards health, on good health outside chance.

Actually watched full replay (with skipping) of the Rio men's tri the other day.

Henri did bloody well there, murray with a decent swim and it would have been spicy of note. 

3 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

YEah except when you ride for Sweden and you're the only female representative for your country. Then you get caught up in the most awful politics this sport can throw at you

One of sport administration's worst failures and a complete betrayal of care to the athlete. I'm certain this played a large role in Rissved's break from the sport. 

30 minutes ago, Chris_ said:

Richard Murray disapproves of your knee-injury-saddle-tilt theory ????.

DEtGXyJXsAA9hCH.jpg.c51cc70eed1a4a00d1fd947a25a49893.jpg

(His old bike, yes I know)

Dunno who Bill Murray's brother is, but he must have painful nuts after a ride on that. 

48 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Cool to see Tadej and Jan Polanc wearing plain white Met helmets and not their red and black UAE helmets which would look abit funny with their green and blue kit.

Where would i find a photo?

1 hour ago, dsw said:

On the subject of American female cyclist I see Chloe Dygert is entered for road and track. Taking into consideration the extend of her injuries any success in Tokyo will be remarkable. If she is fully recovered it will probably be nearly impossible for anyone to beat her in the road ITT.

Good, good, she can close gaps all day for Coryn.

39 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

murray with a decent swim

... would probably be one of the best triathletes of all time. 

(read in a different font if you like but its not far off)

2 minutes ago, Chris_ said:

This is so true!

13 minutes ago, Chris_ said:

He was a world champ in the duathlon before he switched to tri.

Irrelevant but just for the record:

When tri's it became popular in SA it was completely dominated by a big ex navy diver and swimmer who also had frightening power on the bike and was after the bike leg so far ahead that none of the better runners had a chance to get close to him. 

No drafting was allowed back then.

I doubt whether Richard would have ever caught him.

12 minutes ago, dsw said:

Irrelevant but just for the record:

When tri's it became popular in SA it was completely dominated by a big ex navy diver and swimmer who also had frightening power on the bike and was after the bike leg so far ahead that none of the better runners had a chance to get close to him. 

No drafting was allowed back then.

I doubt whether Richard would have ever caught him.

Drafting should still not be allowed in TRI, it should be "time trial" scenario, but that's just mho.

7 minutes ago, TheoG said:

Drafting should still not be allowed in TRI, it should be "time trial" scenario, but that's just mho.

The "new" rules probably make for better tv viewing but I fully agree with you.