The winning paint job also looked very nice. IMHO 

Kit was elegantly simple too

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, kosmonooit said:

Something to do with the heat and humidity I mentioned?

I checked the weather for the course and it was pretty temperate. 20 degrees at 60%humidity. It spiked at 26degrees and 65%humidity. That's not an alarming wet bulb temp by any stretch

The Event Commentary was Rochelle Gilmore and other guy (Kiwi?) I don't know, Eurosport feed somehow had them on the last 10 mins, some cock-up with the audio comms, it was terrible. We had the sound from a tennis match earlier.  At Rio it was Michelle and the Saffa Gerald, I think they were quite a good team. He told me 18 months ago he had the Tokyo gig but maybe Covid travel restrictions put an end to that.

It was Matt Stephens and Bri Smith on GCN / Europsort. The latter talks to much in my opinion.

On BBC it was/is Chris Boardman and Simon Brotherton (?) - not too bad at all. They did the outdoor cycling events for London, including mtb, which was quite poor.

7 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

I checked the weather for the course and it was pretty temperate. 20 degrees at 60%humidity. It spiked at 26degrees and 65%humidity. That's not an alarming wet bulb temp by any stretch

Maybe the numbers are misleading, although higher up in the mountains it probably was a bit more mild.

According to what I am reading and seeing (vlogs, news reports etc) the heat/conditions in Tokyo are debilitating.

Should I paste a few links FYI?

Here's a freshly minted one:

Tokyo Olympics: Gold medals, shock exits, high temperatures and positive Covid tests on day one

"Athletes complained about exhausting conditions given the combination of high temperatures and humidity, with several tennis players asking for matches to be moved to start later in the day.

Cyclists in the men's road race in particular felt the strain, but Ecuador's Richard Carapaz managed to defy the conditions, convincingly winning his nation's second ever gold medal"

1 hour ago, kosmonooit said:

Maybe the numbers are misleading, although higher up in the mountains it probably was a bit more mild.

According to what I am reading and seeing (vlogs, news reports etc) the heat/conditions in Tokyo are debilitating.

Should I paste a few links FYI?

Must agree, the riders were carrying spare bottles, Nic at 1 stage had 1 bottle in his back pocket too, Cant remember which rider it was but on the final incline he took what looked like a 2L bottle of ice cold water from someone on the side of the road just to throw all over himself, So I doubt the temps were that low!! 

Only a few km in and the butchering has already started

5 leaders nearly 7 minutes ahead of Peloton, 122k to go

1 hour ago, J Wakefield said:

As reference here is some temp data from a file:

1st pic average with the max temp of the road race

2nd is the average and max on top of climb 

774387FE-58F0-4995-A063-364A98F8F197.jpeg

5BAA41AE-EBA1-495F-B9C6-43102156E3DF.jpeg

I thought McNulty made a good go of it.  I really wanted him to medal because it’s good for cycling but also because I love it when domestiques shine

PS pogacar for green next year 

It's cool to see SA represented in both the break and at the front of the Peleton. Also good to see Vera up the road, a regular face on the local race circuit for years.

I see both have subsequently popped.... ????

Edited by Jewbacca